Autopsy 2017 AFL Grand Final - Adelaide v Richmond, Saturday Sept 30, MCG 2.30pm.

Who do you think will win the 2017 AFL Grand Final?

• Adelaide

Votes: 48 63.2%
  • Richmond

Votes: 28 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Who other than Dangerfield at Geelong really shows that hunger required,the man is driven but not many sharing his dream in my opinion.

Can't remember who said it, but it was brought up that not every AFL player is in it for a flag, obviously if one comes their way it's a bonus, but there's a lot who are content playing and earning good coin.

Also the standard of the comp has dropped, AFL wanted equalisation and they got it. Compare yesterday's teams to that of the 05-06 Sydney/West Coast games, the 2009 Geelong/Saints, 2010 Pies/Saints.

We won't be seeing a team with guns on every line going on to create a dynasty anytime soon, Hawthorn hit the jack-pot in 13/14/15.

Bulldogs 2016 and Tigers 2017 would've been absolutely destroyed by Premiership teams 6-7+ years ago.

Wow! Thomas had a fair old crack.

eZqaBD6.jpg
It's true . Tigers average players know their roles and work so hard. It makes Geelong's more talented players look bad. Cats obviously dont work as hard. Poor effort cats!

Also the standard of the comp has dropped, AFL wanted equalisation and they got it. Compare yesterday's teams to that of the 05-06 Sydney/West Coast games, the 2009 Geelong/Saints, 2010 Pies/Saints.

We won't be seeing a team with guns on every line going on to create a dynasty anytime soon, Hawthorn hit the jack-pot in 13/14/15.

Bulldogs 2016 and Tigers 2017 would've been absolutely destroyed by Premiership teams 6-7+ years ago.
If Leon Cameron can get his players to play as a unit then I think we may see a champion team in 2018/19

Reading the crows venting thread brings a smile to my face

Beautiful Karma
Yep The Texan cannoning Harry into Lonners or was it the other way round.
Sloane riding Blits like a beaten favorite and having to be destroyed with a broken leg.
Sloane on Dangerfield.
Yep happy to see them suffering in their jocks.

Reading the crows venting thread brings a smile to my face

Beautiful Karma
There was some Crows flog in the autospy thread last week giving us s**t about the loss. I remembered his name and kindly pm'ed him yesterday congratulating them on their "win". He was not pleased and i was satisfied.

If Leon Cameron can get his players to play as a unit then I think we may see a champion team in 2018/19
I agree. Something needs to gel in GWS, which hasn't yet, that unites them with a single focus/purpose. If they can find the formula the Tigers did this year (which every club is trying to do) they could win a few flags in the the next five years. They still have the most talented list in the AFL.

There was some Crows flog in the autospy thread last week giving us s**t about the loss. I remembered his name and kindly pm'ed him yesterday congratulating them on their "win". He was not pleased and i was satisfied.
Just like the Adel players they can dish it out but can’t take it back when it’s their turn

Hope the pain lingers for them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would add Scooter, Bews and Stewart but not much else
I really enjoyed the way gregson and Mccarthy were playing. We missed one of them this season

I totally agree with your overall point, but I thought that the Sydney/West Coast sides weren't anything special by flag standards. Neither had a great forward line, in particular, and Sydney were small in defence as well. I mean, the Q-Stick and Adam Hunter weren't exactly Brown and Lynch or Roughead and Franklin.

The Saints-Pies-Cats-Hawks foursome across 2009-13 were exceptional IMO - all would have won multiple flags but for timing.

Crows fans blaming Dangerfield for losing the GF.

I bet they are also the same flogs who reckon they were a better team without him. As was the common line rolled out the year after he left. Having a bet each way it seems.

Couple of observations:

1. I was shot down last year when I said the Bulldogs would find it very hard to back it up. Terms like "dynasty" were thrown around as though it was inevitable. The fact is flags are extremely hard to win, as we should know as well as anyone. The Bulldogs and Tigers have in common a mediocre talent list that is extremely well drilled in a style of play that is working well in this era. It won't last and the talent isn't there to adapt to the next dominant game style. Shoot me down at will.

I completely agree. Dogs couldn't sustain the hunger and attack on the ball. Freo couldn't maintain their manic pressure. Neither could the 2010 pies. Teams might be able to do it for one or 2 seasons before the desire wanes and it drops away. I would be surprised if the tuggers made a gf next year.

Not to mention they become content after winning a gf and lose a little bit of hunger. It's enevitable.

Could also be a reason we cant bring it, cause being successful over such a long period has drained our desire and hunger. And some players are probably content with what we have achieved over the past decade.

In 2007 the players were so hungry for success it drove them to the flag.

Hearing this everyday obsession on big footy about forward pressure forward pressure forward pressure on we need more forward pressure pressure.

(...)

I don't even see this as the main reason Richmond won the flag. (...)

The player with the ball coming out of the back half was given no hit up options and this created the pressure and turn overs. Not the other way around.
There's a term for that... I think it's generally called forward pressure.

You're right in that forward pressure has been a huge thing since, really, the Clarkson era started with Rioli typifying the full-team-cluster ethos. However, it's a far bigger issue that it's ever been, because the modern player's skills are simply so good and uncontested, fast football through half-back will result in goals far more often than it did fifteen or so years ago.

There is more than one way to skin the proverbial cat - and the side that manages to come up with the attacking move that beats the full-ground press will do extremely well - but the ability to close down space in the forward half before the opponent reaches the openness of the wing is a vital asset.

It's also, though, that the skills we value the most are the ones that we see - the ball-in-hand skills. Players like Lambert, Cotchin and Grigg who can seriously tackle and cover ground are worth more than we think.

Couple of observations:

1. I was shot down last year when I said the Bulldogs would find it very hard to back it up. Terms like "dynasty" were thrown around as though it was inevitable. The fact is flags are extremely hard to win, as we should know as well as anyone. The Bulldogs and Tigers have in common a mediocre talent list that is extremely well drilled in a style of play that is working well in this era. It won't last and the talent isn't there to adapt to the next dominant game style. Shoot me down at will.
The Dogs in 2016 reminded me of Hawthorn 2008 - they are a very good young team who jagged one a few years before their time with the aid of a key canny veteran or two (Bateman, Crawf, Boyd, Picken), and a technical/tactical advantage that caught opponents on the hop.

Their core is still exceedingly young, and when Boyd and English have a few more years on them I can see them winning more flags in three or four years.

Back