2017 Aussie Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

The tournament well known as the absolute weakest 250 on the entire ATP Tour, of course, though Newport's setting at the International Tennis Hall of Fame is not something I'd want to lose.

Still a great effort from Matty. He is a 50-100 player at his best, when he doesn't lapse into useless pushing, so it is nice to see his ranking steadily approaching its natural level again.

Whatever happened to the mad dog?
Still playing Challengers. His Challenger main draw record since March:
  • Defeated Kento Takeuchi (unranked at the time) 6-3 7-5
  • Lost to Matteo Berrettini (unranked at the time) 6-7 2-6
  • Lost to Maximilian Materer (#143) 3-6 0-3 RET
  • Lost to Akira Santillan (#191) 1-6 6-3 6-7
  • Lost to Ruben Bemelmans (#132) 1-6 6-7
  • Lost to Mitchell Krueger (#189) 4-6 2-6
Ranked #390.

Still playing Challengers. His Challenger main draw record since March:
  • Defeated Kento Takeuchi (unranked at the time) 6-3 7-5
  • Lost to Matteo Berrettini (unranked at the time) 6-7 2-6
  • Lost to Maximilian Materer (#143) 3-6 0-3 RET
  • Lost to Akira Santillan (#191) 1-6 6-3 6-7
  • Lost to Ruben Bemelmans (#132) 1-6 6-7
  • Lost to Mitchell Krueger (#189) 4-6 2-6
Ranked #390.
Probably will appear out of nowhere for the aus open and make 2nd round

Ebden semi final being broadcast live on Fox Sports early Sunday morning.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Matt Ebden wins his semi final!
Into the final now against Isner.
Broadcast live on Fox Sports 505 from 5am Monday morning.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know what? I much, much prefer the tennis board when we aren't on Grand Slams, it gets so tedious when all of the people that come in for the Aus Open and Wimbledon start sprouting their uneducated opinions, I much prefer it when we aren't in a Grand Slam period.

Me too lol It's quieter and friendlier around here now. I dont mind if other people join the tennis thread but during the Grand Slams I always find we end up having the same debates eg: women's tennis is boring, everyone should watch or support Federer and the top 3 etc. Whereas, I like watching and following other tennis players, and generally around here we talk about tennis on a weekly basis.

Not just limited to the Tennis board unfortunately; happens everywhere with the big games/tournaments. Basketball board is one of my favourites year-round, but at Finals time, forget about it...

Good job Matty, now will give himself a shot making the top 100 by the end of the year now, didn't think that was in him personally. He should get spanked by Isner but great week.

Did anyone watch Tomic's interview on ch7? I missed it , now I am reading some of the comments. Very honest interview

Tomic addressed some of the biggest controversies of his career, including his father John’s infamous 2013 assault of former hitting partner Thomas Drouet in Madrid. He claimed his father had told him the incident was sparked by Drouet spitting in his father’s face and claimed “If someone did that to me, I would have done the same thing”.

Tomic also took aim at former Davis Cup captain and Australian tennis great Pat Rafter, whom he’s endured a rocky relationship with.

“Pat’s said a lot of bad things about me throughout my career,” Tomic said.

“He’s perceived as a nice guy ... this image. People don’t know him He’s not that much of a nice guy. He likes to put on a show.”

Tomic said he was happy with his tennis achievements to date, despite a stunning self assessment that he’d only worked hard enough to achieve 50 per cent of his potential, but insisted he’d never deliberately ‘tanked’.

“I don’t tank. in myself, about what the score is. I get very angry, in myself, and I forget about who I’m playing. Even though I’m on the tennis court, I think about different things.”

Tomic maintained he would continue going about tennis “as a job” but appeared to get emotional when he was shown footage of himself as a child declaring he loved tennis “from the ground to the sky. It’s my soul.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/tennis...s/news-story/b6bea857e49a32a0c7cbf37587484bd1

That was a candid interview by tomic (is on the sunday night website). I hope he finds a bit of inner peace, he does seem like he was a bit happier in that interview than in previous times. I only have experience from australian media and dealing with us as a country but do other countries dig there foot into sports players, coaches etc as much as we do?

Question for those with a better memory than me, with Ebden making a 250 final who are Australia's last 5 male 250 finalists?

Kyrgios, Hewitt, Tomic self evident.

Before then?

Guccione in Adelaide against Djokovic when that was a 250? Who else?

Stosur is being interviewed on the Sen tennis shoe now. She comes across so well, interesting to listen how she has grown to love the clay, her thoughts on the sport and kids playing it, who she enjoys to watch.

Question for those with a better memory than me, with Ebden making a 250 final who are Australia's last 5 male 250 finalists?

Kyrgios, Hewitt, Tomic self evident.

Before then?

Guccione in Adelaide against Djokovic when that was a 250? Who else?
Probably Luczak

Remove this Banner Ad

Back