10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
http://www.afc.com.au/news/2017-08-30/crow-kids-among-elite

Fellow 2017 All Australian Eddie Betts was full of praise for Laird and Crouch.

He even suggested the latter could be a contender for another major award in the coming weeks.

“I’m very proud of the both of them,” Betts said.

“Matty Crouch is an absolute superstar ball magnet. He knows where to run and is very clean.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a smoky for the Brownlow.”

Laird follows backline teammates and good friends Daniel Talia and Brodie Smith in receiving an All Australian blazer.

Smith’s helpful advice to Laird before Wednesday night was not to “trip” walking on stage.

“Maybe, if ‘Smithy’ annoys me a little bit I can sort of match him now!” Laird said.

“He’s always had that (All Australian) over me, so it’s nice to have that back on him.”

Matt Crouch is only 69 games into his AFL career.
The left-footer cemented his spot last year and has quickly elevated himself to the game’s elite.
In his fourth season, Crouch is averaging 33 disposals, five tackles and six clearances.
He was second for in the League for total disposals (726) in the minor round behind another All Australian Tom Mitchell (787).
Crouch also finished top 10 in the competition for contested possessions (294), hard-ball gets (130), loose-ball gets (97) and handball receives (350) in the home and away season.
He was the second-youngest of the 2017 All Australian crop behind Essendon's Zach Merrett (21).
“I didn’t think I’d make All Australian, but it’s exciting just that I got in … and to be in the team as well as ‘Lairdy’ and Eddie is very good,” Crouch said.
“My goal was just to improve on the season I had last year. My fitness has improved a fair bit. Playing more games and just getting experience out there, you build a lot of confidence.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Brilliant reward for Crouch and Laird. Laird should have been there last year and has been rightly rewarded after another excellent season. Matt Crouch was fortunate to catch everyone's eye at the right time of the season and didn't have to go through the apprentice year so many others do.

Betts in again, as usual. It's starting to get boring now, Betts :p

Think the AA selections were right re: Crows players. Sloane and Jacobs have an argument but I don't think either were robbed.

subaru

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bay 13: Flog of the Year
Nov 14, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ryder is in there because most former players, commentators, afl coaches, actually almost everyone thinks he should be there.

Be a sport and remind us how he went against Jacobs again , eh?
How did he go up against Kruezer and Mumford ? And against Gawn -any good ?

I'm sure you can back up your own opinion ....

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
Congratulations to Laird and Matty Crouch of their first selection as an All Australian. Both well truly deserved this honour. As for Betts, well what can you say. Listening to KB expressing his regard for Betts was just great.

Did feel for Jacobs and by the sounds of things it was a very close decision between him and Ryder. I still think that Lynch is grossly underestimated but it would have been tough to slot him in...although I could have easily kicked Gray out and found a slot for Lynch.....but I think Gray was a deserved winner as well.

Feel the arguments for the others guys would have been difficult although I would have loved Sloaney in the team. Perhaps next year.

Simmo28

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2014
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Brilliant reward for Crouch and Laird. Laird should have been there last year and has been rightly rewarded after another excellent season. Matt Crouch was fortunate to catch everyone's eye at the right time of the season and didn't have to go through the apprentice year so many others do.

Betts in again, as usual. It's starting to get boring now, Betts :p

Think the AA selections were right re: Crows players. Sloane and Jacobs have an argument but I don't think either were robbed.

Sloane was right call but I think Sauce was robbed, clearly the most consistent ruck this year. His ground work plus ruck exceeds all others IMO. But that's AA for you.

MCrouch 2017 Brownlow Winner

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Well done to te lads Lairdy, Betts and M. Crouch, much deserved selection

I thought that Tex was unlucky as he is a true CHF and has had more scoreboard influence than any other player in the Comp

Sauce again very unlucky, not much between his and Ryder's ruck work however I had Sauce more influential around the ground

Lynch is always going to find it hard to make it with so many mids getting selected in HF and bench roles, Sloaney has had to many quiet games, Lever had some very good games however got a little pumped up by the media IMO.

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Matt Crouch was destined to be a star. What was the original knock in his game that saw him slip into the 20's - his disposal? We are so lucky to have the Crouch brothers at the club - we should make ntrabbit their butler.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Matt Crouch was destined to be a star. What was the original knock in his game that saw him slip into the 20's - his disposal? We are so lucky to have the Crouch brothers at the club - we should make ntrabbit their butler.
His speed was a knock.
Also the "has no real weapon" thing got him. But a natural footballer is a natural footballer.

PrideOf

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 17, 2001
Here, obviously
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AFC
His speed was a knock.
Also the "has no real weapon" thing got him. But a natural footballer is a natural footballer.

I've said it since we got Mrouch - he's our Sam Mitchell. Same knocks on Sam - no speed, no weapons, not an athlete. But you'd kill to have him distributing the ball out.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Did anyone honestly think Matt would be AA before Brad?
Brad has to be pissed right now. Hopefully he comes out in the finals like a man with a point to prove.
Why would he be pissed? If my brother was AA I'd be pretty bloody happy for him, especially when I was never a chance due to missing 5-6 games due to injuries.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Why would he be pissed? If my brother was AA I'd be pretty bloody happy for him, especially when I was never a chance due to missing 5-6 games due to injuries.
They are very competitive. I expect Matt to be wearing that jacket around the house a bit to rub it in.

I am tipping Brad to have a monster Finals series and 2018 after a big preseason.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back