2017 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbo. :)
I honestly feel we need to move beyond Gibbo as the key to our defence. I want that second tall and I want burton in defence and I can only see that happen if Gibbo is taken out of his traditional roles. Not sure if he stays in the team on that basis although I'm sure Clarko finds him a spot.

We've played a five man zone with a lose man floating to the contest for about five years now. Hodge really evolved that role and then Gibbo took over.

If we change our defensive plan to a five zone with a runner (ala Johannson in the finals) then I think Gibbo gets slowly squeezed out of the line up. Possibly we go to a four man zone, one floater and one runner, then perhaps Gibbo could stay. But I think we're more likely to be less structured on the rebound. We'll possibly keep a one-man free zone and probably have three men free to break a run, the other two falling back into a five man zone based on who ran (in order to hopefully gum up a kick back into the 50 from an unfortunate quick turnover).

Anyway if we do a line-breaking defense (if we do, which you would have to say is pretty likely) then I think Gibbo slowly gets squeezed from the lineup. His runs forward are always more conservative as he keeps a careful eye on making sure he doesn't over-extend the defense and leave it exposed. I think there will be younger players more game-style willing (and conditioned) to run forward out of position and run back in desperation.

Dunno. Will be interesting to see what happens.

I suppose every game is different but I've always been a fan of the Floater role or extra-man behind the ball!

With the majority of the game played between the two half-forward lines it allows our defence to hold a higher probability of winning a contest via weight of numbers, protects against loose kick forwards, congests opposition forward lines.

Moreoverrrrrr, midfields aren't solely relied on to race back to aid defenders, then run forward again tiring themselves quickly. Oh, and with a dependable, quality Floater, teams can engineer robust attacks through the weight of numbers.

Yep, we always seem much more destructive this way.

The midfield lineup is absolutely intriguing. apart from a few the lineup is wide open which is a great thing as form will dictate selection more than it has for a long long time. plus it means we can test multiple combinations.

Best 22: 2016
Ben Stratton, James Frawley, Shaun Burgoyne
Luke Hodge, Josh Gibson, Grant Birchall

Isaac Smith, Sam Mitchell, Bradley Hill

Luke Breust, Jack Gunston, Cyril Rioli
Paul Puopolo, Jack Fitzpatrick, Ryan Schoenmakers (?)

Ben McEvoy, Jordan Lewis, Liam Shiels

Taylor Duryea, Ryan Burton, Brendan Whitecross, James Sicily

PLAYERS TO COME IN: Tyrone Vickery, Tom Mitchell, Jaeger O'Meara, Jarryd Roughead (?), Jono O'Rouke, Billy Hartung, Will Langford, Kaiden Brand, Tim O'Brien and Daniel Howe are probably the ones who are next in line. Then your few game players such as Teia Miles, Kade Stewart, Kieran Lovell, Blake Hardwick and Marc Pittonet.
What players would you pick to come in?

Best 22: 2017
Ben Stratton, James Frawley, Shaun Burgoyne
Luke Hodge, Josh Gibson, Grant Birchall

Isaac Smith,Tom Mitchell, Billy Hartung

Luke Breust, Jack Gunston, Cyril Rioli
Paul Puopolo, Tyrone Vickery , Jarryd Roughead (?)

Ben McEvoy, Jaeger O'Meara, Liam Shiels

Taylor Duryea, Ryan Burton, Brendan Whitecross, James Sicily
It needs at least one of Schoey or Brand. Schoey when fit can play that high marking leading forward with Vickery coming out of the square. We desperately need a tall key back to play on the monster ruck/forwards these days and Brand is the best prospect we have. Let's give him a decent shot and see if he can ultimately cut it. I think he can.

I know a lot of people aren't going to agree with this, but why not play Hurley forward for this game?
Remember round 22 2009 when he tore Hawthorn a new one and booted us into a final with 4 crucial goals?
We are a big chance to beat the Hawks here just looking at these line-ups, Hocking to Hodge, I like Ambrose on Gunston & Tippa on Rioli.
25th of March is only 3 months and a bit months away - cant wait!!!

Ambrose Hartley Baguley
Gunston Sicily Puopolo
Goddard Hooker Tippa
Breust Vickery Rioli
Parish Heppell Stanton
Hartung T.Mitchell Smith
Zakka Hurley Langford
Stratton Gibson Duryea
Watson Daniher Fantasia
Birchill Frawley Burgoyne

Leuenberger Hocking Z.Merrett
McEvoy Hodge O'Meara

Myers McGrath Colyer Laverde
Burton Whitecross Shiels Henderson

I know a lot of people aren't going to agree with this, but why not play Hurley forward for this game?
Remember round 22 2009 when he tore Hawthorn a new one and booted us into a final with 4 crucial goals?
We are a big chance to beat the Hawks here just looking at these line-ups, Hocking to Hodge, I like Ambrose on Gunston & Tippa on Rioli.

Ambrose Hartley Baguley
Gunston Sicily Puopolo
Goddard Hooker Tippa
Breust Vickery Rioli
Parish Heppell Stanton
Hartung T.Mitchell Smith
Zakka Hurley Langford
Stratton Gibson Duryea
Watson Daniher Fantasia

McEvoy Hodge O'Meara

You have the convicted drug cheats in bold.

That's convenient.

Ambrose Hartley Baguley
Gunston Sicily Puopolo
Goddard Hooker Tippa
Breust Vickery Rioli
Parish Heppell Stanton
Hartung T.Mitchell Smith
Zakka Hurley Langford
Stratton Gibson Duryea
Watson Daniher Fantasia

McEvoy Hodge O'Meara

2009??? really you are running with that for a game to be played in 2017?

