Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not ratings per se, but I went out tonight to the pub to watch the game (well...To get away from the doof doof from the party next door really, but 2 birds, one stone and all that).

Got to the first pub about 10 mins after the game started. It's a bit of a sports bar with about a dozen TV's, none of which were showing the game, so out of curiosity, I went to another pub, and then a third...zero. I went back to the first place and 2 people were sitting in a corner watching the game.

Now, of course I could have asked them to show the game, and doubtless they would have, but as I said, I was curious to see if there was any interest, and from 3 pubs, none of the staff bothered turned the game on and only 2 people were watching (presumably they arrived after I left and asked). There was more interest in the India V Sri Lanka test cricket.

I dare say IR hasn't really captured the imagination.

Not ratings per se, but I went out tonight to the pub to watch the game (well...To get away from the doof doof from the party next door really, but 2 birds, one stone and all that).

Got to the first pub about 10 mins after the game started. It's a bit of a sports bar with about a dozen TV's, none of which were showing the game, so out of curiosity, I went to another pub, and then a third...zero. I went back to the first place and 2 people were sitting in a corner watching the game.

Now, of course I could have asked them to show the game, and doubtless they would have, but as I said, I was curious to see if there was any interest, and from 3 pubs, none of the staff bothered turned the game on and only 2 people were watching (presumably they arrived after I left and asked). There was more interest in the India V Sri Lanka test cricket.

I dare say IR hasn't really captured the imagination.
Late 90's to Mid 2000's it used to be more popular. 61k at the mcg and 82k in Dublin demonstrate that. Then the afl policy of not bothering with fielding good players (the F grade team aus fielded for the 2011 series) then the disastrous Aboriginal only tour to Ireland really muffled peoples interest. The afl then reluctantly admitted they got it wrong then made it policy that only AA players were eligible.

The AA policy has made the series competitive again but fans are still a bit burnt by what the afl did to try and kill off the series. Couple that with the fact that there was hardly any promotion this year or coverage in the media in the leadup and I'm actually surprised the crowds and ratings have been as high as they have been.

Late 90's to Mid 2000's it used to be more popular. 61k at the mcg and 82k in Dublin demonstrate that. Then the afl policy of not bothering with fielding good players (the F grade team aus fielded for the 2011 series) then the disastrous Aboriginal only tour to Ireland really muffled peoples interest. The afl then reluctantly admitted they got it wrong then made it policy that only AA players were eligible.

The AA policy has made the series competitive again but fans are still a bit burnt by what the afl did to try and kill off the series. Couple that with the fact that there was hardly any promotion this year or coverage in the media in the leadup and I'm actually surprised the crowds and ratings have been as high as they have been.

I was in the 61k crowd at the MCG and it was a great night.Even with very little PR this time the both matches pulled decent crowds so you would think along with the Virgin sponsorship it would have turned a profit and another factor as well is the players love playing the game.

The concept just needs the AFL to get behind it fully and it will fire up again as the game itself is highly skillful and great to watch - much better than the pathetic 50 to nothing blowouts for the RLWC games

Last edited:

The A League is really struggling to get a decent crowd this week total so far only 25,000 to 3 games
Maybe the socceroos kill the local crowds like the SOO does fo RL?

I was having a browse of the Roar earlier in the week and there was an article talking about how critical the Socceroos winning (it hadn't happened at that stage) is to the fortunes of the local game. As if the A-League would collapse if the Socceroons didn't qualify. It did mention the financial benefits of doing so (i.e payments from FIFA to the FFA), but it also talked about how the interest in the Socceroos would trickle down.

Is there actually any basis in fact to conclude there's a correlation? As you say, if anything A-League metrics are well down this weekend, there certainly hasn't been a bump from what was a great crowd and huge TV audience during the week. And it's not something i've noticed in the past. Big showpiece events - not necessarily socceroos games - appear to if anything result in a drop in interest locally. I remember there was a game between Sydney FC and an English team (Man u?) which sold out ANZ years ago. The following weekend Sydney FC Played an A-League game and the crowd barely topped 10k. There was zero bump. It's as if these games are more competitors to the A-League than a promotional vehicle.

I was having a browse of the Roar earlier in the week and there was an article talking about how critical the Socceroos winning (it hadn't happened at that stage) is to the fortunes of the local game. As if the A-League would collapse if the Socceroons didn't qualify. It did mention the financial benefits of doing so (i.e payments from FIFA to the FFA), but it also talked about how the interest in the Socceroos would trickle down.

Is there actually any basis in fact to conclude there's a correlation? As you say, if anything A-League metrics are well down this weekend, there certainly hasn't been a bump from what was a great crowd and huge TV audience during the week. And it's not something i've noticed in the past. Big showpiece events - not necessarily socceroos games - appear to if anything result in a drop in interest locally. I remember there was a game between Sydney FC and an English team (Man u?) which sold out ANZ years ago. The following weekend Sydney FC Played an A-League game and the crowd barely topped 10k. There was zero bump. It's as if these games are more competitors to the A-League than a promotional vehicle.
Would need the Socceroos to actually not qualify and then in the coming weeks see the impact that might have on the a league. I don't think the Socceroos have actually missed out since the a league came into being. But you are right, there has seemingly not been a bump in interest in a league matches after they qualified.

