Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The MCC manages the MCG and has done since the 1850's.
Their members are fully entitled to have entry to the ground

Nah, that's not even an argument

the mcc are an anachronism...and their "walk up rights" certainly are.

The government should have paid for much more of the northern stand build and substantially reduced their seat allocation to afl matches.

Nah, that's not even an argument

the mcc are an anachronism...and their "walk up rights" certainly are.

The government should have paid for much more of the northern stand build and substantially reduced their seat allocation to afl matches.
So if MCC members are not interested in going to big prelim finals that what will they go to?

The boxing day test surely isn't enough to fork out annual fees for their membership.

A great Preliminary Final weekend all around, excepting of course the small matter of a lack of close games.

Yesterday's PF was the 11th highest of all time, and the third highest in the modern safety standards era.

All time leader is Collingwood v Richmond in 1969 - 108,279
Modern day leader is Geelong v Collingwood in 2007 - 98,002

Every Prelim over 90k:
upload_2017-9-25_0-2-16.png

Overall this was the 6th highest attended set of Prelims ever. There are a couple of surprises in the list, for me anyway.

First surprise is that number 1 on the list is actually 1962, which had 2 Prelims between Carlton & Geelong courtesy of a draw the first time around. The replay drew 12k more fans than the original and is one of only 2 Prelims to outdraw the GF of the same year (Geel v Coll in 2007 is the other).

The other surprise is that this weekend isn't the highest drawing set of Prelims with only one Melbourne game. Even more surprising is that the record was set during the renovations at the MCG when Collingwood v Port and Sydney v Brisbane both drew in the 70k range.

upload_2017-9-25_0-4-8.png

Those wooden benches will be worth a fortune one day.
I’ve got 1 plank and probably 1/3 of another one from Waverley park as well stored away at my mothers place from the final game there!:drunk:i may put put both on eBay at some point in time if I eventually fall under the spell of a beautiful woman some day:cool::rolleyes::drunk:

I’ve got 1 plank and probably 1/3 of another one from Waverley park as well stored away at my mothers place from the final game there!:drunk:i may put put both on eBay at some point in time if I eventually fall under the spell of a beautiful woman some day:cool::rolleyes::drunk:

Who has the goal posts hijacked from the Essendon v St.Kilda game or did you all burn them on the night to keep each other warm ?

A great Preliminary Final weekend all around, excepting of course the small matter of a lack of close games.

Yesterday's PF was the 11th highest of all time, and the third highest in the modern safety standards era.

Every Prelim over 90k:
View attachment 420137

Overall this was the 6th highest attended set of Prelims ever. There are a couple of surprises in the list, for me anyway.

First surprise is that number 1 on the list is actually 1962, which had 2 Prelims between Carlton & Geelong courtesy of a draw the first time around. The replay drew 12k more fans than the original and is one of only 2 Prelims to outdraw the GF of the same year (Geel v Coll in 2007 is the other).

The other surprise is that this weekend isn't the highest drawing set of Prelims with only one Melbourne game. Even more surprising is that the record was set during the renovations at the MCG when Collingwood v Port and Sydney v Brisbane both drew in the 70k range.

View attachment 420138

I didn't know that Richmond had been involved in the biggest Preliminary final crowd. Nice to know.

we now have the record of being involved in the biggest Elimination final, Qualifying final, Preliminary final and preliminary final VS inter state opposition attendances.

Almost a full house but we will never have the full set because the Carlton V Collingwood 121,000 GF in 1969 cannot be bettered barring major work at the MCG and we will have to settle for second in Grand finals with the 1970 crowd v Carlton.

Do you know who hold the semi finals record?

Every Prelim over 90k:
View attachment 420137

View attachment 420138

Dont forget everyone staff, police etc in the MCG were counted in those days of the over 100,000 crowds unlike today when only the people who turn up with tickets are counted If that standard was used now all the recent GFs and some PR finals would we well over 100,000 "attendance".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I bought a family ticket for the NRL GF mid year for $220. Not even a club member. Can't compare to AFL.

In terms of access, no. But in terms of face value of the tickets, they were very similar to AFL prices.

Interesting to see that prices have already come down. There are seats available for $65 now that weren't there yesterday.

I'll post it again:

The AFL members were just as short as the MCC, so how come this thread only has people bitching about the MCC?

I call bullshit i was in the AFL reserve and no way their were empty seats there equivalent to the MCC . Even on the replay i saw top deck full, MCC on the other hand could see easily at the ground rows of empty seats plus on the replay saw it too.

Last edited:
I call bullshit i was in the AFL reserve and no way their were empty seats there equivalent to the MCC . Even on the repay i saw top deck full, MCC on the other hand could see easily at the ground rows of empty seats plus on the replay saw it too.

I'm with you on this. They want us to believe that 1500 people, or 7.5% of the section were missing on Saturday? Seems incredibly unlikely to me from where I was sitting.

In terms of access, no. But in terms of face value of the tickets, they were very similar to AFL prices.

Interesting to see that prices have already come down. There are seats available for $65 now that weren't there yesterday.
No, the cheapest seats for family of four at AFL GF is around $650. How is that similar to $180 (current price)? It's more than triple!

Last edited:
I call bullshit i was in the AFL reserve and no way their were empty seats there equivalent to the MCC . Even on the repay i saw top deck full, MCC on the other hand could see easily at the ground rows of empty seats plus on the replay saw it too.

I was behind the goals in the upper level of the Ponsford stand, the only bank of empty seats I could see was immediately to my left, about four bays across, right up the back of the top level - not sure who those seats belong to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back