Review 2017 AFL National Draft - Friday 24th November

Dow, LDU & Rayner are taken. Who do you select at pick 4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I get playing safe with a very early pick but all players come with a degree of risk.

What we need in terms of playing list is some magic and Jayden has that complemented by a solid set of attributes in terms of height, eventual build, athleticism and personality.

He's the Creme Brulee to the 'jello' in terms of a few other kids in it.
When you're starving you dont pay top dollar for Creme Brulee though. We need someone who will be a quality 10 year midfielder. If the club think that is Stephenson then great. If they see him as a half forward/wing x-factor type then i am disappoint.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-13/going-places-the-country-kid-thats-a-selfdescribed-lion

Going Places: The country kid who's a self-described 'lion'
Callum Twomey November 13, 2017 7:00 AM
obrienmedal101117.jpg

Lochie O'Brien had a promising athletics career. Picture: Supplied

Wednesday, January 18, 2017
LOCHIE O'Brien spent so much time at South Mildura Football Club as a kid that he even had a regular sleeping spot for when he was tired and needed a recharge. In 2005 and 2006, his dad, Jason, coached the club’s under-18 side and O'Brien was the team's mascot. He was with the team when it ran through the banner for the Grand Final those seasons, and even tagged along on the footy trips after they won the flag.

He used to attend training on Tuesday nights, and again on Thursdays after school when his mum Deb would help cook the team dinner. At club functions, O'Brien would always be buzzing about, the little kid comfortable chatting with people older than him but always finding a friend to have a kick with on the oval outside.

"It all started at South Mildura, with my family. Everything I'm doing now goes back to those times," O'Brien says.

When the 17-year-old O’Brien mentions now, he is talking about his stay in Florida in the United States, part of the 36-player NAB AFL Academy squad on a pre-season training camp. Thirteen AFL clubs have sent recruiters on the trip to watch and assess the prospects, considered some of the most talented players in the country ahead of this year's NAB AFL Draft.

O'Brien, a classy midfielder, sits right at the top of the bunch. "He's got that running power and a really skilful left foot. He looks to be one of the guys I'd have in the top five at this stage," one scout predicts.

O'Brien with recruiter Dom Ambrogio in the US. Picture: Supplied
obrienambrogio101117.jpg

Those traits haven't, however, always been part of O'Brien’s make-up. Although he looms as one of the best kicks of this year’s potential draftees, as a kid he would slam the ball onto his left foot really hard, without finesse. "It would go anywhere," O’Brien recalls.

O’Brien took part in Auskick for three years – he remembers having a KFC 'tower burger' every week with his dad on the way from school to footy practice – but at eight, he was still too young to start playing competitive games so he tried soccer. He didn't mind it, and he found the round-ball game helped him use both feet and learn to weave through traffic. But he lasted just one year before going back to footy.

O'Brien grew up following Collingwood, and once featured on a Grand Final poster hung at Melbourne’s Federation Square with Scott Pendlebury's No.10 painted on his face in black and white. His grandfather, Denis O'Brien, played one game for the Magpies in 1971.

An early developer, O'Brien played in the midfield and occasionally had a run in the ruck as one of the taller boys. He caught the eye and attended state trials as an under-12. But he missed the first cut, before eventually making the under-15 Victorian side three years later. By then, his promising athletics career had started to take shape, albeit a little out of the blue.

The first time O'Brien showed running promise was in grade one, when he tore around a kilometre track and passed one of the grade two boys who was known to be a strong runner. He never did little athletics but competed in regional finals in 400m and 1500m races in year seven, and broke a couple of records. Then he headed to the state trials, where he finished fourth in the 400m race and sixth in the longer event.

"As a country boy who had only run on the grass and through a few potholes, getting down to Lakeside Oval (a high-quality athletics track in Melbourne) was a massive change for me. There were kids there with spikes in their shoes and individual coaches. I didn't even have an athletics club, and I had to sign up with Bendigo just to put something down on the sheet," he said. "I wanted to come back the next year and show a bit more."

