2017 AFL international cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Found out the other day that Mal Michael wanted to play in the international cup for PNG in 2002 but the AFL said no. Can you imagine if they said yes walking up to Leigh Matthews saying 'Hey Leigh I know we're chasing back to back flags but I'm just taking a couple of weeks off to play for PNG'

Found out the other day that Mal Michael wanted to play in the international cup for PNG in 2002 but the AFL said no. Can you imagine if they said yes walking up to Leigh Matthews saying 'Hey Leigh I know we're chasing back to back flags but I'm just taking a couple of weeks off to play for PNG'

I can understand a top grader not being able to play during the AFL season, but in the past, clubs have not allowed others down the food chain to play, say those on international scholarships, cat B rookies, etc. Those regularly playing reserve grade should be allowed to play.

The other thing are those who have recently retired from footy or been delisted, it would be nice to see some of those turn out. Would have been nice to see Mike Pyke play for Canada after his retirement, for example, or some of the Irish boys playing for Ireland.

I noted yesterday that Padraig Lucey was a bit of a stand out for Ireland yesterday.

Was thinking about Mike Pyke the other day and if he wanted to play for Canada if he would be allowed to by the organisers. I think he is still living in Sydney.

His twitter account suggests he still is https://twitter.com/mikepyke38?lang=en

That's a fantastic result by the Swans.

Canada finishing 7th in the men's Div 1 is also a good result for them, might be close to their best finish ever.

China has done well to finish 3rd in Div 2, but the stand out is Croatia winning the Div 2 final by 11 goals, having played footy for some 10 years. I watched a bit of this game and their forwards were taking huge marks in wet conditions. As I said elsewhere, of all the places on continental Europe south of Denmark - this is the place where the AFL should make some sort of investment. They are already very close in standard to places like GB and Denmark, and with some investment, might even have Ireland in their sights.

Also nice to see Sri Lanka winning their first ever game, if I'm not mistaken, overturning a result from the opening round, which is a fantastic effort.

Croatia cruises to D2 men's crown
Tom Pountney August 18, 2017 3:53 PM

542135-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Croatia had much to celebrate at Royal Park on Friday

Skills, spirit and stoicism reached fever pitch at Royal Park in Melbourne on Friday afternoon as Croatia walked away with victory in its first AFL International Cup.

Croatian captain Tomislav Cvetko held the men's division two trophy aloft after the Knights convincingly beat a gallant German team by 66 points in the Grand Final.

Cvetko controlled the game from midfield, kicked three goals and was best on ground. With a huge mark and goal halfway through a tight second quarter, he stamped his authority on the game and went on to score another two, including a 45-metre beauty into the wind.

The 32-year-old also looked to target Ivan Ivoš, who kicked three goals in the first half and a fourth in the final quarter.

"My dream was not that I scored four goals, but that the team would become champions today," said the Zagreb Cvjetno Dockers forward.

"It has been a long journey since the defeat against China [in round one]. From that moment, we have grown together on and off the field.

"I was thinking this would be my last tournament, but I might have to come back in three years when we will compete in division one."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-18/croatia-cruises-to-d2-mens-crown

What a fugging joke that the two Melbourne tabloids have apparently covered zero of the ic cup
It is appalling -the Div.1 games are genuinely entertaining,fiercely fought, attractive football. I think if they were played in times not concurrent with AFL games, & televised on Fox/secondary channel 7, they would attract OK ratings -this visibility would raise the profile of the IC.

Would the IC benefit from clean media air, by being played outside Round 1-22 of the AFL season?
Start on the bye weekend, running into Sept? Or start the IC in mid March? Or start in Oct?(This would, however, deny players the opportunity to see AFL games/train with community Clubs)

Last edited:
Anyone watch the GF? I was watching Port play but the last quarter must have been a scrap. Well done to the PNG Mosquitoes. I bloody hope the AFL go there and do some devlopment work. There would be a few small balls of muscles like David Rodan who can play the game and might be good enough to play AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cracking finals From what I saw. Surely some of the players in the women's are candidates for the aflw....and also the 15 year old png men's player

Anyone watch the GF? I was watching Port play but the last quarter must have been a scrap. Well done to the PNG Mosquitoes. I bloody hope the AFL go there and do some devlopment work. There would be a few small balls of muscles like David Rodan who can play the game and might be good enough to play AFL.

I think people have been looking, at least three of the PNG lads had been listed with AFL clubs in the past. I know Gideon Simon (who must have gone close to BOG today; had a lot of the footy, won most of it inside & consistent disposal) was with Richmond for a couple of years and was praised for his tackling pressure, but otherwise was nowhere near getting a call up to the seniors. As for "Ace", the actual BOG, he has youth, a nice kick and game sense on his side. He's not the Rodan or Simon type build though, looks more like a shorter version of Jack Martin or Fyfe when they were youngsters.

It's not on TV for the same reasons Mitcham vs Doncaster East isn't on TV.
That's not a great argument. It's about understanding what the games represent in the right context, some people enjoy seeing the different styles on display and representation of footy being something greater than these four walls. By this logic, the AFLW wouldn't be on TV either because it's objectively of a lower quality than the AFL but people watch it not for the quality but what the matches represent.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back