Ambrose Hartley Baguley
Gunston Sicily Puopolo
Goddard Hooker Tippa
Breust Vickery Rioli
Parish Heppell Stanton
Hartung T.Mitchell Smith
Zakka Hurley Langford
Stratton Gibson Duryea
Watson Daniher Fantasia

McEvoy Hodge O'Meara

I think you're lost mate. Your post seems to be worded as if you're talking to your own board.

Ambrose Hartley Baguley
Gunston Sicily Puopolo
Goddard Hooker Tippa
Breust Vickery Rioli
Parish Heppell Stanton
Hartung T.Mitchell Smith
Zakka Hurley Langford
Stratton Gibson Duryea
Watson Daniher Fantasia

McEvoy Hodge O'Meara

Get the cattle truck off this forum!

My thoughts:

B: Gibson Frawley Stratton
HB: Burgoyne Brand Birchall
C: Smith Mitchell Shiels
HF: Rioli Gunston Pup
F: Sicily Roughead Breust
R: Pittonet O'meara Hodge
I/C: Vickery Burton Dureya Whitecross

A few notes:

I much prefer Pittonet as 1st ruck as I don't rate McEvoy at all but can't see it happening unfortunately.

Gee the last few spots are tough. Wouldn't suprise me to see Henderson or Hartung in this team Round 1 with Dureya the likely out.

I went over the hawks list and gee they have a tonne of depth still with the young guys coming through. Im a big fan of stewart, lovell and hardwick and think they will play a few games this season but couldnt fit them into my best 22.
Im not a fan of pittonet so went with big mac.
The tall forwards were the hard ones for me. If rough comes back it completely changes things.

Let me know any suggestions for changes.
Hawks 2017

B: Stratton Brand Gibson
HB: Birchall Frawley Burton
C: Smith Hodge Hartung
HF: Rioli Gunston Bruest
Ff: Sicily Vickery Puopolo
Foll: McEvoy Mitchell O'Meara
Bench: Shiels, Whitecross, Burgoyne, Schoenmakers

I can't remember the round or team, but sometime this season Sicily played off half back and on the wing where he won about 32 disposals, maybe if there's no room in the forward line we'll see him on the wing

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went over the hawks list and gee they have a tonne of depth still with the young guys coming through. Im a big fan of stewart, lovell and hardwick and think they will play a few games this season but couldnt fit them into my best 22.
The tall forwards were the hard ones for me. If rough comes back it completely changes things.

Hawks 2017

Not a bad effort.

Hawks 2017

Nice squad mate.

Hodgey for me will be a perm half backer, I think Shiels will be an absolute lock to be starting in the middle along with Titch and JOM. Big Ruff has commenced training with the senior group so there is every chance that he is available, that would be massive.

Surely the time for JOR is now, if he can even be JUST a contributor that would be massive for our midfield depth, it would mean we bat a lot deeper and dont have to rely on Burger and Hodge to fill in gaps as much.

B: Duryea - Frawley - Gibson
HB: Hodge - Brand - Birchall
W: Smith - JOM - Hartung
HF: Rioli - Gunston - Bruest
F: Roughead - Vickery - Puopolo
Foll: McEvoy - Shield - Mitchell
B: Burgoyne - Whitecross - Burton - Sicily

I can't remember the round or team, but sometime this season Sicily played off half back and on the wing where he won about 32 disposals, maybe if there's no room in the forward line we'll see him on the wing

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No way Sicily had 30+ in a game.

His best was 25 against the bombers is that the game your thinking of?

Nice squad mate.

Hodgey for me will be a perm half backer, I think Shiels will be an absolute lock to be starting in the middle along with Titch and JOM. Big Ruff has commenced training with the senior group so there is every chance that he is available, that would be massive.

Surely the time for JOR is now, if he can even be JUST a contributor that would be massive for our midfield depth, it would mean we bat a lot deeper and dont have to rely on Burger and Hodge to fill in gaps as much.

I cant see orourke improving much more than what he has already. Stewart has already gone past him IMO.

Nice squad mate.

Stratton?

I don't even make the smallest attempt at these lists. They are beyond me. Can you imagine how difficult it is at the selection meetings?

Game plan, opponent, rotations, fitness, mojo.

It's all too much for me to consider.

Stratton?

I don't even make the smallest attempt at these lists. They are beyond me. Can you imagine how difficult it is at the selection meetings?

Game plan, opponent, rotations, fitness, mojo.

It's all too much for me to consider.

I knew I'd miss one lol.. now I'm stuffed. Stratts to HB, Hodgey to bench, Whitey out.

The teams best 22 has so many variables. There are so many ways the team could be set up. There is still a lot of players who will be in the reserves who would be getting games at 50% or more of clubs in the afl. List isn't as bad as what people want to believe it is. We just need to get games into the players of the future in 2017 and show us the fans what we already know what they are capable of but to show the opposition and the afl who they are and make a name.

Yes at the end of 2017 we won't have much to trade with of much value......but there is a good langford coming through next year i am lead to believe....? Also we hit free agency hard and all that costs is money and a list spot :)

I knew I'd miss one lol.. now I'm stuffed. Stratts to HB, Hodgey to bench, Whitey out.
Whitey offers more than duryea IMO. Im a fan of duryea and believe he will play a fair chunk of the season but if i had to pick a side for one game id be inclined to go the more versatile pacey whitecross.

Whitey offers more than duryea IMO. Im a fan of duryea and believe he will play a fair chunk of the season but if i had to pick a side for one game id be inclined to go the more versatile pacey whitecross.

Your an astute judge of our team given your a dog supporter. Dont suppose you want to change clubs? :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back