He did that, training hard to improve his running. The following year he won the state 400m title, breaking the school sports Victoria record (51.06 seconds). A few months later he headed to Canada for three weeks as part of a development track and field squad, and when he returned O'Brien ran in the national event and came third in the 400m race.

"I had to make a decision then about how much I pursued it versus my footy, but I saw people celebrating wins by going for a lap by themselves and I thought that's not really for me," he says.

"It got to a stage where Dad was dragging me out of bed for events, basically so I could add it to the list of sports I was doing before trying to get into a boarding school. If you can get a good sports resume together you have a better chance of getting into one of those schools in Victoria, but I always kept footy as my main goal."

O'Brien did get into a private school, leaving Mildura, a six-hour drive north-west from Melbourne, to board at prestigious private school Geelong Grammar, in the state’s south-west.

When he returns to school in a couple of weeks, he'll resume school cricket – he's known to be a powerful, compact batsman who likes a big shot – and he'll split his footy duties this season with his school side, Bendigo Pioneers in the TAC Cup and Vic Country at under-18 level. This will be his second stint with Country, after impressing with them in 2016 as a bottom-ager.

As O'Brien looks ahead to the next 10 months, his first hope is to have an injury-free season. Unfortunately, he’s off to a bad start on that front, tweaking his quad at training early in the Florida camp. The minor injury forced him to miss a lot of the training while on camp, including the 3km time trial which he was hoping to win. The injury will need to be assessed when he gets home. He has been waiting for this season for a long time, and doesn't want to start it on the sidelines.

"Since I was 13 I've thought about being drafted, and then the past couple of years I've gotten to know boys who have gone on to get picked. I want to do the same. It's something I think about every day and it changes how I go about things," he says.

"I don't want to drop off this year. So much effort has gone into the past five years, especially from my parents including the expenditure that comes with it. If it doesn't go as planned it will be a disappointment. I don't want that to happen."

O'Brien at prestigious private school Geelong Grammar. Picture: AFL Photos
obriengeelong101117.jpg

Monday, April 24, 2017
THE BALL bounced one way, and Lochie O'Brien went the other. He got pushed out of the way a couple of times, and found it hard to run off his opponent, fearing the ball would come back over his head and his man would kick an easy goal.

O'Brien's performance last week for the NAB AFL Academy, when he gathered a handful of touches against Carlton's VFL affiliate the Northern Blues, didn't go to plan. "It was a nightmare," O'Brien says, in his naturally blunt way. "I was filthy afterwards, and I always am after an average game. But more so that one, because it mattered."

He wasn't the only player to struggle in that game, as the Academy was whitewashed by 75 points at Etihad Stadium. But it followed what was a strong effort the week earlier, when O'Brien was among the best players as the Academy played an exhibition game at the MCG. He was also disappointed that the clash with the Blues, a side that included 17 Carlton players, ended his time with the Academy program on a low. "I seem to be a bit of a slow starter in games, but I need to work my way into things," he says.

It hasn't been the start to the season he was hoping for. He initially thought the quad injury he sustained in America was minor, but it restricted him for six weeks when he returned home, and he also had to focus on his cricket at school – training Monday, Wednesday and Thursday afternoons before playing on Fridays and Saturdays.

In between, on Tuesday nights, he was doing some light footy training to keep up his touch. He knows he has to dedicate time and effort to all sports – he's on a sports scholarship at Geelong, not just footy – but it's still tough to find the perfect balance.

It's a topic raised regularly by recruiters. O'Brien has come to know the people who will rank, analyse and dissect his potential leading up to the draft, and during the Academy gathering in Melbourne he had another round of interviews with every club. He's noticed a change in their line of questioning.

"The first few times I met them, they were all pretty nice and simply asked for background details. But after a while they start to ask more personal questions and put you on the spot with some things," he says.

