Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Best case scenario we do a deal with Collingwood, Richmond, swap pick and player, Balic?
Not to worried about finding quality mids/forwards later in the drafts, our history suggests we will find a
ripper.
But a quality tall will set us up for a decade, and then can concentrate on academy, other holes in the list..

Our recruiting department is a fair bit better now, and apart from logue, its been a fair while between top 10 drinks!

Are they really a fair bit better, is 2016 what you are basing that on. Truth is I don't know if the 2016 recruitment team is completly different or the same as the years prior!

And it's not just our picks...

Pick 5 - Best (>5) - [Freos pick >5]
Will Setterfield - Sean Darcy (38) - [Logue]
Darcy Parish - Eric Hipwood (14) - [Tucker]
Jordan DeGoey - Jake Lever (14) - [Weller]
Kade Kolojashnij - Zac Merrett (26) - [Apeness]
Jake Stringer - Olli Wines (7) - [Simpson]
Matt Buntine - Toby Green (11) - [Sheridan]

My point is, pick 5 doesnt guarantee anything but the fact there is still more picks after it. Getting one 10 year best 22 player and a first round pick, well that's not too bad!

Ryan wouldn't get a game under Ross (or anyone else for long) due to fitness, discipline and commitment. Not a chance imo.
I would've argued the same point about Walters a few years ago. Ross has taken on high risk players in the past. Walters, Bennell, Yarran, Simpson. So I can definitely see us drafting Ryan.

I would've argued the same point about Walters a few years ago. Ross has taken on high risk players in the past. Walters, Bennell, Yarran, Simpson. So I can definitely see us drafting Ryan.

He never took on Walters

All the othees were flops bar Bennell who still hasn't played for us yet. I hope we pass in Ryan he's not fit enough

He never took on Walters

All the othees were flops bar Bennell who still hasn't played for us yet. I hope we pass in Ryan he's not fit enough
And he took on Walters and molded him
I disagree totally.
There is a talent there waiting to be unleashed. He's a goal kicking forward who has improved his fitness since last year.
Would love us to take the punt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freo is currently in need of a quality KPF (195cm+) and contested ball winners. There is plenty of statistical data to support this.

Quality goal kicking KPF's (195cm+) are extremely hard to find. If you use pick 5 to try to draft one, then you probably won't see much benefit of that pick until 2020 onwards. Freo currently has Taberner, Cox, Apeness who will all be better than any pick 5 KPF in 2018, 2019 & probably 2020 (on average, KPFs are about 21/22yrs old before they kick 30+ goals in a season and 23/24yrs before they kick 50+ goals).

So, if Freo are really dinkum about building a squad capable of contending for a premiership in the next 1-4 years, then they will need to develop existing KPF stocks or trade one in. With a top 10 pick, you have a much better chance of drafting a champion contested ball winner who can be very productive for the team in their 2nd season (eg. Oliver, Petracca, P.Cripps, Bontempelli).
NB: I think losing Balic in 2018 is a major set back to Freo's contested ball winning midfield stocks. I believe he will become a quality inside midfielder ... unfortunately at another AFL club.

Freo should be proud of their 2016 drafting and use that as their model for 2017.
Even though they drafted well with Logue, Darcy and Cox, I feel the snaring of Hamling, Kersten, B.Hill, McCarthy and mature age draft Ryan, was the great success story for 2016. Freo still has very poor depth in their squad and there are quite a few players that need to be delisted and replaced at the end of 2017 (eg. aged players D.Pearce, Dawson, Suban, Ibbo, Spurr, Ballas ... plus concerns for one or both Z.Clarke, Griffin ... and Taberner). Even with another great year of recruiting, Freo will likely still have quite a few fringe players left on their list, some or all of Sutcliffe, Sheridan, Collins, Crozier, Grey, Tucker, Langdon, Hughes, Nyhuis, Deluca, etc... Freo desperately needs some of those players to improve enough to become reliable starting 22 type players in 2018.

So in summary, I'd like to see pick 5 traded wisely for 2 picks (especially given we traded our 2nd round pick last year) or use that pick to trade in multiple players (<26yrs old) capable of being in Freo's 2018 starting 22.

I disagree totally.
There is a talent there waiting to be unleashed. He's a goal kicking forward who has improved his fitness since last year.

Apparently has been into WC headquarters and interviewed by the Eagles .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Willie Rioli is as fat as a pig and still got drafted.

Well still score 4 goal yesterday . Freo don't even had a small forward playing for peel.

Why? Yes we need a tall marking forward, but people are blind if they don't see how bad our midfield depth is.

