Resource 2017 AFL Draft Order

Remove this Banner Ad

Where do you get 4 early fourth round picks from? They've got a first, a third, two fourths, a fifth, a sixth and a seventh, etc. Early in each round due to their ladder finishing position.
It happened last year. We practically got the from the suns. Ok well 1st off, lets look at freos Harley Bennell trade(s)

in 2015 Freo traded picks 16 and 35 for Bennell and pick 22. we also wanted pick 35 back wanted pick 55 off them, we traded our 2016 2nd rounder which turned out to be pick 21 because of our fall and pick 55. I don't care what the suns got. I knew freo used pick 22 on darcy tucker, pick 35 on Balic and pick 61 on Sam Collins.

Last year, Freo did a few trades. GC suns Traded us picks, 35, 71 and their 2017 4th rounder which turned out to be Pick 55. Freo traded pick 73 and our 2017 2nd rounder which was pick 22 or 24.

All I knew was freo traded away pick 3 to GWS for picks 8, 35, 73 and Cam McCarthy. Confusing I know.

It happened last year. We practically got the from the suns. Ok well 1st off, lets look at freos Harley Bennell trade(s)

in 2015 Freo traded picks 16 and 35 for Bennell and pick 22. we also wanted pick 35 back wanted pick 55 off them, we traded our 2016 2nd rounder which turned out to be pick 21 because of our fall and pick 55. I don't care what the suns got. I knew freo used pick 22 on darcy tucker, pick 35 on Balic and pick 61 on Sam Collins.

Last year, Freo did a few trades. GC suns Traded us picks, 35, 71 and their 2017 4th rounder which turned out to be Pick 55. Freo traded pick 73 and our 2017 2nd rounder which was pick 22 or 24.

All I knew was freo traded away pick 3 to GWS for picks 8, 35, 73 and Cam McCarthy. Confusing I know.
Oh okay, so you're saying that's all the picks Freo have used in their rebuild. I thought you meant that was the picks they have in the 2017 draft :drunk:

Oh okay, so you're saying that's all the picks Freo have used in their rebuild. I thought you meant that was the picks they have in the 2017 draft :drunk:
Yeah I know its confusing but in short, Freo have picks our 2017 2nd rounder and pick 71, knowing the suns would likely get a top 25 pick. Suns were generous and gave up picks 35, 71 and their 2017 4th rounder.

Considering Suns have a top 5 pick and 3 2nd rounders. I think that 2017 4th round pick will be used if they still had it.

Man that's confusing to read. Your original post reads as if you mean you have 4 fourth round picks in this years draft, as Lore said.

Obviously you don't mean that, but you need to clearly explain what you do mean, as the last couple of posts really do not make sense or explain the trades clearly.

Well that's another week done. Boringly enough, Sydney and West Coast didn't do any future pick trades last year, so the only clubs affected by them finishing their finals campaigns this weekend are themselves and those still in the hunt.

Picks still live:
Adelaide: All
Geelong: All except pick 20 (from Carlton)
Gold Coast: One second round pick tied to Richmond's finishing position
GWS: All except picks 23 (from Collingwood) and 25 (from St Kilda)
Hawthorn: One third round pick tied to GWS's finishing position
Richmond: All picks are live. One first round pick is tied to Geelong's finishing position and one third round pick is tied to GWS's finishing position.

I'm sort of impressed with Geelong's pick 20. So far it's about a 200 point downgrade on the first rounder that they traded out (equivalent value to a fourth round pick). What did they spend that on? Might've been cheaper than anticipated.

Finals Week 2 (Semi-Finals):
Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 9.31.34 am.png

I'm sort of impressed with Geelong's pick 20. So far it's about a 200 point downgrade on the first rounder that they traded out (equivalent value to a fourth round pick). What did they spend that on? Might've been cheaper than anticipated.

Finals Week 2 (Semi-Finals):
View attachment 416960

Pick 16 and Billie Smedts for pick 20 and Zach Tuohy. So really a 4 pick downgrade for Tuohy :thumbsu:

Pick 16 and Billie Smedts for pick 20 and Zach Tuohy. So really a 4 pick downgrade for Tuohy :thumbsu:

Good deal for Geelong as it should have been.

Good deal for Carlton also, as that late first was required to gain Marchbank & Pickett and got back GWS's future 2nd. (2 * 3rd rounders went out)
That second went to Hawthorn for three later picks which netted us, Macreadie, Williamson & Kerr + a handshake deal, which may not come to fruition.

Maybe not so good for GWS as it netted them Deledio, but even there.....a Premiership and good deal all round.

Geelong, GWS and Hawthorn's picks are now settled. The ones that can still change won't move much regardless, and the only team still affected aside from Adelaide and Richmond themselves is the Gold Coast, who have Richmond's second rounder.

Screen Shot 2017-09-23 at 7.52.55 pm.png

Last edited:
Think it time Gold coast take players like GWS did.

Campbell ,Crameri,and Honeychurch for pic 19?? works

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People make fun of Hawthorns bad draft position but the Power are even worse.
I guess there's a couple of factors, like Port played finals, and when they traded last year they were perceived to get good value for trading out their first round pick. Whether hindsight really backs that up is another matter, given Port lost the one final they played in, and Hawthorn being last to enter the draft with the pick tied to GWS's finishing position is in reality only about three spots after Port anyway.

I guess the other thing is that Port is more likely to get reasonable value for players on their list, whereas Hawthorn are going into this off-season having already traded out anyone who was expendable, and a lot of their good players now are either still young and haven't proven their value yet, or else they're past it and not worth much to anyone else anyway. There are a couple left that might be wanted elsewhere though, and they're nothing if not creative. If they were willing to trade their beating heart last year then you wouldn't bet against them now.

What did Port do last year to cause their horrific draft position this year?
They went all in on 2016 draft. Started the 2016 trade period missing their 2nd round pick (Dixon trade in 2015) and ended up with Picks 16, 18, 32, 33 after bidding.

They went all in on 2016 draft. Started the 2016 trade period missing their 2nd round pick (Dixon trade in 2015) and ended up with Picks 16, 18, 32, 33 after bidding.
And walked away with 4 great selections.

No regrets here at all. SPP included in that.

And walked away with 4 great selections.

No regrets here at all. SPP included in that.
Wasn't a criticism. I think the Suns lost out on the Hanley 3-way trade personally. But only time can be the ultimate judge on draft selections. SPP looks very nice so far.

Wasn't a criticism. I think the Suns lost out on the Hanley 3-way trade personally. But only time can be the ultimate judge on draft selections. SPP looks very nice so far.
Not taken as one.

I believe Port had to miss the 8 this year for that pick swap to backfire points wise, but regardless we picked up the 3rd best kid (well by rising star) for a lowly pick.

Marshall, Atley and Drew all look very likely.

SPP Marshall, Atley and Drew last year
very happy with the way that trade ended up, and i was one that freaked out about trading out this years 1st!! lol
so no port dont employ me to run this years trade week!

I thought it would be interesting to see how the draft positions change between now and the end of the trade period, so I've tinkered with the spreadsheet a little so clubs are now automatically sorted by draft position (i.e. most points) rather than alphabetically. Ladder positions are also listed on the left. Not sure if it's better to have the points on the right or the left... is it hard to read when it's so far from the club names?

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 8.23.01 pm.png

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back