Opinion 2017 Analysis

Remove this Banner Ad

JimmySwan

Team Captain
Jul 8, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Unlike most other Sydney supporters and the media alike I am very happy with our football club going forward and in no way shape or form writing off Longmire. This club has made me so proud in the past with tough wins away on the road, being the underdogs and always fighting till the end, premierships, fighting for flags albeit not winning the last couple I still think we are in great hands and I love the look of our list going forward.

I am backing Longmire to the hilt. The guy is a gun coach. Only have to look at his overall record.

We as a club are the 3rd youngest list in the comp. Longmire and Harley presented to the board and outlined this; so as a football club we are in a transition phase.

We have had no continuity in our side this year. Injuries, form, and as club we are notorious for starting slow.

Remember 2014? We lost to GWS and Collingwood in Round 1 and 2. We then got pumped by North at the SCG by 43 points. We still however went on to make the Grand Final, albeit lose it.

This year we haven't had a settled 22 by any means and have had blokes either been injured, not finding their form early due to the start of the season, interrupted pre-seasons and a lot of young blokes being debuted.

In 2016 we debuted the most amount of youngsters in the comp and still made the Grand Final.

We lost Mitchell who was our best contested and clearance midfielder. This had impacted on our depth. As well as losing Heeney before round 1. You add Heeney and Mitchell into Round 1 and it's a different story.

Parker and Hannebery have been down but yesterday I think they got back to some of their footy we know they can play.

Bottom line is I am not worried one bit about this year and everything happens for a reason.

Even if this year is a write off, going forward I am so bloody excited for our great club.

Our transition phase which every club goes through will happen quicker then expected.

Florent, Newman, Melican, Aliir, Papley, Heeney, Mills, Jones, Lloyd, Parker, Hannebery, Rohan and a top 10 draft pick this year if we miss the eight. If we can have another year of our youngsters getting more experience and a big pre-season with blokes bouncing back for round 1 we will be back.

I'm excited...

Unlike most other Sydney supporters and the media alike I am very happy with our football club going forward and in no way shape or form writing off Longmire. This club has made me so proud in the past with tough wins away on the road, being the underdogs and always fighting till the end, premierships, fighting for flags albeit not winning the last couple I still think we are in great hands and I love the look of our list going forward.

I am backing Longmire to the hilt. The guy is a gun coach. Only have to look at his overall record.

We as a club are the 3rd youngest list in the comp. Longmire and Harley presented to the board and outlined this; so as a football club we are in a transition phase.

We have had no continuity in our side this year. Injuries, form, and as club we are notorious for starting slow.

Remember 2014? We lost to GWS and Collingwood in Round 1 and 2. We then got pumped by North at the SCG by 43 points. We still however went on to make the Grand Final, albeit lose it.

This year we haven't had a settled 22 by any means and have had blokes either been injured, not finding their form early due to the start of the season, interrupted pre-seasons and a lot of young blokes being debuted.

In 2016 we debuted the most amount of youngsters in the comp and still made the Grand Final.

We lost Mitchell who was our best contested and clearance midfielder. This had impacted on our depth. As well as losing Heeney before round 1. You add Heeney and Mitchell into Round 1 and it's a different story.

Parker and Hannebery have been down but yesterday I think they got back to some of their footy we know they can play.

Bottom line is I am not worried one bit about this year and everything happens for a reason.

Even if this year is a write off, going forward I am so bloody excited for our great club.

Our transition phase which every club goes through will happen quicker then expected.

Florent, Newman, Melican, Aliir, Papley, Heeney, Mills, Jones, Lloyd, Parker, Hannebery, Rohan and a top 10 draft pick this year if we miss the eight. If we can have another year of our youngsters getting more experience and a big pre-season with blokes bouncing back for round 1 we will be back.

I'm excited...
Did you steal my brain & thoughts then create an alias and post exactly what I was thinking??

Yes. I believe you did. :thumbsu:

Whilst what you're saying is true, the biggest disappointment for me is that it's a wasted year for a generational talent who's probably got 2 top shelf years left.

2 GFs and what should be nearly 300 goals in 4 years is a very tidy return but we all had flags in our eyes when we brought him in and pissing away another chance is disappointing.

