Review 2017 AFL National Draft - Friday 24th November

Dow, LDU & Rayner are taken. Who do you select at pick 4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

No, I don't believe u can choose which pick u use to match a bid. It now has to come from your first selection post the bid. Also you can only go to the draft with as many picks as you have list spots. Thus it would seem we would want 5 spots or so come draft night.

Yes and no.

Points from bid matching come from your next pick in draft order and if that isnt enough to match then you subsequent pick is added and so forth.

However you do have the option of trading your picks into the positions that you think are best suited to where bids might come. Thus if we hold 7 & 25 and expect a TT bid at 6 we may opt to trade those 2 selections for 5 & 60 thus positioning ourselves to get an early pick plus TT.

Also worth noting that draft night pick trading maybe introduced as of next year and how the rules around this are set out may change strategies significantly.

Yes and no.

Points from bid matching come from your next pick in draft order and if that isnt enough to match then you subsequent pick is added and so forth.

However you do have the option of trading your picks into the positions that you think are best suited to where bids might come. Thus if we hold 7 & 25 and expect a TT bid at 6 we may opt to trade those 2 selections for 5 & 60 thus positioning ourselves to get an early pick plus TT.

Also worth noting that draft night pick trading maybe introduced as of next year and how the rules around this are set out may change strategies significantly.

Geez live trading on draft night. It's going to be a cracker next year.

ADC's draft review:

North Melbourne
Duncan Robertson

Pick 4 – Luke Davies-Uniacke (Dandenong Stingrays) 187cm | 85kg | Inside Midfielder

A complete midfielder and rightfully in the pre-draft pick one discussions, the Haileybury product was not expected to remain on the board at the Roos’ pick. Strong, polished and a great leader, LDU had an excellent season for the Stingrays, Vic Country and in the APS, where he was simply dominant. A big game performer, he does his best work at the stoppages, but is far more classy than the stereotypical inside type. A gem of a player.

Pick 23 – Will Walker (Sandringham Dragons) 187cm | 78kg | Midfielder / General Forward

A bolter in every sense of the word, Walker is one who came from a long way back to go early in the second round. Likely not even viewed as a strong rookie chance at the start of the year, the soccer convert is slippery at half forward and bursts strongly from the contest when he lobs in midfield. While his kicking remains a work in progress, it is more in the nature of ‘lowering his eyes’ than a flaw in technique. One with tremendous upside.

Pick 62 – Kyron Hayden (Subiaco) 186cm | 87kg | Inside Midfielder

The similarities with Port firebrand Sam Powell-Pepper are hard to ignore, with both WA products being strong on the inside, and agile and aggressive at the contest. Where Hayden falls behind is in his endurance; though he’s ready-made physically to play AFL football, he needs time to build a tank capable of impacting a game in his bruising style at the pace required at the top level.

Pick 72 – Tristan Xerri (Western Jets) 201cm | 93kg | Ruckman / Key Forward

More a ruckman than a forward, Xerri becomes the first AFL footballer to have a surname beginning with X. A somewhat raw prospect, he is a decent kick for a very big kid and has worked hard to improve his forward craft. Will be given time behind Goldstein, Preuss and Daw.

Pick 77 – Billy Hartung (Hawthorn) 177cm | 78kg | Outside Midfielder

With their final pick, the Roos threw a lifeline to surprise Hawthorn delisting Hartung. Known for his superb running power, he adds dash and some experience to a midfield decimated by retirements over the past couple of years. At 22 he’s likely to be in the mix immediately.

Summary:

North Melbourne targeted a number of areas in the draft, picking up two speedsters and two inside midfielders, while filling a key position void with a developing tall. Hartung is ready-made to go and while his deficiencies have been made public, he has one of the biggest tanks in the AFL and certainly offers the Roos line-breaking speed. Davies-Uniacke has the strong burst out of a stoppage and is ready-made as well, while Walker can add a point of difference up forward. Hayden will further add to that inside presence once he builds his endurance, while Xerri will spend considerable time in the reserves, having already played at Werribee so it will be a familiar surrounding.

I’m interested from people in the know.

Walker’s highlights look pretty damn good, however he was not in the conversation prior to his selection. Considering they seem like similar players why would we have chosen him over Constable who had been getting rave reviews leading up to the draft?
Coach brother esp

Suspended
I had walker in the top 20 so we actually got a slider.
Suspended again! How many times do we at HR have to tell you that groin tests must first be consented to? ( we love you GG as you keep the HR budget intact).

That's his highlight from our draft.

What a massive donkey.
Good observation. Similarities are uncanny.

The noise a donkey makes "eeee awww" is pretty funny. What comes out of Buckenara's mouth and keyboard is just as funny.

There is no doubt in my opinion they nailed their picks Brayshaw the ultimate professional midfielder and Cerra just a pure class act as long as they can keep him.They will be very pleased with their picks , as we should be.
I was saying at the TAC cup final that if we chose Brayshaw at #4 I would not be unhappy at the choice. Funny he kind of reminded me of Lachie Neale and ends up at Freo. As long as Cerra stays at Freo, Freo have done VERY well.

We may have a Brownlow medalist but who knows if he was the best fit for them. They want players to stay.

Luke Davies-Uniacke, Will Walker, Kyron Hayden, Tristan Xerri and former Hawk Billy Hartung were officially welcomed to the club on Monday, introduced to the playing group, before joining their new teammates for a light training run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Judging by today’s training photos Will Walker is a Project player with a capital P. Even LDU isn’t impressed with him - his look says “where the heck did you get this kid from?”

ac339b878cfadfb6741f83f4768c8aa0.jpg
0b462b448cb72211507ba1c07505363f.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kingy must of not willing to do it for peanuts so they go for his chubba nugget mate Luffy

Kingy must of not willing to do it for peanuts so they go for his chubba nugget mate Luffy

Luffy is THE best analyser out there. King has been ripping off Luff's view for years.

If it was American Sports he'd be one of the highest paid special comments commentators in the game.

Fortunately for us we have Luke Darcy, Ben Dixon and Brian Lake instead......

Luffy is THE best analyser out there. King has been ripping off Luff's view for years.

If it was American Sports he'd be one of the highest paid special comments commentators in the game.

I'm pretty sure Luffy is a BFNMAAK too?..

Yep have a lot of time for Luffy, I'll be tuning in.

Judging by today’s training photos Will Walker is a Project player with a capital P. Even LDU isn’t impressed with him - his look says “where the heck did you get this kid from?”

ac339b878cfadfb6741f83f4768c8aa0.jpg
0b462b448cb72211507ba1c07505363f.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Definitely built like a soccer player, get him in the gym.

I was more taking a dig at Kingy :)

Luffy's ok. I don't hold him in that high of a degree though...unless you were being sarcastic. But I shouldn't of called him a chubba nugget if he was is a NM supporter....I am very MEAN....except to our own ;P

Back