List Mgmt. 2017 AFLW Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

We have some good forwards (Hope, D'Arcy, Garner) however with the way we just bomb it long we really need a pack marking type forward instead of the lead up types we have. I haven't seen enough of Molloy to know whether or not she fits that type, but from what I've read it seems she's similar to our existing group. A change of game plan could potentially address our forward issues and if we play to the strengths of our forwards they would be a lot more dangerous. The other areas of need are quick mids who kick the ball long (a big athletic type would be ideal) and with Stevens' departure a key back.
Both Molloy and Huntington can go run through the middle. Molloy has the basketballers awareness in traffic, and Huntington is a bit of a unit, big, fast and a good kick.

I think the Dogs take Huntington as a foil to Brennan. One closer to goal, one pushing up as a high half forward will make them dangerous.

That leaves you with Molloy, and the advantage of her is, she has only had about 18 months of serious footy, so she could have an outrageous ceiling with access to good coaching.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Relative draft order of the four Victorian clubs amongst themselves ...

WB: 1,3,6,10,14,18
Carlton:7,15,16,20
Coll: 2,5,8,11,12,19
Melb: 4,9,13,17,

Gee, WB will have a strong draft position, followed by us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty ordinary of the AFL to wait until this late to make a decision on Mouncey.

Regardless of whether the decision is right or wrong, there was no reason it needed to wait until the last possible moment, other than to deny her the chance to appeal.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing who we draft

Relative draft order of the four Victorian clubs amongst themselves ...

WB: 1,3,6,10,14,18
Carlton:7,15,16,20
Coll: 2,5,8,11,12,19
Melb: 4,9,13,17,

Gee, WB will have a strong draft position, followed by us.

I wish the boys had picks that good. Welcome to Collingwood LDU, Coffield, Fogarty, Bonar, Balta and Petty. BAM!

Interesting to consider that the Victorian draft will only take 20 players this year.

Clubs have each retained around 22 players from last year (x 4 clubs = 88 players)

So (very roughly) the 88th best available player last year is considered better than the 21st best available player this year. That difference is obviously accounted for by the women only getting their first opportunity last year. Plus the benefit of having a year in the AFLW system.

Clubs are taking different approaches to this. Carlton and Melbourne obviously favour experience over going to the draft (only taking 4 draft picks each)

By contrast Collingwood and WB seem to think the draft goes deeper than their old list did.

Interesting to consider that the Victorian draft will only take 20 players this year.

Clubs have each retained around 22 players from last year (x 4 clubs = 88 players)

So (very roughly) the 88th best available player last year is considered better than the 21st best available player this year. That difference is obviously accounted for by the women only getting their first opportunity last year. Plus the benefit of having a year in the AFLW system.

Clubs are taking different approaches to this. Carlton and Melbourne obviously favour experience over going to the draft (only taking 4 draft picks each)

By contrast Collingwood and WB seem to think the draft goes deeper than their old list did.
In terms of how clubs are approaching the draft Carlton look to be loading up for a crack at the flag having traded in Stevens and Harris whereas Melbourne and our strategies are shaped by last years draft.

Melbourne drafted young last year and we drafted experience.

Obviously Melbourne are happy with who they have and we seem to be rebalancing our list after the immediate/short term approach didn't work last year.

Pretty ordinary of the AFL to wait until this late to make a decision on Mouncey.

Regardless of whether the decision is right or wrong, there was no reason it needed to wait until the last possible moment, other than to deny her the chance to appeal.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing who we draft
The decision was made on Friday with Mouncey given the chance to make a further submission over the weekend in response. Her response was submitted Monday and considered before yesterday's announcement.

Last minute yes, but she was given a chance to reply and seems happy with the process.

I hope Dogs take Izzy as Chloe is a mad Pies fan. She's really laid back and hopes to fall to the Pies. As I said in the women's forum, I get the feeling we've somewhat committed to her, just depending on what the Dogs do. Apparently Huntington was coached by the Dogs' coach a while back so there's a link there. I expect Conti to go "pick 3" (Vic draft) with probably Guttridge to the Dees, but can't be sure on that one.

My tip: Huntington, Molloy, Conti.

Sounds like we'll be very happy with Huntington or Malloy. I'm hoping for Malloy cause she's a Pies fan!

The other scenario floated in The Age is that the Dogs take Conti at 1 leaving us the choice between Huntington or Malloy. Its highly unlikely but I wonder who we'd take if that happened.

I reckon the Blues approach is probably smarter than ours given we'll probably be forced to give up players we draft this year to expansion clubs if not in 2019 in 2020. Unless they make players under 21 protected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back