Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
VFL GF only 17,126 The Tiger Army a bit hungover?
You would have thought Richmond would have at least pulled 25,000 plus.

Define "a bit"

Fwiw, sunday was a tad rusty for many of us

I was behind the goals in the upper level of the Ponsford stand, the only bank of empty seats I could see was immediately to my left, about four bays across, right up the back of the top level - not sure who those seats belong to.

Mcc

I was opp side of the ground to you, and that top set of rows at the top of the mcc was the main empty part of the ground from my view

Buggered if i saw similar with the afl section (to your right)

No, the cheapest seats for family of four at AFL GF is around $650. How is that similar to $180 (current price)? It's more than triple!

Like I said, they weren't there yesterday and they're also the cheapest by a long long way. But if you look at the prices for other categories for an adult - $394/$325/$280/$180 for Diamond/Platinum/Gold/Silver, it's comparable to the $180 - $410 for categories 7 - 1. AFL GF would on average be slightly more expensive but not by much.

Like I said, they weren't there yesterday and they're also the cheapest by a long long way. But if you look at the prices for other categories for an adult - $394/$325/$280/$180 for Diamond/Platinum/Gold/Silver, it's comparable to the $180 - $410 for categories 7 - 1. AFL GF would on average be slightly more expensive but not by much.
Mate I bought mine months ago. Heaps of options and tickets available under $100. They were the most of the tickets sold so far. Much, much cheaper than AFL. I have a spare and can't give it away.

Yeah, was surprised how low the crowd was. Think it was actually lower than last year's VFL GF.

Actually it wasnt much different to last years VFL GF 17,348

The biggest crowd in recent years was in 2014 23,816 Footscray v Box Hill you would have thought with the Tigers playing 25,000 could have been expected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The RL struggling to sellout their GF!It wouldnt matter who played in the AFL GF it would always sellout.

NRL hoping juniors and volunteers can fill ANZ Stadium for grand final

James Buckley
    • The NRL is offloading thousands of free tickets to its non-Sydney grand final in a bid to fill the 83,000-capacity ANZ Stadium for Sunday's season-ending showdown.

With out-of-towners Melbourne and North Queensland contesting the decider, ticket sales have been much softer than usual, with the league turning to Sydney juniors as the answer to fleshing out the grand final crowd.An NRL spokesperson strongly denied up to 20,000 tickets were being handed out, as some industry insiders suggested on Wednesday, claiming the figure was only a few thousand. In any event, the match is not expected to sell out.

The league is using its PlayNRL Rewards system to facilitate the junior ticket handout. An email went out to select junior clubs earlier this week, encouraging players and volunteers to redeem their free grand final ticket from 9am Wednesday morning. A different password was sent out in each email, with the password needed to redeem the free tickets.

The RL struggling to sellout their GF!It wouldnt matter who played in the AFL GF it would always sellout.

James Buckley
    • The NRL is offloading thousands of free tickets to its non-Sydney grand final in a bid to fill the 83,000-capacity ANZ Stadium for Sunday's season-ending showdown.

With out-of-towners Melbourne and North Queensland contesting the decider, ticket sales have been much softer than usual, with the league turning to Sydney juniors as the answer to fleshing out the grand final crowd.An NRL spokesperson strongly denied up to 20,000 tickets were being handed out, as some industry insiders suggested on Wednesday, claiming the figure was only a few thousand. In any event, the match is not expected to sell out.

The league is using its PlayNRL Rewards system to facilitate the junior ticket handout. An email went out to select junior clubs earlier this week, encouraging players and volunteers to redeem their free grand final ticket from 9am Wednesday morning. A different password was sent out in each email, with the password needed to redeem the free tickets.
Lucky for them they have only got 83k seats to fill on the day.

I say fill because they are not actually going to "sell" them all.

Last edited:

James Buckley

How embarrassing...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Finals or no finals, has any other team ever played in front of what will be an average of 95000 3 times in a row?

Can only think the pies may have achieved this in the 2010-11 era, but vaguely remember a trip to Sydney in there.

Yeah Collingwood managed it in 2010 on account of the grand final replay. The only other year I bothered to check was 1970, and I was right to: Carlton's last four matches were played in front of 41, 113, 108 and 122 thousand for an average of 95,931 (and of course the usual caveat of crowds being counted differently back then applies).

EDIT: I suppose, then, given the mention of the 2010 drawn grand final, it would've made sense to assume Collingwood achieved it in 1977 too (which they did at about 98 thousand over three games). In short, it has been done multiple times, usually in circumstances that aren't typical of the norm today.

Last edited:
And now this...(not paywalled)

Fox Sports and Nine tell the government and NRL they want smaller – not bigger – stadiums

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...er--not-bigger--stadiums-20170927-gyptu0.html

and they are right to do so. The reality is that they have SOO and little else that needs a truly big stadium.

They don't seem to realise that SOO is partly killing their league. many see the NRL as simply a feeder league for Origin and watch that and nothing else

http://www.adnews.com.au/news/afl-g...valuable-spot-delivers-high-engagement-levels

Australia's most valuable spot delivers some of the highest engagement levels on TV, new research has found.