"Collingwood asked what animal I thought I was and how that represented my football. I said I was a lion because I take great pride in my footy and they're a proud animal. I thought that was an OK answer."

O'Brien in action for the NAB AFL Academy. Picture: AFL Photos
obrienacademy101117.jpg

Other discussion points include what O'Brien is interested in away from footy, and what he'd like to do beyond running on the MCG with the ball tucked under his arm. Often prospects have little to offer on that front, having focused so heavily on honing their footy craft. But O'Brien went to Geelong Grammar intent to make the most of it from an educational point of view, and he's determined to become a pilot.

Aviation has run through his family. His grandfather used to run the Qantas link at Mildura airport, his mum was a flight attendant, and his dad worked at the regional airport as a baggage handler and staffer for 15 years. As a youngster, O'Brien would go to the airport on Friday nights in his pyjamas when his parents were working and have dinner.

The family, including younger sister Elle, travelled regularly to Bali, and O'Brien was always fascinated by planes, their infrastructure and how they get off the ground.

"Being a pilot would be an amazing job. I matched all my classes at school this year to get into the aviation course, so hopefully I can do well enough and make it into one," he says.

When he raised it with Sydney recruiters, list manager Kinnear Beatson organised a trip through a contact for O'Brien to head to Qantas and try one of its flight simulators. "We had a go on one of the new Dreamliners and it was unreal. It was a great experience," he says.

O'Brien has found moving to Geelong Grammar has come with increased pressure from a study perspective, on top of the added expectation on his football.

The school team hasn't won a premiership for more than 100 years, but is considered one of the favourites this season, given four of its players – O'Brien, Jarrod Brander, Paddy Dow and Brent Daniels – are tipped to be drafted at the end of the year. But he understands that's what comes with the territory, and sees it as something of an introduction to the pressures an AFL player faces at the next level.

But that's not to say his move from Mildura to the school – a six-hour drive or a 60-minute flight – hasn't been without its challenges. He looked at moving to a school in Ballarat for year nine, but was overwhelmed when he visited the boarding house and realised what a move would entail. It wasn't until 2015, when he was in year 10 and a tad more mature, that he made the decision to go to Geelong. He misses his family and friends in Mildura, and sometimes feels himself getting down about not being there for special occasions.

It's also been a challenge for his parents. Every time O'Brien goes home and then has to leave again, Deb finds herself in tears in the driveway. At school Elle is asked regularly about how her brother's footy is going, and every weekend Jason makes the 12-hour round trip to watch him play.

Dad has missed only one game since his son moved to Melbourne – last year's under-17 NAB AFL All Stars game at Punt Road Oval. O'Brien knew how much it hurt his dad to miss the game, so in the warm-up on the ground had his iPhone headphones in and pretended to be listening to music. Instead, he gave Jason a call to say he was in the centre circle and looking forward to the game. He went on to kick two goals from 20 disposals in a bright display. "I broke down crying. It was really thoughtful," Jason said.

Three weeks ago, O'Brien started his season with 26 disposals and two goals in Bendigo's 12-point win over the Greater Western Victoria Rebels. His mixed bag of showings for the Academy the past couple of weeks hasn't rocked his confidence too much, but he knows the start of the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships in June marks the most important period of the year.

"A lot of my training is going towards improving my contested ball-winning abilities and tackling," he says. "It's a big period of the year coming up. I know people look at the carnival and then go back to it to judge your year, so I want to go well."

Didn't he smash the beep test ? I would love to see how he would go with a good ticker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It certainly appears that he did. And that’s great.

However there are a number of questions that arise from this revelation:

1. When did the condition reveal itself?

2. When did he commence on the medication?

3. If a recent thing, have the condition or medication had an impact on his physical performance?

4. Will this condition and treatment enable him to become an AFL player and maintain an elite level of fitness for the next 12-15 years?

If it is recent and it has impacted on his physical performance eyebrows should be raised.

