Collingwood's 2017 best 22

B: Brayden Maynard, Ben Reid, Tom Langdon

HB: Jeremy Howe, Jonathan Marsh, Jackson Ramsay

C: Josh Smith, Taylor Adams, Steele Sidebottom

HF: Jordan De Goey, Jesse White, Ben Crocker

F: Alex Fasolo, Darcy Moore, Jamie Elliot

R: Brodie Grundy, Adam Treloar, Scott Pendlebury

INT: James Aish, Mason Cox, Travis Varcoe, Jack Crisp

Depth: Goldsack, Blair, N.Brown, Greenwood, Phillips, Keeffe, J.Thomas, Sinclair, Wills, Gault, J.Frost

2017 Predictions
Ladder: 7th-9th
Best & Fairest: Brodie Grundy
Club leading goal kicker: Jamie Elliot (52)
Most Improved player: Ben Crocker
All-Australian contenders: Jamie Elliot, Brodie Grundy, Ben Reid, Scott Pendlebury, Adam Treloar
Most underrated player: Jack Crisp
Most Brownlow votes: Adam Treloar

37900128.jpg

Almost exactly how i would pick the team without any inclusions..
But for the sake of the potential post season recruits i will bastardize your side!

C: Daniel Wells, Taylor Adams, Steele Sidebottom

HF: Jordan De Goey, Jesse White, Chris Mayne

INT: James Aish, Will Hoskin-Elliott, Travis Varcoe, Jack Crisp

37900128.jpg

But for the sake of the potential post season recruits i will bastardize your side!

Scharenberg over Langdon for mine... and keefe over marsh simply because of the difference in kicking. Maybe White/Cox instead of the position being a lock for White

Best of all, no Blair in that line-up. He's a soldier, but we can't expect to improve with him still a given on the team sheet each week.

otherwise spot on. Like what Wells and Mayne bring to the line-up. Sitting on the fence regarding WHE until I see more of him

Scharenberg over Langdon for mine... and keefe over marsh simply because of the difference in kicking. Maybe White/Cox instead of the position being a lock for White

Best of all, no Blair in that line-up. He's a soldier, but we can't expect to improve with him still a given on the team sheet each week.

otherwise spot on. Like what Wells and Mayne bring to the line-up. Sitting on the fence regarding WHE until I see more of him

Holy * completely forgot about Shaz!

He's like a new recruit! Please injury gods, spare this man in 2017!

The side I'd like to see played, note in particular that Sidebottom is the forward pocket. Sure he can rotate through the midfield but really we bat deep enough in the middle and he is a good enough crumbling forward that him not being there solves a lot of our problems.

Maynard - Brown - Howe
Sinclair - Marsh - Adams
Varcoe - De Goey - Greenwood
White - Reid - Elliott
Fasolo - Moore - Sidebottom
Grundy - Pendlebury - Treloar
Ramsay - Scharenberg. - Broomhead - Aish

Wells would be a handy get and Mayne might be useful if it allows the upgrade to the first round too.

I know it's a different side to what we've played in the past but it makes the most sense to me.

My prediction for 2017, with only known changes to date (Swan, Cloke, other retirees and delisted)
B: Ramsay Brown Marsh
HB: Maynard Reid Sinclair (assuming he's ok)
C: Crisp Treloar Sidebottom
HF: Elliott White De Goey
F: Greenwood Moore Fasolo
R: Grundy Pendlebury Adams
I: Aish Scharenberg Varcoe Howe

With the changes that are expected at this stage:
B: Ramsay Marsh Howe
HB: Maynard Reid Sinclair
C: Wells, Treloar, Sidebottom
HF: Elliott White De Goey
F: Mayne Moore Fasolo
R: Grundy Pendlebury Adams
I: Aish Scharenberg Varcoe Crisp
(WHE an emergency)

Scharenberg probably won't be in the 22 immediately but would expect over the course of the year he'll establish himself.

Looking at that, we're a KPD short (Keeffe isn't going to be an answer if we want to be good), and still have too many so-so medium defenders, even with Toovey going (can't find a spot for Langdon or, if he stays, Williams), and inside mids (having to stick De Goey in the HF line, Crisp and/or Greenwood on the bench, Wills not in the team at all). Conversely, a genuine 2nd tall forward and small/medium forwards after Fas and Elliott are really difficult to suggest and we end up with compromises there. Who knows, maybe in that light, Mayne does make some sense?

The side I'd like to see played, note in particular that Sidebottom is the forward pocket. Sure he can rotate through the midfield but really we bat deep enough in the middle and he is a good enough crumbling forward that him not being there solves a lot of our problems.

Maynard - Brown - Howe
Sinclair - Marsh - Adams
Varcoe - De Goey - Greenwood
White - Reid - Elliott
Fasolo - Moore - Sidebottom
Grundy - Pendlebury - Treloar
Ramsay - Scharenberg. - Broomhead - Aish

Wells would be a handy get and Mayne might be useful if it allows the upgrade to the first round too.

