HB: Birchall - Brand - Stratton
FB: Burgoyne - Frawley - Gibson

Ru: McEvoy
RR: O'Meara
Ro: Mitchell

I/C: Whitecross, Hartung, Langford and Sicily

Emerg: Lovell, Schoenmakers and Duryea
no spider burton?

I had Whitey playing better football than Birchall and Duryea at the end of the season.
I agree, Birchall had a very poor end to the season and finals series. But he's a better player than Whitecross. Outside of a handful of games in late 2015, I do not rate Duryea and also hope others overtake him in the side.

Looking at these teams we'd be certain favourites if we kept Lewis and Mitchell on the list, but you can also see that adding two starters in Mitchell and O'Meara without making space for them would have left blokes like Langford, O'Rourke, Howe, Lovell, Stewart and Hartung disgruntled as they are ready to take the next step.

You do have to wonder whether the club might have done things differently had they known Roughhead would be healthy for 2017.

It will be interesting to see how a healthy Roughead affects the role Burton plays. I'd say a forward line with Roughead and Vickery as the gorillas, Gunston as the mobile tall and Bruest, Rioli and Puopolo as the smalls will be the preferred forward 6. Then there is Sicily. Obviously players rotate in and out of other positions but it is difficult to see a regular forward role for Burton.

Will be very interesting to see how they use him. I think he will play the year off half back where he looked most comfortable this year.

My best 22 is (age at start of season in brackets):

B: Stratton(28) Frawley(28) Gibson(33)
HB: Burgoyne(34) Burton(20) Birchall(29)
C: Hartung(22) T.Mitchell(23) Smith(28)
HF: Gunston(25) Roughead(30) Breust(26)
F: Rioli(27) Vickery(26) Puopolo(29)
R: McEvoy(27) O'Meara(23) Shiels(25)

INT: Hodge(32) Sicily(22) Howe(21) Langford(24)

DEPTH:

Backs: Brand(22) Whitecross(27) Duryea(25) Heatherley(22) Miles(20) Glass(19) Morrison (18)
Midfielders: O'Rourke(22) Stewart(20) Lovell(19)
Forwards: Schoenmakers(26) O'Brien(23) Hardwick(20) Lewis (18)
Rucks: Pittonet(20) Fitzpatrick(25) Ceglar(26)
I like this team. I also like the fact that we have such strong players out of the team in almost every line.

It will be interesting to see how a healthy Roughead affects the role Burton plays. I'd say a forward line with Roughead and Vickery as the gorillas, Gunston as the mobile tall and Bruest, Rioli and Puopolo as the smalls will be the preferred forward 6. Then there is Sicily. Obviously players rotate in and out of other positions but it is difficult to see a regular forward role for Burton.

Will be very interesting to see how they use him. I think he will play the year off half back where he looked most comfortable this year.

My best 22 is (age at start of season in brackets):

B: Stratton(28) Frawley(28) Gibson(33)
HB: Burgoyne(34) Burton(20) Birchall(29)
C: Hartung(22) T.Mitchell(23) Smith(28)
HF: Gunston(25) Roughead(30) Breust(26)
F: Rioli(27) Vickery(26) Puopolo(29)
R: McEvoy(27) O'Meara(23) Shiels(25)

INT: Hodge(32) Sicily(22) Howe(21) Langford(24)

DEPTH:

Backs: Brand(22) Whitecross(27) Duryea(25) Heatherley(22) Miles(20) Glass(19) Morrison (18)
Midfielders: O'Rourke(22) Stewart(20) Lovell(19)
Forwards: Schoenmakers(26) O'Brien(23) Hardwick(20) Lewis (18)
Rucks: Pittonet(20) Fitzpatrick(25) Ceglar(26)

Absolutely no way known that Langford gets ahead of WhiteX based on 2016 form. Not a chance in hell.

Haven't done one of these for a while.