If there is potential for it to affect his long term ability to get to AFL standard fitness then that is a risk too far for a pick 4 imo.

It certainly appears that he did. And that’s great.

However there are a number of questions that arise from this revelation:

1. When did the condition reveal itself?

2. When did he commence on the medication?

3. If a recent thing, have the condition or medication had an impact on his physical performance?

4. Will this condition and treatment enable him to become an AFL player and maintain an elite level of fitness for the next 12-15 years?

If it is recent and it has impacted on his physical performance eyebrows should be raised.

If there is potential for it to affect his long term ability to get to AFL standard fitness then that is a risk too far for a pick 4 imo.

Didnt NN mention a number of weeks ago that North were expecting Stephenson to be a huge slider come draft night? And that he might even make it to #23?

Didnt NN mention a number of weeks ago that North were expecting Stephenson to be a huge slider come draft night? And that he might even make it to #23?
Dunno.

Maybe there is a correlation. One would think that given he is a top 7 rated player that if he gets to 23 that perhaps he should not be taken with anything but a speculative pick?

Why are we suddenly believing this now? Why hasn't any journalist mentioned this 'heart condition' in their articles?
Ok, I've asked Jaidyn directly and it is true however it doesn't affect him. It's only a small dose.

Surprised no article has mentioned it as they usually do.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...nis-prodigy-jackson-ross-20171111-gzjfgf.html

AFL draft: Advantage footy for ex-tennis prodigy Jackson Ross

For Jackson Ross, it was a case of "new balls, please."

From the age of four until he was 16, Ross' No. 1 sport, was tennis. He pinch-hit playing footy in under 10s, 11s and 12s, but it was with the racquet, not the Sherrin, that Ross spent most of his sporting youth.

1510464029755.jpg

Ex-tennis prodigy Jackson Ross was attracted to the team aspects of footy Photo: Eddie Jim

How good was he? "I was close to top 10 in the country for my age," Ross explains.

"I went over to Europe for a month or so to see what it was like over there so that was pretty cool.

"I was pretty aggressive, serve-volleyer, a bit impatient."

A 2012 story on the Tennis Australia website shows Ross was grunting all the right noises about a tennis career.

Advertisement

"[I want] to be world No.1 and win a Grand Slam," he said at the time, pointing to Novak Djokovic as his favourite player because "he fights for everything he does".

But tennis was all-consuming. Ross resumed playing a bit of footy at Haileybury College, and the allure of team sport broke tennis' serve. Advantage footy.

"You're on your feet training, playing six seven times a week. Just by yourself," he said.

"It's a bit of a lonely sport.

"That's probably the one thing that led me to footy, being with teammates and having that big, strong build with mates."

The decision to pick footy looks likely to pay dividends at the national draft later this month.

In just a couple of years, Ross has established himself as a likely draftee. A wide-roaming forward/wingman, Ross likens himself to Adelaide's Tom Lynch. "[I'm] probably more of a unique player compared to most," he says.

"I'm 193 centimetres but I can probably play like a bloke who's 174 centimetres. That tall wingman who can push forward as well and create."

He was reasonably happy with his 2017 on-field output at Haileybury and the Eastern Ranges. "I've been pretty consistent, probably one thing I was trying to do compared to last year."

The highlight in a school premiership year was a win over rivals Brighton Grammar, a victory Ross said Matthew Lloyd enjoyed a lot. The Essendon goalkicking great has been coaching at Haileybury, which is handy for Ross.

"He's helped me a fair bit," Ross says.

Not that it was Lloyd who Ross grew up supporting. Instead he was a Collingwood supporter, regularly going to games until recent years. He attended the 2010 grand final replay, but had missed the draw the previous week for an unusual reason: He had chicken pox.

Ross – who has three older sisters – says he watches a lot of sport, and has an interest in getting into the sports media, talking about getting into a media/communications or marketing course at university. But while he has a keen eye on the AFL scene, he doesn't follow tennis much anymore. He has moved on.