I know it's a different side to what we've played in the past but it makes the most sense to me.
For me, playing Steele in the forward line rather than the wing takes away his major strength, which is his tank, and which is the avenue he generates a lot of his goal attempts (by outworking his opponents).

For me, playing Steele in the forward line rather than the wing takes away his major strength, which is his tank, and which is the avenue he generates a lot of his goal attempts (by outworking his opponents).
I agree he's a great midfielder for exactly the reason you've anointed, but our need is a crumbling forward, we bar deep for mids and Steele is the most proficient crumber we have on our list. INO De Goey needs to go into the middle and Steele needs to be a crumber that can play midfield minutes when need be.

I agree he's a great midfielder for exactly the reason you've anointed, but our need is a crumbling forward, we bar deep for mids and Steele is the most proficient crumber we have on our list. INO De Goey needs to go into the middle and Steele needs to be a crumber that can play midfield minutes when need be.
Don't think what we lose there is worth what we gain (in part because I don't think he'll be as good a dedicated forward as he is a midfielder). But it's an interesting idea to consider. Having DeGoey stuck being a forward is not ideal.

Actually, would probably include Cox in my. 22s over Scharenberg at this stage. Another preseason for the big guy, at his rate of improvement, and given our lack of KPF depth will see him in the 22.

Would also have Smith close to a spot/coming in for Sinclair if Ben isn't ok.

Last edited:
THis is before any trades or further delisitngs:

B: Williams, Marsh, Maynard
HB: Ramsay, Reid, Howe
C: Crisp, Adams, Aish
HF: Varcoe, White, Sidebottom
F: Fasolo, Moore, DeGoey
R: Grundy, Treloar, Pendlebury

I: Greenwood, Langdon, Smith, Crocker
E: Wills, Scharenberg, Broomhead, Cox, Thomas, Phillips

Notes:

Forward line
  • I'm extremely pessimistic about Elliott getting on the field and staying there - happy to be proven wrong
  • I think the Moore and White combo has started to click and we have two potential back ups to give Brodie a chop out when needed
  • DeGoey and Sidebottom are more in the midfield rotation than true forwards - having blokes like Sidebottom, DeGoey, Aish and Pendlebury rotating between the midfield and the forward line as needed should help cover for Elliot potentially not being there.
  • In Elliott's absence Crocker will take a step forward and kick 20-25 goals this year in 12-14 games.
Midfield
  • As much as some people like Adams off half back I prefer him in the guts where he can take some of the heat off Treloar and Pendles - loves the hard stuff and I love him for it.
  • I reckon Aish found his spot on the wing towards the end of the year so that's where we should leave him.
  • There's still a spot for Greenwood to taken on the dirty work in lock down roles in the short term, which he does pretty well. Can also kick a goal which is handy (we'll need all the goal kickers we can get).
  • Thomas will get his chance this year, but I'm not sure where Broomhead's is coming from unless we end up with a rash of injuries again in 2017. One of these two should be pushing Greenwood out eventually if all goes to plan.
  • Plenty of depth in the midfield now, although we are desperately in need of another outside mid or two who can break the lines and use the ball well.
Backline
  • I'm backing Marley in to turn it around and go back to his 2015 form if he stays - combined with Ramsay and Maynard we have three potential line-breakers coming out of the back half, which I like.
  • Reid is better at CHB where he can put his intercept marking nous to best use - between him and Howe I'm hoping we can pick off opposition forward entries regularly.
  • We're a bit light on against big, strong, mobile forwards and I'm not sure if we have anyone on the list currently that can handle them, so it'll have to be Marsh for now - we'll be relying more on Reid and Howe helping out than a direct opponent shutting them down.
  • I still remember Keeffe's total melt downs towards the end of 2014 and he is just not the answer to our KPD issues - I'm not sure if he'll even make it past the VFL squad this year.
  • Sinclair is done - it'll be a tough call, but with the apparent innocuousness of his past couple of concussions if he's not going to make it then we'll have to make it for him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Ramsey, Marsh, Howe
HB: Scharenberg, Reid, Maynard
C: Aish, Adams, Crisp
HF: Fasolo, White, Keefe
FF: Sidebottom, Moore, Elliott
Ru: Grundy, Treloar, Pendlebury
Int: Crocker, Wills, Varcoe, De Goey

(Without recruits)
You sure you are being realistic with Scharenberg being best 22 next year? ... guys hardly played any footy last 3 years since being DRAFTED, coming off his second acl... He might need to play a good long stint in the VFL and then prove he's better than the likes of Langdon before he gets a best 22 nod.... just imo

Don't think what we lose there is worth what we gain (in part because I don't think he'll be as good a dedicated forward as he is a midfielder). But it's an interesting idea to consider. Having DeGoey stuck being a forward is not ideal.
Yeah I do agree but it (like having Reid at CHF) to me is the most workable option we have given the state of our list. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have both in their most natural position but a huge lack of options makes me think it's just how we structure up best.