The ad break straight after a goal is kicked in the AFL grand final fetches anywhere between $150,000 to $175,000 per 30-seconds, sometimes even more.

In the TV business, this makes the AFL grand final the closest live sports event we have to the Super Bowl in an advertising sense. The other major sporting event that comes close is the NRL grand final on Nine, which charges about $125,000 per 30-second spot.

Not that new a research really. They've said the same thing every year for at least the last 5.

The Australian reported that Nine Network was selling 30-second advertising slots in the 2016 NRL grand final for about $75,000 each, although the price could jump with demand expected to spike after an ideal set of results over the weekend, while inventory is running low, and could be around the $100,000 mark.

Sensis in September 2016 reported that the cost of a 30-second spot in the NRL and AFL grand finals, could cost advertisers about $130,000 and $175,500 respectively based on the new television rights deals signed between the networks.

In 2015, Mumbrella noted that the AFL on Seven and 7Mate managed to command a higher premium than its rival, with the ratecard price for a 30 second spot in the five metro markets $150,000. While NRL brands had been forking out around $129,000 for the same 30 second five city metro spot on Nine and for the first time simulcast on its HD channel Gem.

AdNews reported that advertisers would expect to pay circa $125,000 to buy a 30 second spot in all metro markets – but some sponsors will pay $150k. These often have to be accompanied by a larger season package and that’s where the networks really tend to make the money.

For the NRL Grand Final, costs are about $129k per 30 second spot and access is largely scale packages only. An NRL Finals package, including metro five cap, all games – quarters, semis, prelims and Grand Final is about $1.1m per year.

In 2014, the Australian reported that the Seven Network was expected to pull in as much as $10 million in advertising revenue from its near-fully subscribed AFL grand final broadcast.. Last-minute 30-second TV spots were estimated to be worth more than $100,000 for what is usually the most-watched television program of the year, though they are generally snapped up by longer-term sponsors at a more favourable rate.

News reported the 2013 Grand Final figures as $135,000 per 30-second spot for the AFL and $100,000 for the NRL. And both behind The Voice.

In 2012, the ABC reported that the cost of advertising in the 2012 Grand finals was

• AFL: $100,000 nationally or $50,000 in Melbourne
  • NRL: $70,000 to $80,000 nationally

Not that new a research really. They've said the same thing every year for at least the last 5.

The Australian reported that Nine Network was selling 30-second advertising slots in the 2016 NRL grand final for about $75,000 each, although the price could jump with demand expected to spike after an ideal set of results over the weekend, while inventory is running low, and could be around the $100,000 mark.

Sensis in September 2016 reported that the cost of a 30-second spot in the NRL and AFL grand finals, could cost advertisers about $130,000 and $175,500 respectively based on the new television rights deals signed between the networks.

In 2015, Mumbrella noted that the AFL on Seven and 7Mate managed to command a higher premium than its rival, with the ratecard price for a 30 second spot in the five metro markets $150,000. While NRL brands had been forking out around $129,000 for the same 30 second five city metro spot on Nine and for the first time simulcast on its HD channel Gem.

AdNews reported that advertisers would expect to pay circa $125,000 to buy a 30 second spot in all metro markets – but some sponsors will pay $150k. These often have to be accompanied by a larger season package and that’s where the networks really tend to make the money.

For the NRL Grand Final, costs are about $129k per 30 second spot and access is largely scale packages only. An NRL Finals package, including metro five cap, all games – quarters, semis, prelims and Grand Final is about $1.1m per year.

In 2014, the Australian reported that the Seven Network was expected to pull in as much as $10 million in advertising revenue from its near-fully subscribed AFL grand final broadcast.. Last-minute 30-second TV spots were estimated to be worth more than $100,000 for what is usually the most-watched television program of the year, though they are generally snapped up by longer-term sponsors at a more favourable rate.

News reported the 2013 Grand Final figures as $135,000 per 30-second spot for the AFL and $100,000 for the NRL. And both behind The Voice.

In 2012, the ABC reported that the cost of advertising in the 2012 Grand finals was

• AFL: $100,000 nationally or $50,000 in Melbourne
  • NRL: $70,000 to $80,000 nationally
Interesting since the NRL have the Sunday night primetime spot but command lower advertising fees than the Saturday arvo AFL GF.

Interesting since the NRL have the Sunday night primetime spot but command lower advertising fees than the Saturday arvo AFL GF.

I wonder if it's due to the timing of the ads? eg an ad after a goal is harder to ignore than an ad during a break in play? Or perhaps demographics?

I wonder if it's due to the timing of the ads? eg an ad after a goal is harder to ignore than an ad during a break in play? Or perhaps demographics?

It's because the audience is larger.

People compare the AFL's average over 3 hours to the NRL's over 2 hours. This is likely to undersell the AFL's audience at any given time. 3 million average for both events probably means a lot more people watched the AFL. Importantly, it means more people are watching the AFL at any given time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back