"I go to the Australian Open and that sort of stuff but I never really plug in on TV and that," he says.

"I haven't looked back."

http://www.footyology.com.au/footyologys-draft-rankings-no-11-andrew-brayshaw/

Footyology’s draft rankings – No. 11: Andrew Brayshaw

No. 11 – ANDREW BRAYSHAW
Victoria (Sandringham Dragons)
Midfielder

Born: 8/11/1999
Height: 183cm
Weight: 80kg

TAC CUP STATS
Disposals: 24.8
Kicks: 12.2
Handballs: 12.6
Handball efficiency: 77%
Kicking efficiency: 68%
Marks: 4
Tackles: 6.6
Goals: 0.8
One elite attribute: Toughness. A rare midfielder who tackles ferociously, yet when he has the ball is cool, calm and collected.
Best-case comparison: Steele Sidebottom

WHAT HE’S GOT

Hard at it: Brayshaw is not as big as his brother Angus, but he puts his head over the ball and will tackle anyone, regardless of size, without trepidation. He averaged more than seven tackles in five of his 10 games in the TAC Cup and in two had 11 tackles.

Decision-making: Brayshaw is clean by hand and foot and makes very sound decisions with the ball. Going to be a coach favourite.

Work ethic: An honest footballer who has probably outperformed expectations in 2017. Through Angus, he knows what’s required to make it at the next level.

Endurance: A true grinder who will maintain a strong impact when others get tired; came first in the Yo-Yo test at the draft combine.

WHAT HE LACKS

Athleticism: Not particularly fast, strong or tall and he doesn’t leap. But as mentioned above – he gets by on his incredible footy IQ and endeavour.

Taking the game on: Brayshaw doesn’t have the athletic prowess to break games wide open in the traditional sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously giantroo , the club needs to get you on board in some official role. Its ridiculous the amount of work you do for fans of the club without being paid or rewarded in any form. Even if its just a minor title and you keep doing exactly what you do now, its past time the club rewards you for years of amazing contributions. We should petition the club or something.

Seriously giantroo , the club needs to get you on board in some official role. Its ridiculous the amount of work you do for fans of the club without being paid or rewarded in any form. Even if its just a minor title and you keep doing exactly what you do now, its past time the club rewards you for years of amazing contributions. We should petition the club or something.

We really should rename the whole board after him.

Or even bigfooty

Ok, I've asked Jaidyn directly and it is true however it doesn't affect him. It's only a small dose.

Surprised no article has mentioned it as they usually do.

So how's Nick?

I get playing safe with a very early pick but all players come with a degree of risk.

What we need in terms of playing list is some magic and Jayden has that complemented by a solid set of attributes in terms of height, eventual build, athleticism and personality.

He's the Creme Brulee to the 'jello' in terms of a few other kids in it.
Or jello pudding p... wait sorry no.

I'm hoping we go with whoever has the best mixture of skills and accumulation ability.

If Stephenson slides this could re-shape the entire top 10.

Do Freo now consider Rayner at #2 knowing that they can get a mid at #5 (perhaps Brayshaw)?

If so does Carlton take Cerra at #3 leaving Dow or LDU to slide to #4?

If Freo take a mid at #2 do they consider D.Fogarty or even Naughton at #5 rather than taking 2 mids?

Will this mean Brayshaw is gone before STK's picks thus they opt for Bonar?

Had heard Dogs linked with Murphy however I assumed #16 but was invited to draft thus I guess it could be #9?

Knightmare's November phantom draft: The first three rounds

ROUND ONE:

1 Brisbane - Paddy Dow
Height, Weight: 185cm, 78kg
Summary Profile: Complete midfielder who thrives on the hard, contested side of the game. Moves well and possesses clean skills.