This board has a serious KPF fetish, and it's blinding them to how ******* dire our midfield depth is. It's not the ******* 80's. The game is won and lost on the deck but we've got WAFL flogs starting for us in the centre square. The kids looking to replace them will be sub quality fringe players at beat for us.

I'd say we need multiple smalls, more than we need a 200cm forward.
Agree our midfield depth is lacking, but at least we have several good midfielders. We definitely need more but I think we need 1 genuine no1 KPF more than we need top 5 midfield depth.

Having said that, I am totally fine if we draft a mid with our first this year. I also hope the remainder of our picks are mids and small forwards.

We have landed one "super A grade player" in 23 years with our 1st round picks, regardless, I didn't say straight swap pick for player. Now yes the downgrade for Mitch may still be overs but the chances of getting Jeremy increase that little bit more and that's enough for me!

Here's to hoping Adelaide go out in straight sets!
If we want Mitch we are better off cheering for Adelaide. More likely to chase the cash if he already has the medal IMO.

If pick five gets used at all brining Mitch McGovern to the club then I hope our recruiting team has seen glimpses of him as a Fyfe clone midfielder that will win hard ball at the stoppage and bust out of packs when he isn't taking high marks around the ground.
Not sure there is any reason to think Mgov is turning into Fyfe. Could use him in the forward line though.

Look at it from a list management perspective. We need a dozen quality smalls, and 1 KPF.

Our KPF need is immediate. This isn't a surprise, we've known this for 5 years. Drafting a kid for 3-4 years from now isn't going to fix that problem for you guessed it, another 3-4 years.

I'd hazard a guess that most of you would burn your memberships between now and that point, so needless to say, it's not really an option.

Fix our small brigade and I think you'll find we're not as reliant on a messiah KPF to play Superman week in week out.

Freo is currently in need of a quality KPF (195cm+) and contested ball winners. There is plenty of statistical data to support this.

Quality goal kicking KPF's (195cm+) are extremely hard to find. If you use pick 5 to try to draft one, then you probably won't see much benefit of that pick until 2020 onwards. Freo currently has Taberner, Cox, Apeness who will all be better than any pick 5 KPF in 2018, 2019 & probably 2020 (on average, KPFs are about 21/22yrs old before they kick 30+ goals in a season and 23/24yrs before they kick 50+ goals).

So, if Freo are really dinkum about building a squad capable of contending for a premiership in the next 1-4 years, then they will need to develop existing KPF stocks or trade one in. With a top 10 pick, you have a much better chance of drafting a champion contested ball winner who can be very productive for the team in their 2nd season (eg. Oliver, Petracca, P.Cripps, Bontempelli).
NB: I think losing Balic in 2018 is a major set back to Freo's contested ball winning midfield stocks. I believe he will become a quality inside midfielder ... unfortunately at another AFL club.

Freo should be proud of their 2016 drafting and use that as their model for 2017.
Even though they drafted well with Logue, Darcy and Cox, I feel the snaring of Hamling, Kersten, B.Hill, McCarthy and mature age draft Ryan, was the great success story for 2016. Freo still has very poor depth in their squad and there are quite a few players that need to be delisted and replaced at the end of 2017 (eg. aged players D.Pearce, Dawson, Suban, Ibbo, Spurr, Ballas ... plus concerns for one or both Z.Clarke, Griffin ... and Taberner). Even with another great year of recruiting, Freo will likely still have quite a few fringe players left on their list, some or all of Sutcliffe, Sheridan, Collins, Crozier, Grey, Tucker, Langdon, Hughes, Nyhuis, Deluca, etc... Freo desperately needs some of those players to improve enough to become reliable starting 22 type players in 2018.

So in summary, I'd like to see pick 5 traded wisely for 2 picks (especially given we traded our 2nd round pick last year) or use that pick to trade in multiple players (<26yrs old) capable of being in Freo's 2018 starting 22.
Not sure I understand this. So we clearly have a need for a KPF, but since he won't rip it up next year we won't draft one at all? How does that fix the problem? We have clearly demonstrated our lack of ability as a club to bring in quality KPFs from other clubs so the only way we get one is through the draft.

I 100% agree you don't reach for a KPF top 10 if he ain't worth but we will have to figure something out at some stage.

Also not sure why we need our first rounder this year having an impact next year? Sure it would be nice but we are not winning the flag next year. I'll be blown away (in a good way) if we get near the finals. We have plenty of average players still to move on which is totally normal for a rebuilding side early. Carlton and Brisbane are still stacked with spuds. It takes time to turn over your list.

Use pick 5 on best available and draft mids and a small forward or two with the other picks.

Yeah. Has also suffered multiple injuries in his fat legs.

