AFL 2017 - AFL Round 14

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I guess I'm a moron...I bet on multi's and I do quite well. For example, if I put $100 on the Bulldogs at $1.46, I make $46 profit. If I put $100 on Melbourne at $1.85, I make $85 profit. A total profit of $131. For both teams in a multi, the odds are $2.73. A profit of $173 if both win, based on a $100 outlay. A profit of $346 on a $200 outlay, which is equal to my $100 single bet on each individual game. Each to his own.

That's a dumb bet. The probability of a $1.46 chance and a $1.85 chance both winning is 32.5% which is approximately odds of $3.10.

Yet you're taking odds of $2.73. Crazy.

You're getting ripped off. You're better off taking both teams in seperate bets. You got lucky because they both won but in terms of pure numbers, you took odds lower than what you should have, and if that's the case you should never take the bet.

Well, I guess I'm a moron...I bet on multi's and I do quite well. For example, if I put $100 on the Bulldogs at $1.46, I make $46 profit. If I put $100 on Melbourne at $1.85, I make $85 profit. A total profit of $131. For both teams in a multi, the odds are $2.73. A profit of $173 if both win, based on a $100 outlay. A profit of $346 on a $200 outlay, which is equal to my $100 single bet on each individual game. Each to his own.

I do them occasionally for a bit of fun but theres no difference between a $100 multi of dogs and melbourne and just putting 100 on dogs then rolling that 146 profit onto dees at 1.85, in the end ur still risking the same amount. Only use for a multi is if game times overlap or if u think odds are gonna shorten beforehand so u lock in the better price

That's a dumb bet. The probability of a $1.46 chance and a $1.85 chance both winning is 32.5% which is approximately odds of $3.10.

Yet you're taking odds of $2.73. Crazy.

You're getting ripped off. You're better off taking both teams in seperate bets. You got lucky because they both won but in terms of pure numbers, you took odds lower than what you should have, and if that's the case you should never take the bet.
I'm sketchy on the maths, but doesn't it work out that the bookie gets to apply their percentage twice and then multiply it?

I do them occasionally for a bit of fun but theres no difference between a $100 multi of dogs and melbourne and just putting 100 on dogs then rolling that 146 profit onto dees at 1.85, in the end ur still risking the same amount. Only use for a multi is if game times overlap or if u think odds are gonna shorten beforehand so u lock in the better price

Right! If you win on the Dogs and then roll your original stake AND the profit into Melbourne, it's the same bet. I wouldn't back a $1.10 H2H team, but if I include them in a multi, odds are boosted by far more.

Right! If you win on the Dogs and then roll your original stake AND the profit into Melbourne, it's the same bet. I wouldn't back a $1.10 H2H team, but if I include them in a multi, odds are boosted by far more.
almost had some understanding in sentence one, but then didn't apply it in sentence 2

no difference tho (as far as i know)... by putting the 100 on the multi ur basically just having the book roll that 1st leg stake and profit over into the next leg for u, but locking urself into the other legs or copping juice for cashout/hedge if something happens. if either teams loses no matter which way u do it ur still only down the initial 100.

currently a dees, dogs and dons multi is paying 2.88, u can either lock urself in now with 100 on the 3 leg multi to payout 288 or u can just put 100 on dees to win 181, then that 181 on dogs to win at 1.45 to win 262.45 then that 262.45 on dons at 1.10 to win 288.75... either way ur gonna end up with -$100 or $188 profit. if the games are constantly overlapping or on at the same time and ur confident then prob fair enough cuz u wont have a chance to rebet. If ur doing a friday/sat/sat/sun afl multi or something like that theres no benefit (apart from possible promo payback) to the multi compared to just rolling profit into the next singles bet unless ur predicting one of the later legs odds to shorten drastically. u will just have more flexibility to change stakes/backout or anything by staying out of the multi and having late team changes burn u or s**t like that. + current afl lead promos would be usuable by rolling over in singles bets

