rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
This may be a silly question but what does getting awarded life membership actually get
Is it just a title or does it grant tangible benifits?

Not a silly question at all Muddlemoose.
I don't have the exact wording in front of me but it is something like:
Life Membership receive a medallion/certificate, and entitles the player to a membership each year which they don't have to pay for.
(of course they can still purchase more memberships if they wish)

Not a silly question at all Muddlemoose.
I don't have the exact wording in front of me but it is something like:
Life Membership receive a medallion/certificate, and entitles the player to a membership each year which they don't have to pay for.
(of course they can still purchase more memberships if they wish)

Thanks for that mate I figured it was something along these lines
I was just trying to work out the reluctance of awarding life memberships to all senior listed players thinking it was a large financial outlay

But I like the idea of rewarding long serving players/ premieres with this honour

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I was just trying to work out the reluctance of awarding life memberships to all senior listed players thinking it was a large financial outlay

But I like the idea of rewarding long serving players/ premieres with this honour

I think an objection to the proposal would be less around financial and more around whether a life membership should be awarded if you play in a handful of games, rather than a lengthy contribution to the club.

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
With 11 premierships and most of those from before an interchange bench, we're talking only 200 players in our history who would be eligible for life membership from winning a flag.
Not sure why you would want to hold life membership back from anyone who helped us win a premiership as the whole purpose of the club existing is to try and win them.

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
With 11 premierships and most of those from before an interchange bench, we're talking only 200 players in our history who would be eligible for life membership from winning a flag.
Not sure why you would want to hold life membership back from anyone who helped us win a premiership as the whole purpose of the club existing is to try and win them.

I think a counter-argument to that could be that Life Membership has previously been for a person's contribution over a long period of time with the club (20 years volunteer / 150 games/ 10 years player / 10 years board), not for playing in a premiership match.
If you reach the ultimate goal in the sport and play in a premiership you are already rewarded with a premiership medal, the club receive the cup, and you are forever known as a premiership player.

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
For those who maybe unaware, the club has confirmed to me that the AGM vote is for BOTH the 5% threshold change AND the life membership - premiership change.
You CAN'T vote no for one, or yes for the other (or vice versa).

Your one vote encapsulates BOTH topics.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
For those who maybe unaware, the club has confirmed to me that the AGM vote is for BOTH the 5% threshold change AND the life membership - premiership change.
You CAN'T vote no for one, or yes for the other (or vice versa).

Your one vote encapsulates BOTH topics.
Thanks Rhett, I didn’t pick up on that.
Interesting that they have made it the one resolution.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,

i like the idea that a player who played in the seniors during a premiership year is a life member, they did contribute during the year

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
Thanks Rhett, I didn’t pick up on that.
Interesting that they have made it the one resolution.
I think that is a poor resolution and to be quite frank they are two separate issues, disappointed in the board again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
08B41065-661B-4B56-943F-C68AB554867B.jpeg
Spotted in the crowd, could there be a challenge to the board???!!!!

Back