2017 AFL Womens Grand Final - Brisbane v Adelaide, Metricon Stadium, 12.55pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I loved seeing the AFLW GF, but I didn't love watching it. The general skills and athleticism on show was fairly poor compared to the guys. This code has a long way to go to reach a level similar to the guys, and that's understandable as this is the first real crack at professional women's football. I hope going forward the AFL can put more money into the development of these players to lift them from what is basically an amateurish standard. If they don't, the novelty of it will wear off and the public support will disappear.

I loved seeing the AFLW GF, but I didn't love watching it. The general skills and athleticism on show was fairly poor compared to the guys. This code has a long way to go to reach a level similar to the guys, and that's understandable as this is the first real crack at professional women's football. I hope going forward the AFL can put more money into the development of these players to lift them from what is basically an amateurish standard. If they don't, the novelty of it will wear off and the public support will disappear.
You and others simply don't get it ......first season of mens was worse , 100+ years ago ......yet you expect a first year womens league to be of a standard equal to a mature, refined, and totally 100+ mens league :rolleyes: .....give me a freakin break

You do realise, that all these girls are part-time footballers .....not full time professionals like the men training everyday

Start to get real about expectations and comparisons

Saw most of the game and enjoyed it, someone needs to have a word with Taylor Harris IMO, stop getting to the ball second and throwing yourself dramatically around and stay on your feet, she would be much better value.

She has the ability, she gives me the impression it is all about her, it is not, it is a team game, however she is just a kid and will improve, had she had a decent game Brisbane would have won.

You and others simply don't get it ......first season of mens was worse , 100+ years ago ......yet you expect a first year womens league to be of a standard equal to a mature, refined, and totally 100+ mens league :rolleyes: .....give me a freakin break
No you don't get it and you can't read. :rolleyes:

I said it's quite understandable why the women are amateurish at this stage as they haven't had the time and development invested into them to make great inroads into this yet. I expect it will change and the overall skill and athleticism of the women will improve greatly in the years to come. You just read my post with a preconceived notion that I was bashing the comp due to it's current form, when I wasn't. I was just being realistic. The spectacle of the game on Saturday wasn't great, but what was great was that women are finally getting the opportunity to play AFL. I hope it continues forever.

Love the idea of a ring rather than a medallion .....hope they do the same for the mens Grand Final
They get both (see my avatar for the medallion). The rings will be given to them at a special ceremony yet to be announced. (Guess they've got to do measurements and make them first).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course the standard isn't great, but the standard isn't the point. The reason why people are going to AFLW is because they want to be a part of it - that (especially for girls and young women) it's inspiring and aspirational for them.

With professionalism, the standard will certainly come. Consider how much skills like kicking and close-quarters handball have improved since the game went full-time professional in the early 90s. As the pool of young girls playing starts to grow, and as they start getting more time and resources to help them play footy, the standard will get better.

Adelaide are happy as they haven't had much sporting success over the years. Anything is better than nothing
Like going to a buffet and getting excited over potato chips and everyone else is eating steak

Of course the standard isn't great, but the standard isn't the point. The reason why people are going to AFLW is because they want to be a part of it - that (especially for girls and young women) it's inspiring and aspirational for them.

With professionalism, the standard will certainly come. Consider how much skills like kicking and close-quarters handball have improved since the game went full-time professional in the early 90s. As the pool of young girls playing starts to grow, and as they start getting more time and resources to help them play footy, the standard will get better.

I looked past the skill level and just enjoyed the contest. I loved the fact that it was just pure footy. The girls were allowed to just play the game. They crashed into contests. They flew for their marks. It was just footy the way it was meant to be played. I hope the coaches leave it this way and don't kill the spectacle through strategy.

To be honest I don't even mind that the skills are a bit off. Better skills hasn't really made the men's game any better. Better skills in men's footy and coaching strategies has meant that they play keepings off and circle work.

Keep it pure I say. Back your players and kick to contests. Just let the girls play.

I looked past the skill level and just enjoyed the contest. I loved the fact that it was just pure footy. The girls were allowed to just play the game. They crashed into contests. They flew for their marks. It was just footy the way it was meant to be played. I hope the coaches leave it this way and don't kill the spectacle through strategy.

To be honest I don't even mind that the skills are a bit off. Better skills hasn't really made the men's game any better. Better skills in men's footy and coaching strategies has meant that they play keepings off and circle work.

Keep it pure I say. Back your players and kick to contests. Just let the girls play.
You nailed it -great summary of what made the AFLW so enjoyable.
I only saw 3 kicking-backwards tactics, hopefully it doesn't become common in the AFLW.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back