If I put $100 on a $1.10 H2H, I get $110 back...however, if I take Port/GWS/GC/WB in a multi H2H, the odds are $4.70...adding Essendon H2H brings the odds to $5.17...an extra $47 for the Essendon win within the multi for a $100 stake, rather than $10 profit for the Essendon win H2H on a single $100 bet. Without Essendon in the multi, it's a $370 profit for a $100 outlay. With Essendon included in the multi, it's a $417 profit for a $100 outlay. As a previous poster has suggested, some games overlap, which negates the next bet if re-investing from the previous game. There's always the cash out option as well. I understand the concept of rolling stake and profit over into the next game and the next, and it's a valid argument, if you're able to do so. PS: Off topic: Leave the insults at the door, fellas. We're all here for the same reason, but too often, strips are torn off each other, and together with the name calling, well, it's getting really old. Everyone's money is their own, and at the end of the day, they can do what they want with it. Case in point, the bullying and passive/aggressive posts towards Oraz. Think before you type...we might all benefit if you do.

Right! If you win on the Dogs and then roll your original stake AND the profit into Melbourne, it's the same bet.

No it's not the same bet, because if you bet on both separately, you allow yourself the possibility of one of them losing yet you can still make money. With the multi, both have to win, and the bookie gives you oddasthat are less than the actual probability.

Don't get sucked into multis. Just don't do it. Multis are crazy bets for for mug punters, who don't understand numbers.

Last edited:
If I put $100 on a $1.10 H2H, I get $110 back...however, if I take Port/GWS/GC/WB in a multi H2H, the odds are $4.70...adding Essendon H2H brings the odds to $5.17...an extra $47 for the Essendon win within the multi for a $100 stake, rather than $10 profit for the Essendon win H2H on a single $100 bet. Without Essendon in the multi, it's a $370 profit for a $100 outlay. With Essendon included in the multi, it's a $417 profit for a $100 outlay. As a previous poster has suggested, some games overlap, which negates the next bet if re-investing from the previous game. There's always the cash out option as well. I understand the concept of rolling stake and profit over into the next game and the next, and it's a valid argument, if you're able to do so. PS: Off topic: Leave the insults at the door, fellas. We're all here for the same reason, but too often, strips are torn off each other, and together with the name calling, well, it's getting really old. Everyone's money is their own, and at the end of the day, they can do what they want with it. Case in point, the bullying and passive/aggressive posts towards Oraz. Think before you type...we might all benefit if you do.

Never do cash out.

Never do multis.

Cash out is one of the biggest rip offs in punting.

Using your example, would you place $470 on Essendon at $1.10?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best thing about multis is you can use them as a hedging tool to protect your other bets !

Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

simple example, take all the other sides of bets you make on the weekend and stick them in a multi, for a small outlay you are guaranteed to at least win something if all you bets fail.

That's only if all 4 of your individual bets fail (then the multi, which took the 4 opposites would win)

But what are the chances that ALL four of your single-bet selections would lose?

Crazy punting.

If I put $100 on a $1.10 H2H, I get $110 back...however, if I take Port/GWS/GC/WB in a multi H2H, the odds are $4.70...adding Essendon H2H brings the odds to $5.17...an extra $47 for the Essendon win within the multi for a $100 stake, rather than $10 profit for the Essendon win H2H on a single $100 bet.

its still just rolling that $470 from the 1st 4 singles wins into bombers at 1.10 to make that 517, the book is just doing the rolling for u while locking u in and holding ur would be profits, then taking their cut $ if u decide to cashout/hedge (which most ppl get tempted by late in multis) if u lost on the bombers leg ur still only really losing the initial 100 stake (not 470) same as u would lose by putting 100 on the multi. same outcome either way, just less control over everything while its taken in a multi... i make tennis multis on bet365 using their %bonus promo but atm i dont see much point on afl, especially not with the 24+ promo on atm.

watever floats ones boat tho, as long as ur making money in the long run. but they arent some huge odds boosting tool like they make it seem

That's only if all 4 of your individual bets fail (then the multi, which took the 4 opposites would win)

But what are the chances that ALL four of your single-bet selections would lose?

Crazy punting.

Crazy punting.
Not sure what the chances are without seeing the bet but like I said its a simple example of hedging if things don't go the way you think, at least you have a chance to make money even when your wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back