2017 ATP Tour - Masters/500/250

Remove this Banner Ad

5 in a row against him is pretty good after being dominated for so long even if helped by no clay court matches. I think Feds chances will hinge on the courts being fast again.

Definitely.

I'm surmising here but I suspect he has a plan til Jan 2019 and no further. I suspect he hopes he can remain really competitive through Melbourne 2019 and then take it from there and competitive depends on fast courts

Melbourne '18, Wimbledon and Flushing Meadows with the fast court masters as prep and very little else besides his routine grass warm up Weber and perhaps Basel '18. All a bonus if he wins.

I suspect he realises that coming back rising 38 after taking the 2019 clay season off would be just too much even for him. He is going to be ultra picky and though we are obsessed with Fed V Nadal ( which fan isn't? ) he is not. he wants those slams no matter who he beats.

We are never going to see him on clay again partly because of Rafa but mostly because he knows he cannot win on it at his age.

What happened to his knee? Nadal wasnt at his best, making some odd errors.
Well done to Federer. Good win.

Tough to gauge on that.

On Fed not playing clay

Edit: hopefully this doesn't start the whole Fedal argument again though that only seems to happens at Grand Slams. funny that. I think everyone else appreciates them for how good they are.

... it's impossible to beat Nadal on clay, he is too good there!

The fast courts are perfect for Federer's game. It will be interesting to see what happens next year especially if Murray, Novak and Stan return.

It'll be interesting but personally I think Novak is finished.

What really interests me is Shapo. He could be a monster.

... it's impossible to beat Nadal on clay, he is too good there!

The fast courts are perfect for Federer's game. It will be interesting to see what happens next year especially if Murray, Novak and Stan return.
The thing is that Fedal were by far the best players on tour before Novak/Andy/Stan got injured. Fedal should slow down due to age(SHOULD), but you can say the same thing about Andy/Novak.
It'll be interesting but personally I think Novak is finished.

What really interests me is Shapo. He could be a monster.
Agreed. I think Shapo/Sasha/Nick..(perhaps) they will be the ones to step up. We are nearly there.

Not sure what's happened to Tsonga, quiet year

He became a father earlier in the year so maybe his mind has been elsewhere. He has struggled with injuries as well.

He has won 3 titles tho: 1 x 500 (Rotterdam) and 2 x 250's (Marseilles and Lyon).

Greek sensation, Tsitsipas, gets his 1st top 10 scalp in Goffin and makes his 1st ATP SF. He plays Schwartzman next and the winner will play the winner of Bemelmans and Tsonga.

A slow burn to make the top 100 compared with e.g. Shapavalov but it's great to finally see the results. Spent alot of time milling about between Challengers and Qualifying for GS and ATP Tourneys this year. Has qualified for the last 5 ATP events he's played :eek:

Basel indoor tournament on at the moment. Federer should breeze through and win the lot. Couple of close matchups tonight.
Paire v Johnson
Cilic v Verdasco

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goffin despatched with ease by Federer.

Goffin a classic example of a man who has "risen without trace" to the top 10.

Never played a Masters 1,000 final. Never played a slam Semi final and in line for a top 8 finish !!!!

Yeah good honest player but simply doesn't have the weapons to be a threat to any of the top tier players.

Will Federer play the Paris Masters so he has an outside chance of finishing the year ranked no 1 ?

Well he has sailed into the final at Basel with only a slight hiccup in the quarters so its not as if he has many hours in his legs.

Are the courts at Paris fast? If so then a very winnable masters event might prove too good an opportunity to turn down.

Well he has sailed into the final at Basel with only a slight hiccup in the quarters so its not as if he has many hours in his legs.

Are the courts at Paris fast? If so then a very winnable masters event might prove too good an opportunity to turn down.

I think Fed should just bite the bullet and play it, its likely his final chance to finish a year as world no 1 & he'd have to win Paris and the WTF to do it.

Obviously, he was more focused on his family this year but I really missed watching him play tennis. Good to see him back.
Has been a bizarre year for him. You'd be tempted to call it a terrible year but if he wins here he's had five titles this season - the most he has ever had. Has flopped at the big tournaments but has strung together some purple patches.

Has been a bizarre year for him. You'd be tempted to call it a terrible year but if he wins here he's had five titles this season - the most he has ever had. Has flopped at the big tournaments but has strung together some purple patches.

It's amazing to hear he was won five titles this year, I thought he would've take the year off or something. It's a shame he was missing in the major titles. Looking forward to his 2018 season

I think Fed should just bite the bullet and play it, its likely his final chance to finish a year as world no 1 & he'd have to win Paris and the WTF to do it.
I reckon what's slightly putting Fed off bothering to play is, even if he wins both tournaments he still has to rely on Rafa to bomb out early in Paris or London to still have chance at it.

On U FEEL PRIME using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back