2017 AFL Womens Grand Final - Brisbane v Adelaide, Metricon Stadium, 12.55pm

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
One thing about history is that EVERYONE will remember who were the inaugural AFLW premiers

Could Erin Phillips win everything?
1. AFLW Grand Final BOG medal
2. AFLW Premiership Medallion
3. AFLW Brownlow equivalent

I have never been as emotionally invested as i have in this season ........just pioneering stuff that i am proud to have seen

How are things, all the way back in the stone age?

No doubt this post will also be deleted like my previous post giving clear and concise reasons why the league will not last past 3 seasons. The propaganda machine is already in full swing nobody can dare speak out of turn about the women's league for fear of hurting peoples feelings. Diddums and all that :p

The fact is ratings dwindled throughout the season, getting less than 200,000 viewers in prime time is a fail no matter how you spin it! Hence why 7 switched some of the matches to 7Mate. Once the AFL starts attempting to charge punters admission to watch the matches you will find live crowds will start reducing too.

You can say the skill level will improve over time, but how long is this going to take ? The last time this was brought up people said 3-5 years....... for the next generation of young girls to come through. You can't expect the public to wait that long for games to suddenly become skillful entertaining contests. People will not stick around to watch poor skills on display, fumbles . But good on them for displaying toughness with hip and shoulders and so forth.

No doubt this post will also be deleted like my previous post giving clear and concise reasons why the league will not last past 3 seasons. The propaganda machine is already in full swing nobody can dare speak out of turn about the women's league for fear of hurting peoples feelings. Diddums and all that :p

The fact is ratings dwindled throughout the season, getting less than 200,000 viewers in prime time is a fail no matter how you spin it! Hence why 7 switched some of the matches to 7Mate. Once the AFL starts attempting to charge punters admission to watch the matches you will find live crowds will start reducing too.

You can say the skill level will improve over time, but how long is this going to take ? The last time this was brought up people said 3-5 years....... for the next generation of young girls to come through. You can't expect the public to wait that long for games to suddenly become skillful entertaining contests. People will not stick around to watch poor skills on display, fumbles . But good on them for displaying toughness with hip and shoulders and so forth.
The prime time games were locked in preseason
And with only a gf and 7 rounds teams were quickly eliminated from realistic contention.
By rd 4 you knew one of Adelaide or Brisbane were in it and it would take a big collapse from either for anyone else to even have a shot
This made most other games dead rubbers.
Naturally ratings would drop

If they do expand to a top 4, then I feel there's no question that ratings will maintain strength all season.
Especially if the afl decide to have say a Friday night, Saturday afternoon, Sunday early and Sunday twilight fixture with the game of the round flexed into Saturday night.

Take rd 7 for example.
Who would watch gws vs bulldogs in a dead rubber besides their own teams fans and those fully committed to the league.
I doubt many would have. But make that Collingwood vs Adelaide where Adelaide has to win to make the gf, otherwise melbournes in. You now have Brisbane, Adelaide, Melbourne and Collingwood fans watching out of intrigue.

My point is this will grow from what it is. Ratings too just by introducing a top four.

May 20, 2001
Kufa, Iraq
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Banhammer Big House Under 70s

Has not the AFL standard improved over time?
The same will happen with AFLW.

Don't forget this comp has been brought forward by 3 years so it's collective skill base was lower than expected.
That said, I reckon some of the skills are fantastic and the commitment to the contest couldn't be questioned.

Today's crowd was actually bigger than Port Power v Brisbane 2012;)

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
No doubt this post will also be deleted like my previous post giving clear and concise reasons why the league will not last past 3 seasons. The propaganda machine is already in full swing nobody can dare speak out of turn about the women's league for fear of hurting peoples feelings. Diddums and all that :p.

Your post wasnt deleted because it was critical. it was deleted because its the game day thread for the grand final and we've been clear since round 1 that this wasnt acceptable. There are other threads for this discussion.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

The season averaged out to better than any season of the WBBL which i havent seen you posting about.

The season averaged out to better than any season of the WBBL which i havent seen you posting about.

Changing the goal posts slightly, I can understand being beaten by Crocodile Dundee.... but to get less ratings than Crocodile Dundee 2... WHY ? GOD WHY ? :(

Curling would get better ratings than the WBBL, nobody cares about women's cricket.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Changing the goal posts slightly, I can understand being beaten by Crocodile Dundee.... but to get less ratings than Crocodile Dundee 2... WHY ? GOD WHY ? :(

Curling would get better ratings than the WBBL, nobody cares about women's cricket.

Its not changing the goal posts at all, its the goal posts there are. The competition was rushed out in response to the WBBL coming, its literally the only other major sport with a comparable audience and tv arrangement, not to mention that like the AFL Womens competition, the WBBL also enjoys massive financial backing and support only matched by the AFL. It is absolutely the correct thing to be benchmarked against.

Now further posts on this can go in other threads. NOT THE AFLW GF GAMEDAY thread.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Sounds like a job for Chief

Wouldnt hurt if you supply the graphic :p
Actually maybe a W like this, that way other club fans can still think it stands for Wan... :p

Maybe this ;)

a5f4b831083a938dfecb98e585b5df97

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
Phillips is a superstar but some of the free kicks she wins annoys me to the no end. Every Adelaide game I've watched this season she always seems to get a in the back free by collapsing to the ground, or god forbid I say this as a Bulldogs supporter, ducking and winning high free kicks.

yeah she definitely has a Wanganeen-esque ability to draw free kicks

bugs me a little bit too - it's the Port Adelaide in her haha

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
panthers, ukraine & broncos

It's the basketball, where they are often trained to do that if you are a certain size. It's really hard to undo 10 years of that type of training. That same basketball though has taught her how to use her body best in one on ones and her ability to move her opponent out of the way with just a little bump is so good.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Has not the AFL standard improved over time?
The same will happen with AFLW.

Don't forget this comp has been brought forward by 3 years so it's collective skill base was lower than expected.
That said, I reckon some of the skills are fantastic and the commitment to the contest couldn't be questioned.

Today's crowd was actually bigger than Port Power v Brisbane 2012;)
Totally agree, the skills even throughout the season improved dramatically ......gameplans evolved, there were more chains of handballs with players linking better with each game.

I loved the old fashioned positional play and match ups, that people have complained about the lack-off with the mens game ........every game was characterized by extreme competitiveness from start to finish

Remember these girls still work full-time jobs during the week, they're not full-time footballers yet

Next season will be better again, as all clubs know the benchmark .....there will be a greater emphasis on skills by clubs ......better players added

My only hope is the AFL improves the product .....not watering the product down in the short term, by adding more clubs

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide

If you watch enough footy, you copy AFL players like Selwood ......watch under 9 kids and iam sure you'll see the kids trying to replicate their heroes

No difference with the women

Back