Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a good point. Ditto MCC members. There's no doubt that in the AFL and MCC combined there would probably be 22-23,000 neutrals if full. Then add the possibly thousands of neutrals in all the hospitality corporate areas. I don't think it would be inaccurate to suggest neutrals will account for 25,000 of the 90,000 on Saturday night.. Still 60,000+ Tigers fans but not necessarily the most one sided crowd in AFL history. Maybe, maybe not.

This is why crowd splits are and always will be impossible to tell at MCG/Etihad games unless you have access to turnstile data.

So, the AFL Members section has just over 20k capacity for the Prelim and Richmond and GWS club support number only a few thousand. Guest passes are restricted to just the middle and back sections of Level 4 and are prohibitively expensive. Even accounting for those who 'loan' their memberships out, neutrals look to be taking up at the very least half the section, or more than 10k.

Looking forward to this being counted as 20k Richmond fans again.

I 100% agree with the logic of what you say, and it makes complete sense, but if you look back at the replay you can see a hell of a lot of Yellow and Black in the AFL reserve for the Qualifying Final.

I think you are right and the neutrals will be huge on Saturday as it's the biggest game in the City probably since the Pies were in a prelim. (Hawks prelims were big, but I don't think they would of captured the neutral attention quite like this)

If it's going to get into the 90s we will need 20-25000 neutrals to rock up, simply as the General tiger population won't have access to these areas

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I 100% agree with the logic of what you say, and it makes complete sense, but if you look back at the replay you can see a hell of a lot of Yellow and Black in the AFL reserve for the Qualifying Final.

I think you are right and the neutrals will be huge on Saturday as it's the biggest game in the City probably since the Pies were in a prelim. (Hawks prelims were big, but I don't think they would of captured the neutral attention quite like this)

If it's going to get into the 90s we will need 20-25000 neutrals to rock up, simply as the General tiger population won't have access to these areas

I think there's little doubt that the MCC will be full. Many of the finals this year have been interstate (meaning we've been starved a bit) and the new intake of restricted members took effect from September 1, with the club having an intake of 10,000 above 'normal' levels to try and cut the waiting list down to a reasonable level. With that in mind, I would be staggered if the MCC wasn't full.

It's a good point. Ditto MCC members. There's no doubt that in the AFL and MCC combined there would probably be 22-23,000 neutrals if full. Then add the possibly thousands of neutrals in all the hospitality corporate areas. I don't think it would be inaccurate to suggest neutrals will account for 25,000 of the 90,000 on Saturday night.. Still 60,000+ Tigers fans but not necessarily the most one sided crowd in AFL history. Maybe, maybe not.

In terms of turnouts from fans of one club I've no doubt it'll be up there with the 1996 Ess v WC semi final and the 2002 Coll v Adel prelim for sure. Just don't like the laziness of ascribing all fans automatically to Richmond and the ignoring of what is usually a substantial neutral turnout for MCG finals.

In favour of those two earlier finals is that Essendon and Collingwood had far greater numbers of AFL members and significantly more in the MCC as well. But there will be less GWS fans than WC or Adel had etc.

Exactly right. Hopefully it gets there as well. The more the merrier. I'm really looking forward to it..

Neutrals will be about 10-15K on Saturday with about 75-80K Tigers. Don't underestimate the number of AFL members who lend there card out it's a not uncommon at all. I've seen the MCC and AFL choccas with yellow and black before.

Personally don't think the crowd will be as big as some expect 75K-80K is my tip , not that that is anything to be ashamed of..
Hope i am wrong , the idea of us getting 90k against an interstate club is mind blowing(even if need help from neutrals)
I suppose we will start to get an idea tomorrow..

As for the other game anyone willing to guess how many geelong people will go over 5k? Would be good to see it not completely one sided..

I think there will be a bit of support among neutrals for GWS. Not all, but a bit.

I remember The AFL members erupting in 1995 when Roger Merrett put the Bears in front during the third quarter against the Blues. The Bears would have had about 30% of crowd support that day, even though they would have only supplied 1,000 of their own fans.

I doubt very much, that every Carlton, Collingwood or Essendon fan in the AFL members on Saturday will be going for Richmond. Sure some will, maybe even most, but not all.

Personally don't think the crowd will be as big as some expect 75K-80K is my tip , not that that is anything to be ashamed of..
Hope i am wrong , the idea of us getting 90k against an interstate club is mind blowing(even if need help from neutrals)
I suppose we will start to get an idea tomorrow..

As for the other game anyone willing to guess how many geelong people will go over 5k? Would be good to see it not completely one sided..

If Hawks can draw 74000 to a prelim against the power, we need to draw 80000

So, the AFL Members section has just over 20k capacity for the Prelim and Richmond and GWS club support number only a few thousand. Guest passes are restricted to just the middle and back sections of Level 4 and are prohibitively expensive. Even accounting for those who 'loan' their memberships out, neutrals look to be taking up at the very least half the section, or more than 10k.

Looking forward to this being counted as 20k Richmond fans again

Wow did someone actually say that? Hard to believe that anyone could claim that we had the whole amount in the reserve. Im not sure if u realise that Richmond 3131 members and i believe tiger executive members too have access to buy in the AFL reserve.
Also, loaning out memberships happens more than u realise I have 4 extra barcodes non Richmond im using them to buy tkts on top of my own...My niece has 3 off a friend all ess, we'll use those too...