I do agree on the whole with what you're saying though

37900128.jpg

That's almost a finals team :p

Assuming fully fit list...

FB: Marsh, Brown/Keeffe, Scharenberg/Williams
HB: Ramsay, Reid, Maynard
C: Sidebottom, Adams, Varcoe
HF: De Goey, White, Fasolo
FF: Howe, Moore, Elliott
Int: Smith, Crocker/Cox, Crisp, Wills

Aish ahead of Wills. Swap Howe and Sidebottom and I think you're getting close. Think Cox will be in the mix to free up White for 2nd ruck duties. Think Shaz might take a while to force his way into the senior line-up and would like either Sinclair or Williams (if he stays) in that back pocket position. Still not convinced Brown will be going anywhere and I'd have him ahead of Keeffe. Would like to squeeze Langdon and Greenwood into the team.

Could all change depending on who goes and who arrives.

Last edited:
B: Tomlinson, Keefe, Howe
HB: Marchbank, Reid, Scharenberg
C: Sidebottom, Adams, WHE
HF: Varcoe, White, Wills
FF: Fasolo , Moore, Elliott
Int: Marsh, Crisp, Aish, Maynard
Emer: Greenwood, Siers, Ramsay, Sinclair, DeGoey.

I'm sure I've left a good player out

This will get me up an about for 2017!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd love to land either Tomlinson or Marchbank but Hine is an absolute genius if he lands both AND WHE.

there was a replay of the geelong game on foxtel today, jack crisp was unbelievably good in the first half. where is that form, how can we harness that line breaking aggression and get him to perform in this manner on a more regular basis. that bloke could honestly transform our forward delivery if he could find a way to break the lines against more opponents

Got off to a sluggish start but was fine later in the year. Will finish well inside the top 10 in the Copeland.

Collingwood's 2017 best 22

C: Josh Smith, Taylor Adams, Steele Sidebottom

HF: Jordan De Goey, Jesse White, Ben Crocker

INT: James Aish, Mason Cox, Travis Varcoe, Jack Crisp

Depth: Goldsack, Blair, N.Brown, Greenwood, Phillips, Keeffe, J.Thomas, Sinclair, Wills, Gault, J.Frost

2017 Predictions
Ladder: 7th-9th
Best & Fairest: Brodie Grundy
Club leading goal kicker: Jamie Elliot (52)
Most Improved player: Ben Crocker
All-Australian contenders: Jamie Elliot, Brodie Grundy, Ben Reid, Scott Pendlebury, Adam Treloar
Most underrated player: Jack Crisp
Most Brownlow votes: Adam Treloar

*, did Scharenburg do another ACL? :'(

Round 1 2017.

B: Brayden Maynard, Nathan Brown, Tyson Goldsack

HB: Jeremy Howe, Ben Reid, Matthew Scharenberg

C: Steele Sidebottom, Taylor Adams, James Aish

HF: Alex Fasolo, Darcy Moore, Tim Broomhead

FF: Jamie Elliot, Mason Cox, Ben Crocker

Int: Josh Smith, Jordan De Goey, Jackson Ramsay, Travis Varcoe

We've got to remember we are picking hopefully a side that will play in Round 1. Continuity is the most important aspect from the first month, we know we can play well when we are pressuring but we mustn't over possess the ball and not over complicate things. I have faith in the coaching staff but they can be too rigid in their direction.

Assuming Brown and Witts go out, Billy, Schaz and Ramsay are fit and WHE, Wells and Mayne come in, my team would look something like the following.

Ramsay, Frost, Williams
Howe, Reid, Elliott
Varcoe, Pendles, Wells
Steele, Moore, WHE
White, Mayne, Fasolo

Foll: Grundy, Treloar, Aish
Bench: Adams, Cox, Crisp, De Goey

Billy in the backline is left field I know, but I think he will play a fair bit up the ground next year. If Mayne and WHE come in we would have so many quality mid sized forward options and the skill set could be used elsewhere.

Billy, Howe and Reid would be a great combination - great marking, dash and top draw kicking skills.

The midfield is sensational and right up there with the best in the league. Forward line very dangerous and multi dimensional. Grundy was excellent this year and should continue to improve.

The key backs worry me a fair bit, though. We just don't have enough experience and Reid's body is so unreliable. I hope we go out and draft the best state league full back in the country and just put him in.

My team will change twenty times before Round 1, so who the hell knows! Greenwood, Wills, Smith and Crocker will also get plenty of games of course. Shaz should and will get opportunities too when ready.

For those who ask, I didn't rate Keefe before the layoff, let alone now. He is a solid kick so hopefully he proves me wrong.

I also think that 2016 was a misleading year for our defenders. Last year Williams, Langdon and Frost were pretty good (Williams very good), all were junk this year.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back