2017 Aussie Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone know what the cutoff point is for the mens MD this year? My man Marcos is 103 in the rankings, I imagine that he's still a chance of making it through withdrawals but any chance it's a lower cutoff point this year?

I think the deadline is about December 18 so still time for anything to happen ;)
Doesn't look like anyone just behind him is continuing on with their season so I can't see him losing the #103 spot, of course he could injure himself at training or something haha

Anyone know what the cutoff point is for the mens MD this year? My man Marcos is 103 in the rankings, I imagine that he's still a chance of making it through withdrawals but any chance it's a lower cutoff point this year?

It's always 104 direct acceptances for the men in Grand Slam, plus the 16 qualifiers and 8 wild cards.

What you do have to remember though is that there are always players with protected rankings returning from injury, who naturally enter the Slams for the big prize money (James Duckworth will probably be an example of this, as will Yoshihito Nishioka after his knee reco). Because their PR is always within the top 104, they displace the players who are actually ranked there when the cutoff occurs.

So it's not unusual for the lowest player to make it into the draw on ranking to be the one at 98 or 99, rather than 104. But then players who have entered can withdraw from the tournament before the qualies, and their spot is taken by the next ranked player.

On this basis, if your man Baghdatis stays at 103 this week, then it's likely that he will get in directly to the AO after withdrawals.

It's always 104 direct acceptances for the men in Grand Slam, plus the 16 qualifiers and 8 wild cards.

What you do have to remember though is that there are always players with protected rankings returning from injury, who naturally enter the Slams for the big prize money (James Duckworth will probably be an example of this, as will Yoshihito Nishioka after his knee reco). Because their PR is always within the top 104, they displace the players who are actually ranked there when the cutoff occurs.

So it's not unusual for the lowest player to make it into the draw on ranking to be the one at 98 or 99, rather than 104. But then players who have entered can withdraw from the tournament before the qualies, and their spot is taken by the next ranked player.

On this basis, if your man Baghdatis stays at 103 this week, then it's likely that he will get in directly to the AO after withdrawals.
Yeah I realised what you have detailed here this morning, but still cheers for such a great response. Have to hope there are enough withdrawals, and tbh I'm fairly confident that he will make it in :thumbsu::rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I realised what you have detailed here this morning, but still cheers for such a great response. Have to hope there are enough withdrawals, and tbh I'm fairly confident that he will make it in :thumbsu::rolleyes:
he nearly deserves a WC. He has been a huge part of this opens story for around a decade. From the Hewitt match, smashing 3 racquets in a match to making the final so many moons ago.

Cant believe Ebdens ranking. wowsers

Australian Open Wildcard Playoff Entry List:

1 - A.Santillan
2 - A.Bolt
3 - A.de Minaur
4 - J.Smith
5 - A.Whittington
6 - S.Groth
7 - D.Kelly
8 - O.Jasika

M.Purcell
M.Banes