B: Gibson Frawley stratton
HB: Birchall Brand Hodge
C: Smith Shiels Henderson
HF: Gunston Vickery Rioli
F: puopolo Roughead Breust
Foll: McEvoy Mitchell OMeara
Int: Schoenmakers Whitecross Burton o'rourke
Burgoyne ain't a bad emergency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FF: Gunston - Roughead - Puopolo
HF: Breust - Vickery - Rioli
Ce: Shiels - Hodge - Smith
HB: Birchall - Brand - Stratton
FB: Burgoyne - Frawley - Gibson

Ru: McEvoy
RR: O'Meara
Ro: Mitchell

I/C: Whitecross, Hartung, Langford and Burton

Emerg: Sicily, Schoenmakers and Duryea
I think that is a pretty good list but I think Gibson misses out for Whitecross or Duryea. He was a great player but looked well past it late in the year and the backline looks unbalanced.

I think that is a pretty good list but I think Gibson misses out for Whitecross or Duryea. He was a great player but looked well past it late in the year and the backline looks unbalanced.

There was a rapid decline in output from the team overall in 2016. Speaking to one of the lads, he said the team ran out of juice and he, himself, was cooked by RD 18.

During our first transition year (if you will), and so many debutants, the load was spread too thin. Hopefully we're better balanced heading into 2017.

That forward line is interesting.

Traditional (if you will) thinking might have the more mobile Roughy at CHF with Victory playing out of the square & Gunners running off HFF - even if you reverse Rough/Victory, you'd still have the 2x pillars taking up those key roles.

But Clarko has shown a tendency to play the bigger targets deep (say Roughy & Hale) & the 3rd forward at CHF (Gunner, Schoey & even Franco, although he's both CHF & HFF in one).I'm not sure Roughy will have the tank/fitness to play CHF & I reckon Victory (at least in his first year with us) will get lost if he plays there.

Will we re-live the 2015 GF & play Rough, 2x rucks, Gunners & Schoey up forward? Maybe against teams with slow midfields but certainly not against the flogs or great waste of space.

My guess is that Victory will play in the forward pocket & Roughy at FF (or vice versa) & that Gunners will play CHF, leaving Popeye, Cyril & Bruest to double-lead into space around the Forward 50m & to allow Gunners to lead back toward goal with the flight of the ball.

I guess we'll find out in about 4 months.

Feel like JOR is in our best 22. Without saying anything that is private information what sort of hurdles has JOR had to overcome? Haven't really been following too much, understand he has had some injuries Abasi

Feel like JOR is in our best 22. Without saying anything that is private information what sort of hurdles has JOR had to overcome? Haven't really been following too much, understand he has had some injuries Abasi
A couple of niggles and a hamstring later in the year, from memory.

The expectation on him is high, but he has struggled with continuity.

TheFourPillars may be able to correct me on the hamstring.

A couple of niggles and a hamstring later in the year, from memory.

The expectation on him is high, but he has struggled with continuity.

TheFourPillars may be able to correct me on the hamstring.
Yeah he had ongoing hamstring injuries during the year. I know on one occasion he played out a game at box hill after giving it a twinge and then had about 2 to 3 weeks off

Yeah he had ongoing hamstring injuries during the year. I know on one occasion he played out a game at box hill after giving it a twinge and then had about 2 to 3 weeks off
Your memory>>my memory. :)

Iirc, he had a few hamstring issues at GWS as well. Do you think it's likely he'll end up in a situation like Jed Anderson, where he just continues to have issues with his hamstrings (and back), or is it something he'll eventually get over and get that continuity in his game?

Iirc, he had a few hamstring issues at GWS as well. Do you think it's likely he'll end up in a situation like Jed Anderson, where he just continues to have issues with his hamstrings (and back), or is it something he'll eventually get over and get that continuity in his game?
Going well so far fingers crossed. Came 3rd in the time trial

B: Duryea Brand Gibson
HB: Birchall Frawley Stratton
C: Smith Mitchell Hartung
HF: Rioli Gunston Puopolo
F: Breust Roughead Vickery
R: McEvoy Shiels Burgoyne
Int: Hodge Burton Whitecross Sicily

Depth: O'Rourke, O'Brien, Schoey, Langford, Heatherley, Lovell, Stewart, Howe, etc

Edit: Jaeger is the unknown. If he's 100% then he comes into the team at the expense of Sicily or Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back