Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's weird that the capacity is listed at around 48k but the crowds are always very consistent around the mid to late 30k mark
I assume it's just some SCG members are never going to show up for AFL. A lot of the seating is member exclusive I believe.

I assume it's just some SCG members are never going to show up for AFL. A lot of the seating is member exclusive I believe.
Similar to the MCC members and the MCG
I'd imagine as well the majority of the SCG members would be strong NRL fans and not want a thing to do with the AFL

32k for a Dogs/Lions game, bloody hell. Proof bandwagoners are alive and well.

Don't be a knocker mate. Give them their days in the sun. Was it pumped by bandwagoners? Of course but any flag winning side will see a huge jump in attendance.

What would your Essendon draw against Brisbane if the Bombers held the flag? Probably double what the pups did if the seating was available and not all of them would be glued on regulars either.

A spike in turnout is one of the rewards of winning the flag.

Saints v Cats need to get 40-45k today. Cats 4-0 and Saints with last 2 wins, anything under 40k would be pretty crap.
Hawks need to get at least 30k today
Tigers need to get 75-80k and Anzac day 85-90k
400k a slight chance

Similar to the MCC members and the MCG
I'd imagine as well the majority of the SCG members would be strong NRL fans and not want a thing to do with the AFL

The members was pretty full so its not their fault A good crowd given the Swans not having won a match

The NRL would give their right arm for ANY of their clubs to pull 30,000 on a consistent basis like the Swans.

The members was pretty full so its not their fault A good crowd given the Swans not having won a match

The NRL would give their right arm for ANY of their clubs to pull 30,000 on a consistent basis like the Swans.
How was the weather for he nite? Believe there was an NRL game played at similar time just south of the CBD in Cronulla? It would have been raining in the south if that was he case;)

Saints v Cats need to get 40-45k today. Cats 4-0 and Saints with last 2 wins, anything under 40k would be pretty crap.

Well, they actually got sub-34k today. As I keep saying, Vic footy fans just don't like Docklands and its a big problem for the AFL.

Cats crowds there this season have been dire; a symbolic protest at wanting more MCG/KP games?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

33,884 at docklands looked more than that still a very poor effort for these two teams esp Geelong
You would think anything less than 40,000 was a fail.
Looks like a half decent crowd at the MCG.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Little ol' Port plays some no hoper team and gets 43k.

The greatest team of the past decade plays a top four contender and gets 29k in the country's largest stadium.

To be fair, Little ol' Port weren't playing on Sunday twilight after being thumped 4 weeks in a row.

To be fair, Little ol' Port weren't playing on Sunday twilight after being thumped 4 weeks in a row.

Although little ol' port has received some frightful thrashings over the last two seasons, and they were only 2-2 before the Friday night game.

You wouldn't argue that Port fans would have a greater reason to go to the footy than Hawthorn fans (or would you?)

Also, it's school holidays at the moment.

Hawks fans have had a decade of incredible success; if they're going to drop off after a poor month woe to the club if they're down the bottom for a few years.

Little ol' Port plays some no hoper team and gets 43k.

The greatest team of the past decade plays a top four contender and gets 29k in the country's largest stadium.

I reckon their are a fair amount of band wagoners who follow Hawthorn where as Port Adelaide have many tens thousands of rusted on supporters from over one hundred years of success and 39 premierships.

Hawthorn were never one of the big 5 Melbourne clubs and Geelong and suffered from years of poor performances as did WB and North who all joined the VFL from the VFA in 1925 and all took a long time to become successful and win flags.
All three clubs have never had the support base of Collingwood,Richmond,Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne and Geelong

Hawks fans have had a decade of incredible success; if they're going to drop off after a poor month woe to the club if they're down the bottom for a few years.

But they haven't really dropped off. We can't judge long term mean or average Hawthorn expectations on the events of recent years. They were exceptional and unrepeatable.

As recently as round 14 2008 a top 4 Hawthorn hosted WCE at the G and drew 29,000. 2 years previously with the Hawks struggling the game drew 21,000.

I have no idea where the MCG got their 37,000 prediction which was always pie in the sky as every regular contributor to this thread knew. The attendance is perhaps slightly off what the club realistically hoped for but what is happening - and will continue to happen unless the win is followed by a surge up the ladder - is that attendances are regressing to the mean for Hawthorn and that was always going to happen.

Reading above that Geelong fans don't like Etihad.

Maybe Hawthorn fans don't like the MCG?

Maybe all those Hawthorn fans in Melton don't like making the trip to the MCG?

Perhaps if Hawthorn slide they won't be one of the 3 heavy lifters that contribute to the equalisation slush fund that keeps the Giants afloat :drunk:

We can only live and hope

I reckon their are a fair amount of band wagoners who follow Hawthorn where as Port Adelaide have many tens thousands of rusted on supporters from over one hundred years of success and 39 premierships.

Hawthorn were never one of the big 5 Melbourne clubs and Geelong and suffered from years of poor performances as did WB and North who all joined the VFL from the VFA in 1925 and all took a long time to become successful and win flags.
All three clubs have never had the support base of Collingwood,Richmond,Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne and Geelong

And yet Geelong cant draw 30k to a non Hawthorn based fixture in Victoria (think North, Melbourne and now the Saints) despite a 5-0 start

Geelong, lol...

We tend to jump to conclusions very quickly about crowd figures. Hawthorn will attract a bit of sniping just as conversely the Pups will be told they are band-wagoning.

Context is everything. The Hawks turnout this weekend is actually UP on their long term trend figure for home games V WCE in Melbourne at Waverley/MCG. In 1992 the Hawks moved home games away from cramped Princes Pk. and have since played 11 Melbourne games V the Weagles at Waverley ( 6 games at average 20,703) and the G ( 5 at 33,423) for a total of 11 at 26,485.

That period has seen highs and lows and has averaged out at mid to high 20s is unsurprisingly what happened this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back