2017 AFL Pre-season/Rookie Drafts 5pm, (AEDST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

You just beat me to the punch was just about to post this as couldn't see a thread for it. Will leave that for Dave. TradeDraft

Know nothing about him but at least we add a 24yo, 192cm, project KPD. Worth a go as a Cat B.

Apparently played footy in country SA until he was 18 at which time he switched to focussing on basketball.
More info to come :D

Why the frick can't I PM him? and where is he?

Last edited:
Laying the foundations this off season. All the action will be next year end.

5 older guys with 1 yr left who highly likely won't get extended, Mayne who they'll try get rid of, J.Thomas, J. Smith, Broomhead, Sier, Aish all playing for their careers with 1 yr remaining as well as Fas and Reid no certainty to stay on the free agency list.

I can see 10 list changes next year. Thats pretty much everyone thats needed to be turned over since 2016.

Exciting times ahead for the Pies provided we can land Lynch.

"5 older guys with 1 yr left who highly likely won't get extended" -- who are they?

I can't imagine 10 changes next year. Next year will be another building year, with expectations to make bottom half of the 8. Then the year after should be top 4 aim. Bucks has 2 years after all.

Of those you mentioned, I'd expect Broomhead, Thomas and Aish to stay.

'
Interesting trivia really. As I said many of them could just as easily been drafted onto the senior list. Especially Maxwell. Toovey too, that was a flip of the coin and he and Sam Iles basically went head to head at training for that last senior spot. Iles got the spot and Toovey missed out and was rookie listed instead. Mistake made there as it turns out so claiming it as a win because he came from the rookie list is basically wrong. Its a mistake that didnt cost us.

Rookie list serves many purposes depending upon need and where the club is in its cycle. Sometimes its VFL quality depth (Schade, Mihocek Smith), sometimes its overseas players (Cox, Clarke, others) sometimes it specualtive picks (players from other sports eg Lynch, Keeffe), sometimes its quality young players who need long development lead times (O'Brien, Wellingham) , sometimes its an exit strategy for players on their last chance (too many to count) . Sometimes its aging veterans recruited for the very short term (Hudson) Sometimes its used as a sin bin for convicted drug cheats!!
Lol

And all the way at the end was your sting.
Very very good build up
Then....

Whack!

Alternatively, you could bugger the bird and take the bush in hand.
Can get arrested in some countries for that....

Or not

"5 older guys with 1 yr left who highly likely won't get extended" -- who are they?

I can't imagine 10 changes next year. Next year will be another building year, with expectations to make bottom half of the 8. Then the year after should be top 4 aim. Bucks has 2 years after all.

5 guys - Greenwood, Blair, Goldsack, Varcoe, Dunn. Thomas not far behind. Also if they paid Mayne extra this year he won't be far behind if they can find a trade.

Of those you mentioned, I'd expect Broomhead, Thomas and Aish to stay.[/QUOTE]

Broomhead is a list clogger, Thomas only worthwhile on the rookie list.

Not sure why everyone is so insistant on hanging on to hacks.

Broomhead is a list clogger, Thomas only worthwhile on the rookie list.

Not sure why everyone is so insistant on hanging on to hacks.[/QUOTE]

Disagree with you on those two. Broomhead has talent, just hasn't managed to put it together and partly due to injuries. Thomas was good (but not great) when he came back this year. He could easily be part of a finals team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have enough players ending their contracts at the end of 2018 that list management wont be an issue. There will be many permutations and combinations next trade/draft period. At this early stage I'd suggest all the below will be under the pump for one reason or another (in jersey number order). It will be interesting to see hour their seasons pan out, especially the unfulfilled talent like Aish Thomas Broomhead Wills Crocker and Sier.

Blair
Aish
Goldsack
Dunn
Mayne
Varcoe
Greenwood
Thomas
Broomhead
Wills
Sier
Crocker
Smith

And to a lesser extent....
Fasolo
Wells
Scharenburg
Reid
Cox

Too early to make any calls just yet although surely its curtains for Blair!! Lots of players at the crossroads or nearing the end of their careers.

Last edited:
We have enough players ending their contracts at the end of 2018 that list management wont be an issue. There will be many permutations and combinations next trade/draft period. At this early stage I'd suggest all the below will be under the pump for one reason or another (in jersey number order). It will be interesting to see hour their seasons pan out, especially the unfulfilled talent like Aish Thomas Broomhead Wills Crocker and Sier.

