Not open for further replies.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Amazing wa had never beaten Victoria in Victoria since 1904

It's tv rarings will be far better than its crowd attendance....it's a second tier rep match ffs!

Its not a REAL Victorian VFL or SOO team as the teams were in the past and shouldnt been seen as such and is also not one that is a true representation of the quality of the current VFL/AFL reserves comp
No Player on an AFL list is allowed to play for the current misnamed VFL Its about the same standard as the VAFA when they play WA
Just a waste of time and money for no advantage to Victorian football.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
85,656 is a long way from full and no where near the predicted 90,000+ The days of getting 90,000+ to a H&A match approaching winter are well gone esp with live against the gate!

Sadly the soccer match Argentina v Brazil in July will most likely top 90,000 and be the biggest football crowd during the season

Last edited:

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
85,656 is a long way from full and no where near the predicted 90,000+ The days of getting 90,000+ to a H&A match approaching winter are well gone esp with live against the gate!

Sadly the soccer match Argentina v Brazil in July will most likely top 90,000 and be the biggest football crowd during the season

It's a great crowd though. Hard to better that when you have so many layers of membership unless you have big 4 clubs genuinely contending

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Its not a REAL Victorian VFL or SOO team as the teams were in the past and shouldnt been seen as such and is also not one that is a true representation of the quality of the current VFL/AFL reserves comp
No Player on an AFL list is allowed to play for the current misnamed VFL Its about the same standard as the VAFA when they play WA
Just a waste of time and money for no advantage to Victorian football.

I posted it because it reflects where the 2nd tier fits in our game in 2017.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
It's a great crowd though. Hard to better that when you have so many layers of membership unless you have big 4 clubs genuinely contending
Its was a great crowd but can we stop the media pundits B Sh++++++ it was going to be over 90,000 which it was never going to be?They just look stupid.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I posted it because it reflects where the 2nd tier fits in our game in 2017.

It's not the second tier. It's the rep game for the second tier

It had a lower attendance than second tier club matches (and any decent level suburban or country for that matter, but will probably exceed tv audience

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's not the second tier. It's the rep game for the second tier

It had a lower attendance than second tier club matches (and any decent level suburban or country for that matter, but will probably exceed tv audience

Its also why some local club games in Sydney, Canberra, Darwin and Brisbane get better crowds than NEAFL games, the game is based around club rivalries.

Who exactly besides family, friends and talent scouts are interested in the WAFL V VFL, footy fans will probably watch it on TV, but i bet the passion would not exceed a club game.

I personally would be more interested in West Perth V Glenelg or Port Melbourne for EX

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Its also why some local club games in Sydney, Canberra, Darwin and Brisbane get better crowds than NEAFL games, the game is based around club rivalries.

Who exactly besides family, friends and talent scouts are interested in the WAFL V VFL, footy fans will probably watch it on TV, but i bet the passion would not exceed a club game.

I personally would be more interested in West Perth V Glenelg or Port Melbourne for EX

So the VFL v WA game attendance is the 2nd tier minus friends & rel'o's ... no talent scouts, no talent on view given Liam Ryans injury.

gaelictiogar

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2006
east melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Even factoring in the appeal of the Dreamtime concept, pretty amazing that this is going to be such a high crowd considering these two sides look like being mid-table also-rans yet again this season.

On a broader level this has been happening for a fair few years; both these sides are the current leaders in most years without winning a final (yes, even longer than Melbourne) and neither has finished top 4 since 2001 yet during the time the support has been highly resilient.

Personally I don't think the Dreamtime concept impacts turnout anything like as much as people suppose except in that it guarantees the timeslot. The vast majority of fans me included are totally uninterested in political virtue signalling via weekend footy.

Both Richmond and Essendon were 5 and 4. Both only a win out of the top 4 so neither world beating but both contending realistically for the finals. Weather decent. The Tiger Army up and about despite recent failures and Essendon's vast support stirring as well.

In those circumstances 75K guaranteed, 80K by no means unexpected and mid 80s a bonus. Does anyone know anyone else who actually turns up because of the Dreamtime hoopla? People attend the game.

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Personally I don't think the Dreamtime concept impacts turnout anything like as much as people suppose except in that it guarantees the timeslot. The vast majority of fans me included are totally uninterested in political virtue signalling via weekend footy.

Both Richmond and Essendon were 5 and 4. Both only a win out of the top 4 so neither world beating but both contending realistically for the finals. Weather decent. The Tiger Army up and about despite recent failures and Essendon's vast support stirring as well.

In those circumstances 75K guaranteed, 80K by no means unexpected and mid 80s a bonus. Does anyone know anyone else who actually turns up because of the Dreamtime hoopla? People attend the game.

Well i think it does drag extra people in, i think the dreamtime game and concept is a added extra on top of what promised to be a decent game, probably moreso for MCG and AFL members.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

Agree with your summary. Potentially 4-5,000 neutrals went that otherwise wouldn't have. Given no competition from other MCG games this weekend, it was always going to get a few extra. Still, the way the match developed with a 5-4 record for both teams, it was likely this game would draw around 80,000 purely based on the nature of a pretty big game between two of Melbourne's biggest clubs.

If it was actually the biggest home and away game on a Saturday night then that stamps this crowd as a great crowd. With so many season seat holders it was never going to draw over 90,000. To be fair, the AFL and MCC members held their end of the bargain.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond

The big patches of seats missing were on level 2, small patches in the MCC and Richmond reserves who can't make it and can't resell their seats.

The Soccer is different. Everyone who buys a seat to that wants to go, there's no MCC, no AFL members to drag it down.

There's only been 3 or 4 non Anzac Day 90k games since 2000 as well, extremely hard to accomplish.

Rouel_14

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2014
Bendigo, Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Reckon the real winner tonight may be the North Melbourne Football Club who will now probably get 25000 tigers rock up rather than 15000.

What a game, great atmosphere! All those bombers that were meant to be out in force were pretty quiet really.

Nights like these that you come home, hop into bed and feel privileged that I was born a tiger and we get to play in front of Big crowds at the G more often than some.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back