2 Fremantle - Luke Davies-Uniacke
Height, Weight:
187cm, 85kg
Summary Profile: Dynamic, explosive, ball-winning midfielder who breaks away from contests with his acceleration. A match-up nightmare when he pushes forward, taking advantage of opponents one-on-one.

3 Carlton - Cameron Rayner
Height, Weight: 187cm, 88kg
Summary Profile: Forward who is aggressive, powerful, explosive and seemingly unstoppable one-on-one. With time as endurance builds, he is expected to transition more into a midfielder.

4 North Melbourne - Darcy Fogarty
Height, Weight: 192cm, 95kg
Summary Profile: Powerful, but athletic utility with clean skills. If not for an injury-riddled 2017 he might be in the pick one conversation.

5 Fremantle - Adam Cerra
Height, Weight: 186cm, 85kg
Summary Profile: Powerful ball winner through the midfield who possesses class, clean skills and composure. If not for injuries, would be in the conversation for pick one as he is arguably this year's best all-around midfielder.

6 Collingwood - Aaron Naughton
Height, Weight: 194cm, 85kg
Summary Profile: Ready-to-go key defender who takes intercept marks, wins one-on-one contests, and possesses athleticism. WAFL League form though his last seven matches will give recruiters confidence to take early.

7 St Kilda - Andrew Brayshaw
Height, Weight: 184cm, 82kg
Summary Profile: Brother of Melbourne's Angus Brayshaw, Andrew is a complete midfielder suited to playing both inside and outside roles. Impressed at the draft combine with his endurance testing.

8 St Kilda - Jaidyn Stephenson
Height, Weight: 189cm, 76kg
Summary Profile: Athletic midfielder who provides outside run and an aerial target up forward. The bigger the stage, the better he performs.

9. Western Bulldogs - Nick Coffield
Height, Weight: 191cm, 83kg
Summary Profile: Evasive, classy and composed defender. Has the scope to develop into a midfielder over time.

10 Carlton - Aiden Bonar
Height, Weight: 189cm, 89kg
Summary Profile: Injury plagued, but powerful and athletic prospect. Likely starts as a forward and develops into a midfielder as his endurance improves.

11 Greater Western Sydney - Nathan Murphy
Height, Weight: 188cm, 84kg
Summary Profile: Murphy has chosen an AFL career having focused on cricket prior to this year. Mobile utility who is effective as either a forward or defender.

12 Adelaide - Charlie Constable
Height, Weight: 190cm, 86kg
Summary Profile: Tall midfielder with clean skills and impressive vision. Would be suited to developing as a rebounding defender.

13 West Coast - Jarrod Brander
Height, Weight: 195cm, 93kg
Summary Profile: Talented key position player with the scope to develop at either end. Mobile tall who reads the ball well in flight and is a clean ball user.

14 Sydney - Oscar Allen
Height, Weight: 191cm, 83kg
Summary Profile: Undersized key forward who has performed as well as any, leading the Under-18 Championships with 11 goals. Smart on the lead and just as good at ground level.

15 Brisbane - Hunter Clark
Height, Weight: 186cm, 80kg
Summary Profile: Well-rounded midfielder who is clean on both sides of the body. Just as good inside the contest as he is on the outside.

16 Western Bulldogs - Jack Higgins
Height, Weight: 178cm, 77kg
Summary Profile: Ready-to-go, productive midfielder who won the Morrish Medal as the best and fairest player in the VFL Under-19 competition Arguably more damaging up forward with his clean, one-touch play.

17 Richmond - Noah Balta
Height, Weight: 195cm, 95kg
Summary Profile: Freakishly athletic key position player. Breaks the lines, possesses rare clearness at ground level, and is a strong mark who will take front position in the marking contest.

18 Brisbane - Lachlan Fogarty
Height, Weight: 179cm, 75kg
Summary Profile: Hard-nosed midfielder who loves to tackle and possesses clean skills. Western's best player in each of his last three games, amassing 36 tackles in the matches.