Blair
Aish
Goldsack
Dunn
Mayne
Varcoe
Greenwood
Thomas
Broomhead
Wills
Sier
Crocker
Smith

Fasolo
Wells
Scharenburg
Reid
Cox

Too early to make any calls just yet although surely its curtains for Blair!! Lots of players at the crossroads or nearing the end of their careers.
Definitely could be a massive cull end of next year. Would be fine with any of those players being moved on if it means we can get Lynch.

Definitely could be a massive cull end of next year. Would be fine with any of those players being moved on if it means we can get Lynch.

Disclaimer.....I didnt fact check which of those players are actually out of contract.....but it seems we should have lots of cap and trade flexibility this time next year.

I'm more interested in seeing who proves their worth rather than who can we delist.....I'm a glass half full kinda guy....

Blair
Aish
Goldsack
Dunn
Mayne
Varcoe
Greenwood

Thomas
Broomhead
Wills
Sier
Crocker
Smith

Fasolo
Wells
Scharenburg
Reid
Cox

As I understand it, those in RED are uncontracted at the end of 2018, those in GREEN are uncontracted and FA's. Cox and Crocker just signed new deals.

I hope they upgrade Oxley to Rookie List prior to the season commencing...
They also need to put Josh Thomas back there (Rookie List page) from the senior list one! And 'fix' the pictures of all the new recruits while they're at it! It may not be a big deal in the overall scheme of things, but it looks decidedly unprofessional, and they really have had enough time now to get it all done properly.

They also need to put Josh Thomas back there (Rookie List page) from the senior list one! And 'fix' the pictures of all the new recruits while they're at it! It may not be a big deal in the overall scheme of things, but it looks decidedly unprofessional, and they really have had enough time now to get it all done properly.
As I understand the photos are done annually on photo day.

I actually think ALL the players should be on the same page, maybe denote a rookie with (r) * etc

As I understand the photos are done annually on photo day.

I actually think ALL the players should be on the same page, maybe denote a rookie with (r) * etc
So I presume we haven't had our photo day yet?! If not, that would at least provide a reasonable "excuse" I suppose, but I'm still getting over the disappointment of seeing our club be the last to release their 2018 jumper numbers!!

Oxley has been back on our list for a couple of months, and they surely could have just resurrected his old photo and details and put them in the appropriate spot. Thomas has been on our Rookie List since late 2015 (I'm pretty sure that's right), so they didn't need to move him to the other page in the first place (even when he was temporarily elevated to the main list).

I've just checked on where all of the other clubs are at with the same section of their websites. More than half of them have got everything done nicely, from what I can see. Fremantle's is like ours, with "temporary" photos for new players. There's quite a few clubs that don't have pictures at all for some players, and we do at least have that covered (except for Oxley, of course!). So ours is certainly not in the worst shape out of all the clubs, I'm pleased to say!

I see Geelong and Port Adelaide do show all the players on the one page, BTW. The Bulldogs do the same thing, yet strangely they still show the rookies on another page.

So I presume we haven't had our photo day yet?! If not, that would at least provide a reasonable "excuse" I suppose, but I'm still getting over the disappointment of seeing our club be the last to release their 2018 jumper numbers!!

Oxley has been back on our list for a couple of months, and they surely could have just resurrected his old photo and details and put them in the appropriate spot. Thomas has been on our Rookie List since late 2015 (I'm pretty sure that's right), so they didn't need to move him to the other page in the first place (even when he was temporarily elevated to the main list).

I've just checked on where all of the other clubs are at with the same section of their websites. More than half of them have got everything done nicely, from what I can see. Fremantle's is like ours, with "temporary" photos for new players. There's quite a few clubs that don't have pictures at all for some players, and we do at least have that covered (except for Oxley, of course!). So ours is certainly not in the worst shape out of all the clubs, I'm pleased to say!

I see Geelong and Port Adelaide do show all the players on the one page, BTW. The Bulldogs do the same thing, yet strangely they still show the rookies on another page.
Am sure we haven’t yet had photo day.
Usually the club shows a bunch of stuff from the day, then we know it’s done.

Totally agree they surely can get every player in the right spot including Oxley.
Just looks pedestrian the way it is now.

Didn’t know other clubs group them all together- that’s how it should be as it’s easy to see all the numbers in order.

I do know the AFL has the websites to be all in same style (club colours the different genres part).

Agree, it’s a simple thing that could be better presented.

(That our numbers were released last I’m not that fussed on; club can decide that in its time; though I love guessing who gets which number.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back