Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Non Tigers will have to forgive us banging our drum this week but this week belongs to us and I don't think any true fan will begrudge us the thrill of looking forward to the weekend. Oh my days....if the MCC members show we could have a sell out in name and in fact with upwards of 80,000 barracking for one team.

Now looking like not only the most one sided MCG finals game ever but also almost certain to be the biggest one club turn out of all time at a game in any code in Australian sporting history.

There has never been anything like this. Going into a prelim as favourites with the biggest ever support any team has ever had.......gentlemen this is a wet dream made real for the long suffering soldiers of the Tiger Army. Please please please let us win in a tight game and let's feel the grand old stadium shake.

Tiger or not if you can beg borrow or steal a ticket do so. This is history.

UPDATE - Visitor tickets and reserved seats

A very limited number of visitor tickets, as well as reserved seats on levels 1 and 4, went on sale on Monday September 18 at 12.00pm and have now sold out.

Walkup areas

The remaining 13,500 seats and standing room areas will be available on a first-in, first-served basis when Gate 2 opens on Saturday at 1.30pm.

http://www.mcc.org.au/whats-on/latest-news/2017/september/afl-preliminary-final-arrangements

heard the 9,000 tkts sold out in 4 mins

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond's popularity is a little more than a one-off. To put it in context, there have been seven 90,000+ crowds for finals (other than the GF) in the past 27 years (not including this weekend, which is now odds-on):
- Richmond v Geelong (2017): 95,028
- Richmond v North (2015): 90,186
- Richmond v Carlton (2013): 94,690
- Carlton v Essendon (2011): 90,370
- Collingwood v Geelong (2010): 95,241
- Geelong v Collingwood (2007): 98,002
- Collingwood v Essendon (1990): 91,555
I wonder if that 98002 figure for gee v coll from 2007 could be challenged on Sat.

You would have to think unlikely though.

A
I wonder if that 98002 figure for gee v coll from 2007 could be challenged on Sat.

You would have to think unlikely though.
Assuming good weather, that will mostly depend on the MCC. I remember reading an article during the week, they were turning MCC members back at the gate that night...

heard the 9,000 tkts sold out in 4 mins
I managed to get a few restricted view (behind the interchange bench) at about 10 past but even they were all gone not long after that.

Assuming good weather, that will mostly depend on the MCC. I remember reading an article during the week, they were turning MCC members back at the gate that night...
That was the last game that the reserve locked out for from memory, although the farcical scan out system they were using at the time contributed to it. People eventually got in by the second quarter, there were a few spare seats at the top of the Ponsford they put them in. Cracking game too, I reckon it's almost the best final I've been to.

Looks like another 50,000 crowd at the Adelaide Oval this Friday. Will be the 21st crowd over 50k at the stadium, we only had 5 50,000 AFL crowds at AAMI in 23 seasons, only 2 of those H/A games compared to 19 at the Adelaide Oval

Looks like another 50,000 crowd at the Adelaide Oval this Friday. Will be the 21st crowd over 50k at the stadium, we only had 5 50,000 AFL crowds at AAMI in 23 seasons, only 2 of those H/A games compared to 19 at the Adelaide Oval
Attendance records could be obliterated next year with some of the big clubs starting to get their act together and the new Perth stadium opening

Unlikely mate because Richmond don't have the same numbers in the MCC. It would take a hell of a lot of neutrals

Unlikely but not totally impossible.

I'm convinced thousands of neutrals will want to see and hear this for themselves.

If I was a neutral I would want to be there even if I never attended another Richmond game or hated them. It could be like a nostalgia strip back to the 1970s to see what Richmond up and about really means.

If its tight and if the Tigers are out in the huge numbers expected against a token West Sydney presence it has the potential to be a uniquely one sided and tension filled evening.....what footy fan, what sports fan would want to miss it?

If you can go just go. There will be other games to support you own club but there may never be a chance to see this again.

I'm convinced thousands of neutrals will want to see and hear this for themselves.

If I was a neutral I would want to be there even if I never attended another Richmond game or hated them. It could be like a nostalgia strip back to the 1970s to see what Richmond up and about really means.

If its tight and if the Tigers are out in the huge numbers expected against a token West Sydney presence it has the potential to be a uniquely one sided and tension filled evening.....what footy fan, what sports fan would want to miss it?

If you can go just go. There will be other games to support you own club but there may never be a chance to see this again.
Dont forget there are only two more matches this season at the G and not many people will get GF tickets so you would think a lot of people would like to get a live footy fix before the season ends.

I think you're getting a little over excited, not that I can blame you.

From a neutral point of view, I'm excited for prelim finals every year. The bigger the crowd the better, but if it was up to me I'd take an even crowd split any day. For me there's nothing better than the energy that's created by two opposing sets of fans displaying their passion. I want this even when Collingwood are playing.

It's what makes footy in Melbourne unique in pretty much the whole of world sport. I can't think of any other league or sport that would so regularly get large crowds from each team in attendance.

I think you're getting a little over excited, not that I can blame you.

From a neutral point of view, I'm excited for prelim finals every year. The bigger the crowd the better, but if it was up to me I'd take an even crowd split any day. For me there's nothing better than the energy that's created by two opposing sets of fans displaying their passion. I want this even when Collingwood are playing.

It's what makes footy in Melbourne unique in pretty much the whole of world sport. I can't think of any other league or sport that would so regularly get large crowds from each team in attendance.

To be honest I plead guilty to a bit of over excitement given the week we are in and it is true that if for instance we were looking forward to a Richmond V Collingwood or Carlton it would ratchet things up rather than down.

However I think the weekend represents a rare, very rare, opportunity to see the huge stadium decked out in one teams colours with the virtual guarantee of a superb athmosphere of tension with allthe pressure piled on to one side if the game is close and triumphalist one eyed footy fandom if we win easily and of course deflated grumbling if God forbid we are whacked. Everything has to fall right for this to happen, all the stars have to align. They have done this week and it is a great chance for Melbourne footy fans to see something virtually unique.

As I said if I was a neutral I would definitely go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back