19 Gold Coast - Zac Bailey
Height, Weight: 181cm, 81kg
Summary Profile: Speedy midfielder who gets to the right spots at stoppages. Stood out for Allies during the Under-18 Championships.

20 Richmond - Sam Hayes
Height, Weight: 203cm, 93kg
Summary Profile: Talented ruckman who is just as capable as a strong-marking key forward. Under-18 All-Australian the past two seasons.

ROUND TWO:

21 West Coast - Lochie O'Brien
Height, Weight: 184cm, 77kg
Summary Profile: Arguably the best kick in the draft, and this year's most damaging outside player. Line-breaker who may have been a top-five draft selection if not for niggles that have limited output.

22 Geelong - Matthew Ling
Height, Weight: 183cm, 75kg
Summary Profile: Arguably the fastest line breaker in the draft. Ball use on left is precise and can also open up games.

23 North Melbourne - Jordan Houlahan
Height, Weight: 186cm, 78kg
Summary Profile: Athletic forward who is a threat in the air and at ground level. More a pure forward at this stage rather than a forward/midfielder.

24 Geelong - Harrison Petty
Height, Weight: 195cm, 82kg
Summary Profile: South Australian Under-18 MVP during the Under-18 Championships. Key defender who takes intercept marks and uses the ball cleanly from defence.

25 Richmond - Patrick Naish
Height, Weight: 181cm, 69kg
Summary Profile: Eligible for Richmond as a father-son selection. Naish adds outside run and class through the midfield and up forward.

26 West Coast - Tim Kelly
Height, Weight: 183cm, 83kg
Summary Profile: Dynamic 23-year-old midfielder who had breakout season. Possesses pace, class and has developed into a capable ball winner.

27 Greater Western Sydney - Ed Richards
Height, Weight: 185cm, 78kg
Summary Profile: Speedy backman/outside runner with clean skills and a classy left-foot kick. Strong finish to season sees Richards rise up draft boards.

28 Greater Western Sydney - Charlie Spargo
Height, Weight: 173cm, 73kg
Summary Profile: Shoulder surgery saw Spargo miss the better part of the season. Capable ball winner with speed who plays through the midfield and up forward.

29 Melbourne - Charlie Ballard
Height, Weight: 196cm, 82kg
Summary Profile: Late blooming, tall wingman with scope to develop into a key forward. Possess good skills, composure, mobility, and is a strong overhead mark.

30 Carlton - Jack Petruccelle
Height, Weight: 185cm, 77kg
Summary Profile: High impact-per-possession player. Dynamic ball winner with a big leap and line breaking pace.

31 Melbourne - Dylan Moore
Height, Weight: 176cm, 66kg
Summary Profile: Outside running midfielder and forward with clean skills. Starred at national combine in endurance testing and has developed a reputation for running out games strongly.

32 West Coast - Bayley Fritsch
Height, Weight: 186cm, 82kg
Summary Profile: Mature age forward who kicked 42 goals from 19 games after struggling with injury in recent years. Possesses scope to develop as a defender with long left-foot kick and strong mark.

33 Sydney - Joel Garner
Height, Weight: 184cm, 83kg
Summary Profile: Skilled utility who has generated a fair bit of hype. Not a big accumulator but uses the ball neatly.

34 St Kilda - Gryan Miers
Height, Weight: 178cm, 77kg
Summary Profile: Energetic forward with smarts who always seems involved. Kicked seven goals in the TAC Cup Grand Final.

35 Geelong - Toby Wooller
Height, Weight: 193cm, 90kg
Summary Profile: Strong-bodied key forward who provides a marking presence. Just as capable as a big-bodied, ball-winning midfielder.

36 Melbourne - Sam Taylor
Height, Weight: 196cm, 85kg
Summary Profile: Intercept marking key defender who reads the flight well. Capable both as a rebounder and stopper.

