Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought mcc's 73k estimate for tonights game was way too high, but with arvo storms apparently coming i will be stunned if it happens now

Same Haw v WCE game in 2012 and 2016 (admittedly with the wagon in full throttle) drew 50,023 and 42,977

If 28,977 on a Sunday twilight, 0-4 after b2b 86 point thrashings is our lowest point then the Hawks are in pretty good nick.

The last time the Hawks hosted a non Vic club at the MCG in the Sunday Twilight slot they drew 17,906 against the fabled Giants (Rd 11, 2014 Bolts first game as coach and admittedly it pissed down) in in the same season as 72,796 (Rd 18, 2014) against the Swans (admittedly inflated by Buddy's return). In fact compared to rd 11 2014, yesterday wasn't too bad at all.

I hope we drop off so that we don't have to contribute to the same AFL equalisation slush fund that goes into sustaining the Giants existence. Ditto the Dees, the Power, Suns, Lions etc. Perhaps after a few seasons we can recoup that $3-4m distributed in recent seasons. As a middle club in footballs largest market we have done our far share of heavy lifting in the national competition.

What have the Dees done...well apart from voting to merge with Hawthorn and getting the AFL to parachute a chairman, CEO and coach?

Perhaps it's time for the Power and the Giants to start contributing to equalisation. Is that too much to ask???

Melton or no Melton

I dont think you need a handout as you have all that lovely pokies money from the poorer suburbs to live on.

Room on the Tiger Train for one and all mate.

If we keep going as we are Gigantor and Matt will be belting out "we're from Tigerland" before long with the rest of the biggest bandwagon ever seen in Australia.

Toot Toot !!!!

No, just no

I thought mcc's 73k estimate for tonights game was way too high, but with arvo storms apparently coming i will be stunned if it happens now

Its hard to say what will happen but the weather will play a major part tonight 65,000 will be a good crowd.

Tomorrow could be the same size crowd or slightly more if its pissing down all day as predicted.

Its hard to say what will happen but the weather will play a major part tonight 65,000 will be a good crowd.

Tomorrow could be the same size crowd or slightly more if its pissing down all day as predicted.

Tonight ill be rapt if its 60k+

Tomorrow i think will still be good on it being a dons home game - lots of members hurting after 2016 will sit in the pissing rain to watch their boys win on yhe big stage once more

29k at a ground with 100k capacity for a club which won 4 out of 8 premierships (a club which reckons they are part of the big 4 no less) a reasonable crowd?

You're having a laugh.

Always love people from other states bringing up ground capacity. Just because Melbourne had the foresight to build a ground that could cope with our highest demand (e.g. tomorrow, finals etc) it somehow counts against us when we don't have peak demand every week. If you're getting 29k to a 30k stadium that's one thing, but unless you're getting over 90% capacity then I'm going to look at 29k the same way no matter whether the capacity of the stadium was 40k or 100k.

Tonight ill be rapt if its 60k+

Tomorrow i think will still be good on it being a dons home game - lots of members hurting after 2016 will sit in the pissing rain to watch their boys win on yhe big stage once more

I think 60000 would be slightly disappointing considering the last 2 years pulled that in a pretty average form slump.

Got to be closer to 70 than 60 for my liking.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Always love people from other states bringing up ground capacity. Just because Melbourne had the foresight to build a ground that could cope with our highest demand (e.g. tomorrow, finals etc) it somehow counts against us when we don't have peak demand every week. If you're getting 29k to a 30k stadium that's one thing, but unless you're getting over 90% capacity then I'm going to look at 29k the same way no matter whether the capacity of the stadium was 40k or 100k.

Especially so if the commentator bagging fan loyalty happens to be from that world capital of sporting loyalty......Sydney NSW.

I think 60000 would be slightly disappointing considering the last 2 years pulled that in a pretty average form slump.
Got to be close to 70 than 60 for my liking.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No chance

We havent historically gotten close to 70k, even when we were making finals, AND the weather aint gunna be good.

