Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was so much flawed in there I didn't know where to begin.

But obviously a traditional rival matchup featuring a Top 4 chasing Richmond and a suddenly buoyant Carlton is always going to easily outdraw a mired in mediocrity Collingwood and a Hawthorn side having their worst season in more than a decade.

The MCG has predicted:

55k for Melbourne v Sydney
36k for Carlton v Adelaide
48k for Hawthorn v Collingwood
Those predictions feel about right. If Blues V Crows was at Ethihad I reckon it would draw about 28-32,000. Pies V Hawks feels like a dead rubber. If Dees V Swans draw 55K it will reinforce the belief that neutral support is a material factor in big blockbuster fixtures at the G. I think to deliver 55K we would need around 10,000 neutrals to attend. Feels achievable to me given strong build up.

Much if not most comment on attendances both single match and attendance trend comment is based on false perceptions. These perceptions lead to overly inflated of overly depressed predictions.

The reason why the Saints are struggling is that expectation is low. Expectation ( perhaps the best measure is the bookmakers odds for the flag ) is the single biggest driver of attendance either up or down. Bigger than time slot, weather even ladder position.

Expectation was quite high at the start of the season, which should have gotten more people on board than what it did (see the very disappointing Round 1 crowd), and despite unhappiness with how we've been playing we're still a decent chance to make finals. We shouldn't be turning in crowds like yesterday's.

You seem to have completely misread my post.

I was agreeing that the ranking system another poster came up with was ridiculously flawed.

However, in any case, a competitive Richmond-Carlton match should always outdraw a fairly irrelevant Hawthorn-Collingwood one, don't you think?
I think anything over 40-45k would be a good crowd for Hawthorn and Collingwood. It's really not far from being a nothing game.

There was so much flawed in there I didn't know where to begin.

But obviously a traditional rival matchup featuring a Top 4 chasing Richmond and a suddenly buoyant Carlton is always going to easily outdraw a mired in mediocrity Collingwood and a Hawthorn side having their worst season in more than a decade.

The MCG has predicted:

55k for Melbourne v Sydney
36k for Carlton v Adelaide
48k for Hawthorn v Collingwood

Melbourne v Sydney outdrawing Hawthorn v Collingwood.....wouldn't have tipped that at the start of the year. Any year really.

Is this the first time you have seen NSW rural AFL ratings ?.

I wonder where this guy gets them from ?

Oztam - they get a much fuller report than the public depending on the level of their subscription. Most reporting agencies - like Mediaweek - cant be bothered, they post so much other stuff too, its just not worth their time.

Oztam - they get a much fuller report than the public depending on the level of their subscription. Most reporting agencies - like Mediaweek - cant be bothered, they post so much other stuff too, its just not worth their time.

fair enough, i will keep an eye on mr Tv, that is a interesting rating.

fair enough, i will keep an eye on mr Tv, that is a interesting rating.

Dont expect too many of them to be published, that level of data isnt always available for every game - especially the lower ones.

I use the following ratings sources to ensure i get as much information as I can -and to verify new sources
  • MediaweekAUS Twitter
  • DeciderTV twitter
  • Mediaspy ratings forum
  • MrTVAus twitter
  • Kevin Perry twitter (editor decidertv)
  • TV Tonight (included FTA consolidated ratings)
  • ASTRA (STV only)
  • RegionalTAM (regional only)
  • Mumbrella
  • Nielson updates

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anything over 50,000 will be a good crowd Everything would have to go right to get 55,000 + inc the MFC /MCC members turning up in big numbers

I think anything over 50k would be an extraordinary effort, with anything over 40k good. There will have to be a big general admission turn up, as based on the seating chart there are 22 bays of walk up general admission seating on the bottom level alone.

Just got a feeling tonight's crowd will fall short of 50,000. It seems a bit rich to think Melbourne, being one of the smaller Melbourne clubs, get over 50,000 against an interstate side, no matter how good their form is. Having Jones, Hogan, Watts, Garlett and Salem out of the team, accompanied by the predicted weather of 6 degrees when the match starts, I reckon a few Dees fans won't show up. But still hoping for a big turnout at the 'G!

Last edited:
Just got a feeling tonight's crowd will fall short of 50,000. It seems a bit rich to think Melbourne, being one of the smaller Melbourne clubs, get over 50,000 against an interstate side, no matter how good their form is. Having Jones, Garlett, Watts, Garlett and Salem out of the team, accompanied by the predicted weather of 6 degrees when the match starts, I reckon a few Dees fans won't show up. But still hoping for a big turnout at the 'G!

Yep as usual the weather will play a big part in the size of the crowd I now think it will struggle to get past 45,000
Much easier to sit at home nice and warm and watch it on TV.

Yep as usual the weather will play a big part in the size of the crowd I now think it will struggle to get past 45,000
Much easier to sit at home nice and warm and watch it on TV.

The weather's actually decent, if a bit cold. Certainly not so bad as to keep 10,000 away.

I think 55,000 is a stretch, but it will still hopefully crack 50,000 tonight.

TBH, Melbourne have always been bigger than the other smaller Victorian clubs.

It doesn't really surprise me at all that they're starting to pull big crowds now that they are finally looking to participate in their first final series since 2006. That's 11 years!

They've been able to pull bigger crowds than the others more often when they are going well.

St Kilda are also in this boat too, although I think Melbourne have more pulling power. Probably because of their high level of MCC membership

It's the MCC membership. Probably one of the softest supporter bases in the AFL. Their attendances are embarrassing when they bottom out. Several crowds under 20K and as low as 13K in the last 5 years.

MFC supporter base isn't as small as people make it out to be. Yeah we still are one of the smaller clubs, but the crowd numbers aren't that bad when they're playing decently.
Last Year, in Melbourne, MFC actually averaged more against interstate opposition than Collingwood did, and they're arguably the biggest club in Vic.
Also MFC home crowd numbers are lowered significantly by the NT games.

They've been able to pull bigger crowds than the others more often when they are going well.

St Kilda are also in this boat too, although I think Melbourne have more pulling power. Probably because of their high level of MCC membership
Melbourne's biggest advantage crowds wise throughout its history has been that it has always played at the MCG, as opposed to smaller suburban grounds and now Docklands. Take the MCG factor away and Melbourne's crowds could have been a fair bit worse.

MFC supporter base isn't as small as people make it out to be. Yeah we still are one of the smaller clubs, but the crowd numbers aren't that bad when they're playing decently.
Last Year, in Melbourne, MFC actually averaged more against interstate opposition than Collingwood did, and they're arguably the biggest club in Vic.
Also MFC home crowd numbers are lowered significantly by the NT games.
The have the highest supporter base in the MCC significantly larger than the next highest Essendon and Collingwood....
If there is a decent crowd at to tonight's game the car park will be chockers with Range Rovers and Bentleys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back