I suspect soccer is susceptible to event watchers more than any other sport in this country, hence the flow on effects to the a league are not felt.

The problem with the A League is it has had a few little patches of growth (including its first couple of years) that have proved to be all hot air and novelty.

Beyond that it has stagnated and withered, as it is doing again now. It had one Wanderers up its sleeve and perhaps one Del Piero and has used them both a few years back...

I think it is pretty independent of the Socceroos, who were massive when they played in the dying days of the NSL. I went to the 2001 qualifier in front of 85K against Uruguay in 2001. It rated higher than the NRL grand final and had ratings only 15% below the AFL grand final

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_television_ratings_for_2001

Its not so much the immediate imoact of qualifying for a world cup but long term. Kids will be exposed to soccer much more with world cup media hype, even sam newman and the footy show cover it. But short term there is the $12.5million the ffa get plus increased sponsorship attention. A league crowds wont increase much on the back of qualifying. Especially in brisbane where the team is crap this year.
I cant expect people that only follow afl to understand what world cup qualification means to a sport. But its the biggest tournament in the world and being there is as big as it gets for a sporting nation

The a league will eventually expand to a 12 and then 16 team comp. Its about slow growth.
I find it funny how a lot of afl fans defend the stagnant gold coast franchise and slow gws growth but hammer the a league....a 12 year old comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its not so much the immediate imoact of qualifying for a world cup but long term. Kids will be exposed to soccer much more with world cup media hype, even sam newman and the footy show cover it. But short term there is the $12.5million the ffa get plus increased sponsorship attention. A league crowds wont increase much on the back of qualifying. Especially in brisbane where the team is crap this year.
I cant expect people that only follow afl to understand what world cup qualification means to a sport. But its the biggest tournament in the world and being there is as big as it gets for a sporting nation
But does getting there with players who mostly play second tier leagues overseas help the A league at all?

I can understand the Matilda's building the W league, but they all play in the W league.

Cannot see a national team getting smashed at a world cup help a league composed of players not good enough to be in said smashed team.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

But does getting there with players who mostly play second tier leagues overseas help the A league at all?

I can understand the Matilda's building the W league, but they all play in the W league.

Cannot see a national team getting smashed at a world cup help a league composed of players not good enough to be in said smashed team.
A large amount of the squad started in the a league or have played in the a league.
Its not about the individual players though.

A lot of the squad started or have played in the a league. But i dont see the point. Its not about individual players, the fact is we have a route for kids to grow up and aim for with the a league. That wasnt the case with the nsl so much. Every kids now has grown up seeing australia at the world cup. It makes kids dream and strive to play.
The soccer world cup is the only real world cup worth watching, take the RL world cup for example, only 4 nations are any good. Its being played here and noone gives a crap.
Its the only aspect of soccer that the afl has no chance of competing in, national representation, and thats what a lot of kids want.

A lot of the squad started or have played in the a league. But i dont see the point. Its not about individual players, the fact is we have a route for kids to grow up and aim for with the a league. That wasnt the case with the nsl so much. Every kids now has grown up seeing australia at the world cup. It makes kids dream and strive to play.
The soccer world cup is the only real world cup worth watching, take the RL world cup for example, only 4 nations are any good. Its being played here and noone gives a crap.
Its the only aspect of soccer that the afl has no chance of competing in, national representation, and thats what a lot of kids want.

The discussion is that making the WC does absolutely nothing for the local league. What evidence have you given that the local league benefits? Have you seen the crowds and ratings since Wednesday night's qualifier? They are nothing short of dire - in the best part of the year for the league!

I mean deadset, the gaelic football got better ratings in Sydney than the reigning champ SFC playing in a top of the table clash! Seriously mate, you can't sugar coat that in any way, shape or form.

I think that is what a lot of soccer fans want kids to want. In reality the talented kids will overwhelmingly be attracted to the codes that have the gravitas in their own country. This is true everywhere. It is why soccer fans in the 1970s were wrong when they convinced themselves that Australian football's lack of internationalness would be its downfall. Rather it is as dominant as ever. It is why Rugby League is still dominant in NSW despite its participation numbers being dwarfed by soccer there

The a league will eventually expand to a 12 and then 16 team comp. Its about slow growth.
I find it funny how a lot of afl fans defend the stagnant gold coast franchise and slow gws growth but hammer the a league....a 12 year old comp.

Not sure what is funny? Notwithstanding the fact that most AFL fans do not defend the the "stagnant gold coast franchise and slow gws growth" (quite the opposite in fact), you are missing the point. It is unlikely, if say the AFL were aware the world would cease to be in 2035, they would have created these two new clubs in these areas. They self consciously made a short to mid term sacrifice for the long term growth of the game. A League fans seem to think that adding new franchises is the way to save it from its stagnation.