Not even sure why u mentioned it Manic why it even bothers you. Whether theirs 10K or 15K in the reserve following Richmond, whatever it is it is....Theirs going to be neutrals thats a given...

Last edited:
If it hits 90k+ my word it will be the biggest lop sided crowd ever, i mean gws has the lowest supporter base in the league!
Oppos will climb Everest to see a Richmond loss though. :D:drunk:

The amount of oppos ringing up SEN melting over the one Richmond win while the dj calls us ferrals lol.

We truly are, #everyonesgrandfinal regardless of the result this week.

Will be interesting to see what tactics the media use against Richmond this week.

Ur spot on i was in the reserve V the cats and there were yellow & black everywhere but we dont actually have 10K+ in memberships in the reserve only pies do but obtaining barcodes is the way to go im one person have 4 for this game and my niece 3 thats 7 non Richmond we are using...How many others doing the same to get extra tkts for family & friends for the finals...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No chance. Enough tax payer money has been soent on the ground
That stadium has paid itself within 5 years, the amount of money it generates for tourism is enormous, adele concert, rolling stones, football matches, cricket ect. We just spent 2 billion on a hospital, why not make one our best attractions even better?

I want to agree with you regarding the storm and giants. But I'm not sure that's how the NRL would see it. From their perspective, they've made basically zero grassroots investment in Melbourne, yet the storm match or out rate the swans (let alone the giants) on TV in their home markets. For all the "plastic" club taunts directed at the giants, Melbournians seem pretty happy to watch their "plastic" club in the NRL.

In Sydney, Swans average 57k on FTA and 37k on Fox - market average of 94k in 2017
In Sydney, GWS average 40k on FTA and 23k on Fox - market average of 63k in 2017
Im Melbourne, Storm average 34k on FTA and 28k on Fox - market average 63k in 2017.

In Sydney, Swans average 57k on FTA and 37k on Fox - market average of 94k in 2017
In Sydney, GWS average 40k on FTA and 23k on Fox - market average of 63k in 2017
Im Melbourne, Storm average 34k on FTA and 28k on Fox - market average 63k in 2017.

As I said and repeat the Storm have made very little inroads in 20 years in Melbourne where at worst they are tolerated or not thought about at all by the Melbourne sporting public and dont forget they have had a very good run from the media esp News Corp/Herald Sun who owned them 100% for a long time. The TV ratings just go to prove my point.

Fox is about the only place where the comparisons are fair due to a complete lack of fta tv coverage for the Storm.

In every department except at grass roots the Storm are going great. finders comments are typical of his hatred of most other sports.

Far too much talk and comparisons with other codes ATM in this thread.
I thought we were directed by the mods to use the crowd and ratings threads of other sports if we wanted to discuss these matters relating to ther codes or sports.
Maybe its time for a clarification.

I thought we were directed by the mods to use the crowd and ratings threads of other sports if we wanted to discuss these matters relating to ther codes or sports.

We're down to the end of the season, and with only 2 matches a week. Im allowing it within reason as long as it doesnt dominate the thread when the time comes.

MCG prediction is up - 90,000. Without trying to sound obnoxious the 95K crowd against Geelong was the most one sided crowd of that size I have seen and it looks like being replicated again on Saturday.

It's pretty rare to get such large one sided crowds - these are the top 5 that I know of:

2017 QF Rich V Geel 95K
2015 EF Rich v Nth Melb 90K
2002 PF Coll v Adl 88K
1996 SF Ess v WCE 85K
1990 GF Coll v Ess 98K

I saw all of these games live except for Ess v WCE

MCG prediction is up - 90,000. Without trying to sound obnoxious the 95K crowd against Geelong was the most one sided crowd of that size I have seen and it looks like being replicated again on Saturday.

It's pretty rare to get such large one sided crowds - these are the top 5 that I know of:

2017 QF Rich V Geel 95K
2002 PF Coll v Adl 88K
1996 SF Ess v WCE 85K
1990 GF Coll v Ess 98K

One thing's for sure: it will be the most lopsided crowd ever. Whatever we think about the amount of neutrals that will attend, GWS will probably have a record low number of fans for a final. So the ratio of one team to the other will be off the charts.

As an aside: did you really think the 1990 GF was that one sided? As someone who was at all those games you listed I don't remember it that way.

2017 QF Rich V Geel 95K
2002 PF Coll v Adl 88K
1996 SF Ess v WCE 85K
1990 GF Coll v Ess 98K

Top 4 seems about right, but ur 5th coll v ess both big big clubs surely wouldn't be lopsided like the 4 before it.

On our game going to be insane, would luv nothing more for the seniors to make the big dance like the reserves did on the weekend...

Who cares? It's not like this board is getting overrun with popularity. Let people talk about what they want, as long as it stays relatively civil.

One thing's for sure: it will be the most lopsided crowd ever. Whatever we think about the amount of neutrals that will attend, GWS will probably have a record low number of fans for a final. So the ratio of one team to the other will be off the charts.

As an aside: did you really think the 1990 GF was that one sided? As someone who was at all those games you listed I don't remember it that way.

From my memory (14 at the time mind you) that crowd was very heavily weighted in Collingwood's favour. Maybe it seemed that way because they were winning but the Bombers got a couple of early goals and the noise was nowhere near that when the Pies got going. Pretty sure Kevin Sheedy made mention of how lopsided the crowd was towards Collingwood as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back