You can't play in a GF every year but missing finals altogether with this list would be a criminal offence, let alone a sackable one.

Last edited:

Nice to see a thread with some positivity. I've been as disappointed as anyone to have to readjust my expectations for season 2017 (at the start of the year I expected a slight drop-off but nothing like this), but I'm not loving some of the comments on autopsy threads about how pathetic some of players are or how Longmire needs to go. Thank goodness footy clubs aren't as reactive as some on bigfooty are :eek:

The overwhelming positive out of a very disappointing 0-6 start is how good some of our kids are, and the fact that we're getting some games into them under trying conditions to see what they're made of. Looking forward to seeing how they come on.

Yep. We'll bounce back..

We've been spoilt for over a decade now. I expected a drop off last year with the introduction of all those kids but we made another bloody GF!! At some point though we surely all knew deep down that this kind of season was coming sooner rather than later. You can't keep getting to the peak year after year & it not take it's toll. Shame we didn't make it count like we knew we could have... but that's life.

Going to take this year as a year "off" with 2018 in view as the bounce back... That's a really really quick turn around but think we can do it. We've got the talent. Just need to get some games into the group & re-build that fire & passion again.

Backs against the wall is more our style anyway. Minor premier favourites isn't becoming of us IMO... I'm looking forward to seeing our club lift against the odds again.

Some seriously good years ahead if we can get this transition & playing list right.

Nice post mate. In total agreement with you even though i think yesterday was a total debacle.

Like ive said before west coast won the spoon in 2010, they then played in a prelim the next year.

Good to see some other bloods on board!

I bloody love this football club. As a supporter I have hardly ever been disappointed with our effort and I feel spoilt as a supporter watching our club over the past decade.

That's why I'm positive moving forwards. We have had to stagnate at some point in time.

I went yesterday and the Carlton supporters were UNBEARABLE. Honestly that supporter base. Good on you Carlton. Talk about graciousness in defeat.

I was walking out and this mob were giving it to me telling me to go home...are you kidding me? Where has your mob been for 15 years? Out of the wilderness and an absolute rabble.

What a joke that football club is. How many first round draft picks this cheating mob have been given and they actually won a game yesterday :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Joke of a club.

Stages of grief. Posters choose your current status.

In the end whether were bargaining, in denial, angry, or in acceptance we all love the club and will be back in numbers to support the club through thick and thin.

Stages of grief. Posters choose your current status.

In the end whether were bargaining, in denial, angry, or in acceptance we all love the club and will be back in numbers to support the club through thick and thin.

Exactly right :)

Fantastic stuff

All these kids will kick in whilst our highest paid player is a 34 year old pensioner

This club is stuffed for a few years look at the contracts

I think people are delusional if they think its a quick turn

Some massive mistakes have been made and its showing now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we were getting belted by 12+ goals on a regular basis you would have something to worry about it.

Not worried, it is what it is, but if you expect this to be a blip then you may be in for a world of suffering.

We have really played some average sides, we played GWS missing a few and at home and the dogs werent in great form

Our other losses, port at home, collingwood carlton just lol

West coast away is tough

But geez if we are taking solace in not being flogged what a low bar we are setting.

Lets not forget Horse coaches to limit the damage and keep it low scoring

Not worried, it is what it is, but if you expect this to be a blip then you may be in for a world of suffering.

We have really played some average sides, we played GWS missing a few and at home and the dogs werent in great form

Our other losses, port at home, collingwood carlton just lol

West coast away is tough

But geez if we are taking solace in not being flogged what a low bar we are setting.

Lets not forget Horse coaches to limit the damage and keep it low scoring
World of pain? Where in our second year into a renovation of the list. We've lost 4 games to teams in the 8.

You would prefer to be flogged? If that was the case the list would need a complete overhaul. Which it doesn't so yes there is solace in the list changes already made.

World of pain? Where in our second year into a renovation of the list. We've lost 4 games to teams in the 8.

You would prefer to be flogged? If that was the case the list would need a complete overhaul. Which it doesn't so yes there is solace in the list changes already made.

'Id prefer to be winning games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back