The NSL was the first national comp of all the football codes in this country 40 years ago. A decade later, the then VFL introduced its second and third non-Victorian teams. 5 of the original A League franchises were teams that first played in the old NSL in some form or other, with only three new franchises. The reality is there are only so many people in this country prepared to dedicate their time and money to follow a 3rd rate professional soccer comp...there are far better soccer competitions on offer over seas and far better quality professional sports on offer here - sadly, this isn't changing

I think that is what a lot of soccer fans want kids to want. In reality the talented kids will overwhelmingly be attracted to the codes that have the gravitas in their own country. This is true everywhere. It is why soccer fans in the 1970s were wrong when they convinced themselves that Australian football's lack of internationalness would be its downfall. Rather it is as dominant as ever. It is why Rugby League is still dominant in NSW despite its participation numbers being dwarfed by soccer there

Not sure what is funny? Notwithstanding the fact that most AFL fans do not defend the the "stagnant gold coast franchise and slow gws growth" (quite the opposite in fact), you are missing the point. It is unlikely, if say the AFL were aware the world would cease to be in 2035, they would have created these two new clubs in these areas. They self consciously made a short to mid term sacrifice for the long term growth of the game. A League fans seem to think that adding new franchises is the way to save it from its stagnation.

The NSL was the first national comp of all the football codes in this country 40 years ago. A decade later, the then VFL introduced its second and third non-Victorian teams. 5 of the original A League franchises were teams that first played in the old NSL in some form or other, with only three new franchises. The reality is there are only so many people in this country prepared to dedicate their time and money to follow a 3rd rate professional soccer comp...there are far better soccer competitions on offer over seas and far better quality professional sports on offer here - sadly, this isn't changing
EPL ratings regularly double or more what the A league gets.

I have long thought the A leagues greatest competition is the EPL not the AFL. What is touted as a strength, the global nature of the game, is only a strength for the sport, it is actually a real problem for the A league

BigFooty has a big soccer forum on it, but most of it is about European football, not the A league.

VFL13 "I cant expect people that only follow afl to understand what world cup qualification means to a sport. But its the biggest tournament in the world and being there is as big as it gets for a sporting nation"

I think you are being disingenuous with that statement. I follow many sports apart from Australian Football and I suggest most AFL fans do as well!.
There are plenty of other sports played in Australia that have an international profile like Cricket,Golf and Tennis that the Aussie public take interest in .
The truth is Australian soccer is way down the list of countries playing soccer and that its long way from being the #1 football code in the Nation.The other big problem the A League has is that soccer fans can watch the best players in the best leagues round the world live every week on TV
The RU Wallabies had massive support when they were winning WCs even though RU is basically only played in two states but that has dissipated as they drop in ratings.
I dont think even the most fanatical soccer fan thinks this current team will go very far in the WC.Lets face it they just scraped in by beating a lot of minnow countries.

Probably because soccer doesn't have the disadvantages of long standing regional malaise for their sport in this country like the afl does.

So what are the measurable outcomes though? A 30% increase in feelgoodery?

Don't get me wrong, it's certainly not a bad thing for the sport in this country that the Socceroos qualify. But I don't think it's the difference between a vibrant sport at all levels to a wasteland. I don't think it would affect the A-League much either. If anything it would take more media attention away from it, which seems to be borne out in crowds and TV viewers (which have been especially ordinary this weekend).

Taking shots at Aussie Rules fans not knowing about football yet you say that fans defend the Giants and Suns. Lol no.

Both the Suns and Giants are developing in areas foreign to the game so of course they will take time and was always a slow burn. A-League has been around for much longer in its own heartland as well.
Footballs heartland is in Sydney supposedly yet look at the numbers. I wish it was much better but they arent. FFA are almost SA levels of bad and selfserving.
The Big Bash is killing it when it comes on and even with the clean air its been poor.

Expansion and probably a 2nd division is needed to get both the "bitters" and "eurosnobs" onside and interested.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

VFL13 "I cant expect people that only follow afl to understand what world cup qualification means to a sport. But its the biggest tournament in the world and being there is as big as it gets for a sporting nation"

I think you are being disingenuous with that statement. I follow many sports apart from Australian Football and I suggest most AFL fans do as well!.
There are plenty of other sports played in Australia that have an international profile like Cricket,Golf and Tennis that the Aussie public take interest in .
The truth is Australian soccer is way down the list of countries playing soccer and that its long way from being the #1 football code in the Nation.The other big problem the A League has is that soccer fans can watch the best players in the best leagues round the world live every week on TV
The RU Wallabies had massive support when they were winning WCs even though RU is basically only played in two states but that has dissipated as they drop in ratings.
I dont think even the most fanatical soccer fan thinks this current team will go very far in the WC.Lets face it they just scraped in by beating a lot of minnow countries.
exactly my point in reference to people that only care for afl. Obviously you and many other follow other sports, but the people that only glance at other sports and only really care for afl wont understand.
Ofcourseaustralia will struggle to win games at the world cup, but its a much better tournament when around 20 teams could win it unlike every other world cup where you are lucky to have 6 genuine contenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back