Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seriously smelling a 90,000 tomorrow night.
It's highly unlikely. Sounds like Q24-28 in the AFL members are open to GA. Then I don't believe all seats in bats Q29-36 have been sold. I stand to be corrected. Aldo bay's 37-40 in the MCC are unlikely to be highly utilised. I still think when it's all said and done, low 80's feels about right.

The MCG said Essendon V Hawthorn would be 85,000 yet with plenty of vacancies in the MCC and some available seating at the top of the AFL, it was 78,248.

It would be an enormous crowd if it actually goes above 85,000. Here's hoping!

It's highly unlikely. Sounds like Q24-28 in the AFL members are open to GA. Then I don't believe all seats in bats Q29-36 have been sold. I stand to be corrected. Aldo bay's 37-40 in the MCC are unlikely to be highly utilised. I still think when it's all said and done, low 80's feels about right.

The MCG said Essendon V Hawthorn would be 85,000 yet with plenty of vacancies in the MCC and some available seating at the top of the AFL, it was 78,248.

The difference is Richmond have way more MCC/AFL members than Hawthorn. It's not even close. That's what makes it a crowd of 85k+ over 78k.

The difference is Richmond have way more MCC/AFL members than Hawthorn. It's not even close. That's what makes it a crowd of 85k+ over 78k.
I don't have evidence, but subjectively I think there'd be a very similar amount of Hawthorn and Richmond MCC members.

Based from usual visual numbers it would be Melbourne clearly, then Essendon and Collingwood, a gap to Carlton, then Richmond and Hawthorn. I am not sure about Geelong, sometimes their MCC numbers are surprising so I imagine they'd be next. Lastly it would be North, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs in no particular order.

I don't have any evidence to prove or disprove my assumptions, however.

Surprised by last night's crowd - felt to be very similar to last weeks. Where as in last week's crowd there were empty seats in the Ablett terrace, last night these seats were filled and there were a smattering in the Players' stand. Certainly felt like you couldn't fit an extra 9k in!

The difference is Richmond have way more MCC/AFL members than Hawthorn. It's not even close.

i doubt it.

• 2008 MCC Survey - Hawthorn supporters made up 8% of MCC members, Richmond 7%
  • 2010 MCC Survey - Hawthorn 7.6%, Richmond 7.4%
MCCsurveysupport.png

The only GA is the back 10 rows (U-DD) of Q24-28, so About 1000 seats left. At the start of the day there was apparently only 8000 public seats left.
The lack of GA usually scares people away, but I think your estimate might be a bit low.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Problem with the Essendon vs Hawthorn game was that many Hawthorn supporters didn't show up. The MCC prediction might have factored in the fact that it was a replacement game for Hawthorn members. On the night, Hawks supporters were completely dwarfed by the home team.

In this game, the away support will definitely show up in huge numbers. It all depends on Richmond fans really. If they show up in huge numbers like they did vs Melbourne, then this can top 90K. But I highly doubt that there will be that much Richmond fans considering the results in the last 3 weeks, so about 80-85K is about right for me.

Problem with the Essendon vs Hawthorn game was that many Hawthorn supporters didn't show up. The MCC prediction might have factored in the fact that it was a replacement game for Hawthorn members. On the night, Hawks supporters were completely dwarfed by the home team.

In this game, the away support will definitely show up in huge numbers. It all depends on Richmond fans really. If they show up in huge numbers like they did vs Melbourne, then this can top 90K. But I highly doubt that there will be that much Richmond fans considering the results in the last 3 weeks, so about 80-85K is about right for me.

Tigers members will turn up, the bombers faithful will show up and we already know due to GA being exhausted the casual supporter is also going to turn up.
The final figure will count on MCC and AFL reserve turn up.
Will have nothing to do with disgruntled tigers members not showing up.
Last home game was Mother's Day which turned a lot away so means a lot may not of been since Anzac eve.

Anyway, no matter if there is 80000 or 90000 there a great crowd, sure to be a great atmosphere and a fantastic game that these 2 clubs can be very proud of creating.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tigers members will turn up, the bombers faithful will show up and we already know due to GA being exhausted the casual supporter is also going to turn up.
Last home game was Mother's Day which turned a lot away so means a lot may not of been since Anzac eve.

Anyway, no matter if there is 80000 or 90000 there a great crowd, sure to be a great atmosphere and a fantastic game that these 2 clubs can be very proud of creating.
Totally agree your last point... There's still around 6,000 reserved seats left. I'm sure 2013/4 we're sell outs. This isn't.

you do realize disgruntled rfc members leave empty seats behind? be it reserved seat holders, or members bays, their access cannot be transferred to other members or GA.

Very good crowd, made a lot of noise and looked good on tv. Much better than the 85% empty ANZ stadium just up the road.

Yep 36,221 is a wonderful crowd in enemy territory against only 14,000 at the soulless cavernous ANZ for RL in its heartland
Imagine the what the Swans crowds would be if they got their fair share of media coverage in Sydney
The RL coverage in Sydney esp in the DT reminds one of the phrase "flogging a dead horse" the more they pump up RL the less crowds they are getting.

Just a pity the Swans couldnt seal the deal In any case both teams are pretty ordinary atm and neither will make the 8

Fri STV #AFL #FoxFooty #AFLSwansHawks National 325k: Metro 270k (Syd 43k Mel 134k Bri 23k Ade 32k Per 38k)
Fri TV #AFL #AFLSwansHawks Seven 442k (Mel 325k Ade 117k) 7mate 174k (Syd 48k Bri 33k Per 93k)

Great ratings for another seriously good game. Funny that I thought last nights game might be a one-sided affair. Yet this season just keeps on delivering

Fri STV #AFL #FoxFooty #AFLSwansHawks National 325k: Metro 270k (Syd 43k Mel 134k Bri 23k Ade 32k Per 38k)
Fri TV #AFL #AFLSwansHawks Seven 442k (Mel 325k Ade 117k) 7mate 174k (Syd 48k Bri 33k Per 93k)

Great ratings for another seriously good game. Funny that I thought last nights game might be a one-sided affair. Yet this season just keeps on delivering

126k across Sydney and Brisbane, fantastic

Using the garlic muncher total audience metric (tm), Sydney total audience was 127k (48k on 7 mate, 43k fox and 36k at the ground) The rugby league game between two of the biggest Sydney clubs got just 313k (240k on 9 main, 59k, 14k).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back