Ryan kicks 4 just about each week

That is the reason they want to use Liam Ryan to complement w. Rioli. Don't need high draft pick to get them , low risk high reward .

I am sure somebody is going to take a chance on Ryan this year. You can't continuously kick 4 per WAFL game as an unfit slob without an AFL team having a crack at making you train hard. Could be as good as Eddy if he put his head down.

I hope it is us. Totally happy to try it and be wrong too.

Willie Rioli is as fat as a pig and still got drafted.

Wow he can ******* play though. Footballers over Athletes I say!!!

I am sure somebody is going to take a chance on Ryan this year. You can't continuously kick 4 per WAFL game as an unfit slob without an AFL team having a crack at making you train hard. Could be as good as Eddy if he put his head down.

I hope it is us. Totally happy to try it and be wrong too.

We don't have a second rounder (yeah?) so what are the chances of us taking him with our third rounder because I don't think he will be there for our fourth!

We don't have a second rounder (yeah?) so what are the chances of us taking him with our third rounder because I don't think he will be there for our fourth!
I don't think he goes in the second rounder unless he improves his fitness a LOT before the combine. He is 3rd round onwards I would say. I wouldn't use our 2nd (if we had it) on him anyway. Especially since it is going to end up as no 22.

Not sure I understand this. So we clearly have a need for a KPF, but since he won't rip it up next year we won't draft one at all? How does that fix the problem? We have clearly demonstrated our lack of ability as a club to bring in quality KPFs from other clubs so the only way we get one is through the draft.

My point being, that your chances of getting a quality KPF via the draft, capable of producing 50 goals a season within 4 years of being drafted is extremely low. Jeremy Cameron and Buddy Franklin are the only two current KPF who were kicking 50+ goals a season by the age of 21 ... Freo are not likely to draft a player of their quality with pick 5 in 2017. So it depends on your clubs goals. If your club feels the need for a KPF in the long term is more important than a premiership within the next 4 years, then fine, draft a KPF with pick 5.

I'm just saying, I think the club (and Lyon) are still aiming for a premiership by the end of 2020. Drafting a KPF with pick 5 in 2017 most likely won't help that goal.

Last edited:
I don't think he goes in the second rounder unless he improves his fitness a LOT before the combine. He is 3rd round onwards I would say. I wouldn't use our 2nd (if we had it) on him anyway. Especially since it is going to end up as no 22.

I only asked about pick two based purely on having another 'safe' pick to use before going after him. Personally I would be very happy with taking him with the 3rd rounder but I don't think we will!

My point being, that your chances of getting a quality KPF via the draft, capable of producing 50 goals a season within 4 years of being drafted is extremely low. Jeremy Cameron and Buddy Franklin are the only two current KPF who were kicking 50+ goals a season by the age of 21 ... Freo are not likely to draft a player of thier quality with pick 5 in 2017. So it depends on your clubs goals. If you club feels the need for a KPF in the long term is more important than a premiership within the next 4 years, then fine, draft a KPF with pick 5.

I'm just saying, I think the club (and Lyon) are still aiming for a premiership by the end of 2020. Drafting a KPF with pick 5 in 2017 most likely won't help that goal.
Well either way, your plan revolves around us not having a quality KPF. Collingwood is giving that a go at the moment with a superior midfield.

Whilst I totally agree that any KPF we draft is not going to kick 50 goals, it doesn't mean he is worthless to us in 2020. If he can contribute along with Cam, Kersten, Sonny, Bennell, Croz, insert new forwards here as a group that is fine. Then post 2020 we actually still have a forward structure to sustain a challenge or build around again.

This has been a problem for almost 20 years. When we next get the chance to address it, we simply must.

I must add that I am strongly of the opinion that our rebuild has still got at least 2 years (2018, 2019) before we are a potential serious challenger so I am happy to be patient with the list build to get it right. I am not interested in us trying to race up the ladder and getting close. I want us to win. I don't want significant compromises in our list just to get up the ladder earlier for some North style "challenging". Therefore I am happy to see us carry a rookie forward for 3-5 years until he is ready to really hit his straps.

I only asked about pick two based purely on having another 'safe' pick to use before going after him. Personally I would be very happy with taking him with the 3rd rounder but I don't think we will!
Yeah me either. He is the sort we MIGHT take with a late rookie pick.

I think he is more likely to go to a "contender" who needs a bit but doesn't have the picks this year. Geelong, Eagles etc. Don't think clubs like Sydney or Hawthorn would be interested.

I disagree totally.

Well a 10 beep test obviously didn't have the clubs wanting to draft him. He has the talent but he'll want to have the capacity to run out games

Back