2017 Back Line

Remove this Banner Ad

Howard will be a 10 year gun centre half back. Surprised people can't really see that.
I can.

However after his meteoric rise this year, and given the fact we have no other KP Forward talent coming through, we have to bank on him developing into a key forward/ruck now. There's no other option IMO.

I can.

However after his meteoric rise this year, and given the fact we have no other KP Forward talent coming through, we have to bank on him developing into a key forward/ruck now. There's no other option IMO.
Of course you can, ha....

Yeah it's easy to see him as an easy option up forward but his best footy is when the game is ahead of him and he can attack the game. I feel he is a gun centre half back, hopefully the coaches see this too and not waste time like they did with impey.

We will have to draft or recruit some genuine key forward options.

- The Lobbe trade at the time was the right decision

It absolutely was not the right decision at the time. Trading out Lobbe for the Bulldogs 1st alone, let alone the rumoured two 1sts, when he not only wasn't in our best 22 at the time but actively made other players in our 22 worse whenever he was selected in the team, was just about the most obvious trade offer we've ever received for one of our players. That trade not going through is the textbook example of Ken putting loyalty to his players ahead of the greater good of the PAFC.

Last edited:
Our backline looks revitalised with

Bonner? Hombsche Pittard
Austin Clurey DBJ

That's a pretty solid six with height, strength and run

With 200 games experience between the lot of them. They would get slaughtered.
You would need Trengove and Krakouer in defence.

- Howard being selected over Butcher probably tells you all you need to know about where Butcher stands. Also, Young came in and kicked a s**t load of goals so it hasn't been all bad.
- Hartlett was never going to be traded, he'll be with us for the long haul
- The Lobbe trade at the time was the right decision, in hindsight, it'll probably go down as one of our worst non-trades in our AFL era (even if he didn't get injured this year)
- I'm not sure we've had that many senior players needing to be dropped that weren't. Lobbe was dropped, Carlile was held back from returning to AFL, Arch, Impey, S.Gray, Polec have all been deservedly dropped at times
- I'm not sure we have any gold passes this year

Also...
- There have been some brave selection calls when then became dumb - such as Mitchell to play on Cotchin followed by playing on Hawthorn's Mitchell
- Debuting Austin instead of rushing Carlile back in was the right call
- Persisting with Amon has been more good than bad IMO

I wouldn't call any of these decisions 'tough' but they've been better than the late Primus/Choco era decisions of play your most senior and experienced players available. We probably have done that once against North I think. I didn't like it but at least Stewart will get his 100 games.
I thought Primus was willing to play youth.

I think Paul Stewart should be kept as depth at the very least.

Yet to even see Howards defensive side. Has a lot of work to do if we wants to become a key defender, not sure who he'll shuffle out of that defense to make it happen.He's played forward all his life

Last edited:
It absolutely was not the right decision at the time. Trading out Lobbe for the Bulldogs 1st alone, let alone the rumoured two 1sts, when he not only wasn't in our best 22 at the time but actively made other players in our 22 worse whenever he was selected in the team, was just about the most obvious trade offer we've ever received for one of our players. That trade not going through is the textbook example of Ken putting loyalty to his players ahead of the greater good of the PAFC.

I agree that it was the right move but I'm not sure there's much Ken could've done even if he wanted to.

If Lobbe rejected the trade it's game over. He's contracted for some time and doesn't have to go anywhere unless he is compelled to do so.

I agree that it was the right move but I'm not sure there's much Ken could've done even if he wanted to.

If Lobbe rejected the trade it's game over. He's contracted for some time and doesn't have to go anywhere unless he is compelled to do so.

The player has the power, but it should not be difficult to kick a player out via trade if need be. We have seen plenty of players get traded who didn't really see it coming until the club nudged them out. Shop Lobbe around, tell him that he is not going to be in Port's best 22 next season, and that if he wants any hope in hell of playing AFL footy that he needs to move on.

Heck, Port should even consider paying a small portion of Lobbe's salary if that's going to get a trade over the line.

FB - Krak Austin Jacko

HB - Pittard Hombsch DBJ

Bench - Bonner

That looks much better.

Nothing against introducing a bit of youth but there needs to be a blend of youth and experience. Tom Clurey could be considered but you cannot play them all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The player has the power, but it should not be difficult to kick a player out via trade if need be. We have seen plenty of players get traded who didn't really see it coming until the club nudged them out. Shop Lobbe around, tell him that he is not going to be in Port's best 22 next season, and that if he wants any hope in hell of playing AFL footy that he needs to move on.

Heck, Port should even consider paying a small portion of Lobbe's salary if that's going to get a trade over the line.

His contract is the important thing to consider.

If he was out of contract or in his last year then we hold all the cards and it's a completely different story.

But that's not the case. We extended his contract until the end of 2019 so we have absolutely no leverage here. He doesn't have to go anywhere if he doesn't want to and the only thing we can really do to try and squeeze him out is not play him, but that will probably achieve f@#k all anyway apart from making him the highest paid SANFL player in history and smashing his trade value in the process.

So as you can see we're up s**t creek without a paddle and our kayak has just sprung a leak.

Will the Power keep the same half back line or add through guys like Toumpas.

At stages during the North Melbourne game Wingard was used across there.

Will PAFC use a guy like Impey there to get some more run
How would Toumpas be 'adding' to anything. Depth player at best in any position. #listclogger

That looks much better.

Nothing against introducing a bit of youth but there needs to be a blend of youth and experience. Tom Clurey could be considered but you cannot play them all.

Balance or a lack of was part of our problem in the first few games - Jacko Homma Carlile and Jonas all in the same backline is to slow and lacking run.

Carlile is 30 and way too slow. Would love the power to find a marcus addams player to help hombsch

anyback line without Carlilse is a step in the right direction, i just dont see why it took people 3 years to realise it, its these obvious things that send footy club backwards. Should have been traded 2 years ago

i think people need to get a bit of reality on Jonas, he's a fringe player at best, he's not quite big enough to stand the big forwards, his leg speed is very average, disposal only ok and offers little run out of defense. He was recruited purely as a fill-in for a year or two in the beginning and as far as im concerned his job is done, his role is purely a depth one and should not be part of the leadership group because he doesnt command a position in the best 22

my ideal backline next year would be
DBJ Hombsch Broadbent
Hartlett, Austin/trengove, pittard

His contract is the important thing to consider.

If he was out of contract or in his last year then we hold all the cards and it's a completely different story.

But that's not the case. We extended his contract until the end of 2019 so we have absolutely no leverage here. He doesn't have to go anywhere if he doesn't want to and the only thing we can really do to try and squeeze him out is not play him, but that will probably achieve f@#k all anyway apart from making him the highest paid SANFL player in history and smashing his trade value in the process.

So as you can see we're up s**t creek without a paddle and our kayak has just sprung a leak.

Still disagree. Doesn't matter if he's on a long term deal. You flush them out. Stick him in the SANFL and keep him there if that's what it's going to take for him to get the message. You don't continue playing a guy at AFL level just to try and increase his value when we all know that he adds absolutely nothing to the team and is a hindrance rather than an asset to our structure.

Might have to trade low, but I wouldn't be against trading him for a future 2nd round pick if it means we get him off the books.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back