37 West Coast - Brandon Starcevich
Height, Weight: 187cm, 88kg
Summary Profile: Powerful ball-winning midfielder with courage. Possesses hurt factor with a damaging long kick, and lowers his eyes and hits the short targets.

ROUND THREE:

38 Collingwood - Ryley Stoddart
Height, Weight: 185cm, 74kg
Summary Profile: Rebounding defender who uses the ball cleanly from defence and provides run. Will peel off his man at suitable times to take intercept marks.

39 Adelaide - Kane Farrell
Height, Weight: 182cm, 74kg
Summary Profile: Classy utility with composure and pace. Damaging, long left-foot kick.

40 Brisbane - Connor Ballenden
Height, Weight: 199cm, 95kg
Summary Profile: Eligible for Brisbane as an academy selection. Strong-marking key position player who reads the flight effectively and uses the ball cleanly on both sides.

41 Gold Coast - Oscar Clavarino
Height, Weight: 196cm, 86kg
Summary Profile: Solid key defender with strength in one-on-one contests. Much improved intercept mark and a clean kick from defence.

42 Fremantle - Tom McCartin
Height, Weight: 193cm, 86kg
Summary Profile: Younger brother of St Kilda's Paddy McCartin. Athletic and goes on long leads high up the field.

43 Hawthorn - Ben Miller
Height, Weight: 196cm, 98kg
Summary Profile: Athletic key forward who starred at the draft combine in the 20m sprint and agility testing. Clean at ground level and plays with composure.

44 Brisbane - Jack Payne
Height, Weight: 196cm, 96kg
Summary Profile: Eligible for Brisbane as an academy selection. Key defender with one-on-one strength and clean ball use out of the back half.

45 St Kilda - Andrew McPherson
Height, Weight: 186cm, 79kg
Summary Profile: Composed half-back flanker who is an able stopper and uses the ball cleanly out of defence. Also has capability to push through the midfield.

46 Port Adelaide - Jackson Ross
Height, Weight: 193cm, 75kg
Summary Profile: Raw, athletic forward who chose football over tennis. Untapped with strong scope to develop.

47 Melbourne - Will Walker
Height, Weight: 187cm, 80kg
Summary Profile: Ball-winning midfielder who is dangerous up forward. Finds ways to hit the scoreboard.

48 Essendon - James Worpel
Height, Weight: 185cm, 86kg
Summary Profile: Ready-to-go midfielder with AFL size and game. Stoppage specialist who thrives on the contested elements of the game.

49 Port Adelaide - Callum Coleman-Jones
Height, Weight: 203cm, 98kg
Summary Profile: Big-bodied ruckman and key forward. Mobile and a powerful contested mark.

50 Gold Coast - Brent Daniels
Height, Weight:
172cm, 70kg
Summary Profile: Speedy forward with good football smarts who can push up through the midfield. Most dangerous around goal.

51 Sydney - Oskar Baker
Height, Weight:
183cm, 77kg
Summary Profile: Previously cut from Brisbane's Academy. Outside line-breaker who takes on the game relentlessly with pace and hurt factor.

52 Brisbane - Jordan Johnston
Height, Weight:
185cm, 77kg
Summary Profile: Exciting forward who can push through the midfield. High leaper, talented at ground level, dangerous with ball in hand and applies good forward pressure.

53 Richmond - Brayden Ainsworth
Height, Weight:
184cm, 79kg
Summary Profile: Overage midfielder who moves effectively through traffic and possesses strong contested ball-winning capabilities.

54 Gold Coast - Haiden Schloithe
Height, Weight:
184cm, 83kg
Summary Profile: Ex-Docker who won the Sandover Medal as fairest and best player in the West Australian Football League, he can play round one as either a midfielder or forward. Has developed contested ball winning capabilities.

55 Richmond - Ben Paton
Height, Weight:
186cm, 78kg
Summary Profile: Overage defender with pace and clean skills. Capable rebounder, interceptor and stopper with a ready-to-go game.

Back