Dont underestimate the appeal of watching live at home on the couch with $2 beers. Esp with gen y/millenials, apparently there is a growing preference to watch at home while on social media with your phone/tablet at the same time. These two teams have never attracted huge numbers together, so i dont expect it to change tonight

No chance

We havent historically gotten close to 70k, even when we were making finals, AND the weather aint gunna be good.

Dont underestimate the appeal of watching live at home on the couch with $2 beers. Esp with gen y/millenials, apparently there is a growing preference to watch at home while on social media with your phone/tablet at the same time. These two teams have never attracted huge numbers together, so i dont expect it to change tonight

Correct.

Do you know the last time Essendon V Dees drew 70K? 1964 !!! and that crawled past the 70K mark. Since then Essendon haven't come close. Sheedy's Bombers never came close.

We drew a big 70K plus in 1998.....since them never close.

Carlton V Dees has never drawn 60K never mind 70!!!!!

Stats V pies meaningless cos of QB.

where is the realism in the G predicting 73K? It is not going to happen. 65K is a huge huge turnout HUGE for a H and A V Melbourne and we will be stoked if we get near it.

You are also right in suggesting that social media is destroying our civilisation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct.

Do you know the last time Essendon V Dees drew 70K? 1964 !!! and that crawled past the 70K mark. Since then Essendon haven't come close. Sheedy's Bombers never came close.

where is the realism in the G predicting 73K? It is not going to happen. 65K is a huge huge turnout HUGE for a H and A V Melbourne and we will be stoked if we get near it.

You are also right in suggesting that social media is destroying our civilisation.

I blame the Chief , its a cunning plan involving Bigfooty, a division of the Rand Corporation, in conjunction with the saucer people under the supervision of the reverse vampires who are forcing us to stay home from the footy in a plot to eliminate mid strength beer

*for the record, im on the fence if it means getting rid of mid strength beer

Slice and dice it whichever way you want.

For a supposedly big Melbourne club, which was actually trying to equal an 86 year record for four consecutive premierships only last season, I repeat, that's last season, to get 29k to a game of footy is pathetic, especially when little ol' Port is getting 43k coming up against a no hoper club who already has the wooden spoon in the bag.

In fact, any other Melbourne club coming off trying to equal the record of four consecutive premierships would be able to manage more than 29k to a game of footy only five rounds into the following season.

The weather will certainly drag the crowd down tonight but Richmond v Melbourne at the MCG has the potential for 80K with favourable form and weather. Dees can bring 30-40K with their large MCC membership and Tigers even more. Add in neutrals and there's your 80K plus change. AFL members will be hard to fill for these 2 teams though. The Tiger army is starting to stir and could be out in huge numbers tonight hoping to enjoy a rare winning streak. I'm gonna back the yellow&black to take the crowd up to 70K tonight.

Slice and dice it whichever way you want.

For a supposedly big Melbourne club, which was actually trying to equal an 86 year record for four consecutive premierships only last season, I repeat, that's last season, to get 29k to a game of footy is pathetic, especially when little ol' Port is getting 43k coming up against a no hoper club who already has the wooden spoon in the bag.

In fact, any other Melbourne club coming off trying to equal the record of four consecutive premierships would be able to manage more than 29k to a game of footy only five rounds into the following season.

Maybe. Still we got 17,902 in 2014 (in the middle of the three peat) the last time we hosted a non Vic club at the MCG in the Sunday Twilight slot.

In fact with our other MCG home games being in far more advantageous time slots (62,360 v Cats on EM and 37,420 v Crows on Saturday afternoon) I was expecting a much, much worse attendance (although the swathes of empty seats in the reserve area is a concern)

Perhaps there is an anti bandwagon movement afoot?

Correct.

Gotta go back to the mid 1960's to find a precedent. That being said the Dees had some cracking roll ups in their glory days...

I presume it was based around the Tigers getting their standard 40k (42,577 v Eagles), a chockers MCC and the neutrals heading down after work. That being said the Dees drew 36,249 (Sat afternoon v Saints) and 29,733 (Sat afternoon v Cats) at Docklands and 46,727 (Sunday afternoon v Blues) and 27,829 (Saturday afternoon v Dockers) at the 'G so its not like they have been reeling in the numbers to justify a 70k plus roll up anyway

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back