2017 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I would love it if this was our best 22 by years end because players had pushed in and cemented their spot on their own merits.

B: Taylor Duryea ~ James Frawley ~ Ben Stratton
HB: Shaun Burgoyne ~ Kaiden Brand ~ Ryan Burton
W: Jaeger O'Meara ~ Liam Shiels ~ Isaac Smith
HF: Luke Bruest ~ Jack Gunston ~ James Sicily
F: Cyril Rioli ~ Jarryd Roughead(c) ~ Tyrone Vickery

Foll: Ben McEvoy ~ Jon O'Rourke ~ Tom Mitchell
I/C: ~ Paul Puopulo ~ Keiran Lovell ~ Josh Gibson ~ Luke Hodge
Interesting you rate Jon O'Rourke so highly. How have you viewed him as a player to date? Overall I see him generally fulfilling his role, but
have yet to see signs that will suggest he will play on the ball in our best 22. Reckon what most of you post is on the ball, so hopefully you're right and he develops into that player.

I would love it if this was our best 22 by years end because players had pushed in and cemented their spot on their own merits.

B: Taylor Duryea ~ James Frawley ~ Ben Stratton
HB: Shaun Burgoyne ~ Kaiden Brand ~ Ryan Burton
W: Jaeger O'Meara ~ Liam Shiels ~ Isaac Smith
HF: Luke Bruest ~ Jack Gunston ~ James Sicily
F: Cyril Rioli ~ Jarryd Roughead(c) ~ Tyrone Vickery

Foll: Ben McEvoy ~ Jon O'Rourke ~ Tom Mitchell
I/C: ~ Paul Puopulo ~ Keiran Lovell ~ Josh Gibson ~ Luke Hodge

I agree (or at least hope), that Jon O'Rourke and Keiran Lovell will finish the year in the best 22

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting you rate Jon O'Rourke so highly. How have you viewed him as a player to date? Overall I see him generally fulfilling his role, but
have yet to see signs that will suggest he will play on the ball in our best 22. Reckon what most of you post is on the ball, so hopefully you're right and he develops into that player.
I think you missed the first part of my post.

Not sure if it's make or break for O'Rourke as the club would obviously know he's had some niggles over the last 18 months, but they'd definitely be very keen for him to repay the faith in him.

Interesting that Whiteceoss mentioned this week that O'Rourke was starting to put the pressure on the big runners like Smith and Hartung this preseason, so he sounds quite fit.

Not sure if it's make or break for O'Rourke as the club would obviously know he's had some niggles over the last 18 months, but they'd definitely be very keen for him to repay the faith in him.

Interesting that Whiteceoss mentioned this week that O'Rourke was starting to put the pressure on the big runners like Smith and Hartung this preseason, so he sounds quite fit.

They say he works well inside and outside so it would be interesting to see if they try him out as more of a winger then. That makes another player that Hartung needs to compete against

Is this a "make or break" season for O'Rourke and Langford? Will be a bit hard with TOM and JOM but I hope they can make their way into the midfield

Langers has a contract until the end of 2019. Potentially on some pretty good money too.

Though assuming nothing goes wrong this will be his first uninterrupted preseason since before the 2014 season.

I also think the addition of T.Mitchell and Shiels playing more on ball will help Langford. S.Mitchell and Lewis seemed to play more outside roles in 2016 and Langford was left to do a lot of that heavy lifting himself. Making it easier for opposition to stop him.

Langers has a contract until the end of 2019. Potentially on some pretty good money too.

Though assuming nothing goes wrong this will be his first uninterrupted preseason since before the 2014 season.

I also think the addition of T.Mitchell and Shiels playing more on ball will help Langford. S.Mitchell and Lewis seemed to play more outside roles in 2016 and Langford was left to do a lot of that heavy lifting himself. Making it easier for opposition to stop him.

I agree, i feel Shiels played the role that Langford thrives as (tagging, hard at it tackling midfielder) so I think that made it hard for him to break in but with S Mitchell and Lewis gone roles will change and we'll see more of Langford

They say he works well inside and outside so it would be interesting to see if they try him out as more of a winger then. That makes another player that Hartung needs to compete against

I agree JOR has the tools to be a really good winger. Would be brilliant if he made it his own.

I haven't even really factored JOR into any of my estimations about how we'll do in 2017. If he makes it into the best 22 on his own merit then that's a huge plus from my perspective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strats Brand Frawley
Birch GIBBO Duryea
Hartung Mitch Burton (love a tall winger)
smith Gunston Hodge
Bruest Rough Siciily
McEvoy Shiels Cyril
Vickery Howe (rotate back 6) Burgoyne (rotate mid) Puopolo

My team is a bit slow and light on mids but they are out best 22.

JOM replaces Hartung when ready.

IN the mix - Lang, WX, Shoe/O'B if Rough not fit.

I have seen nothing in what JOR has done at AFL or VFL level. Reckon we are in trouble if he is getting a game.

Likely to spend the majority of 2017 across half back.
Who plays midfield then? Assuming O'meara is fit, you only have O'meara, Mitchell, Shiels, Hartung, Smith running through the midfield. There's room for at least 2 more midfielders in the rotation, who can fill the void if Burgoyne is kept at half back?

Who plays midfield then? Assuming O'meara is fit, you only have O'meara, Mitchell, Shiels, Hartung, Smith running through the midfield. There's room for at least 2 more midfielders in the rotation, who can fill the void if Burgoyne is kept at half back?
Hodge, Mitchell, O'Meara, Shiels, Smith, Rioli, Hartung, Breust, Puopolo, Roughhead, Henderson, O'Rourke, Langford, Lovell, Gunston, Burton, Whitecross, Howe, Stewart could all get time and Burgers will still roll through

Hodge, Mitchell, O'Meara, Shiels, Smith, Rioli, Hartung, Breust, Puopolo, Roughhead, Henderson, O'Rourke, Langford, Lovell, Gunston, Burton, Whitecross, Howe, Stewart could all get time and Burgers will still roll through
Still seems a bit light-on...

Probably really need any 2 of Doc, Brand, Gibbo/Frawley to play 10% midfield as well.

You have gotta love the opposition concerns about our midfield depth.

You could almost say we were slightly handcuffed by having Mitchell & Lewis as they weren't as versatile as some of the others & had to spend more time there.

I'm dead set excited to see who comes on the most out of that group!
I really want to see Gunston evolve, O'Rourke to live the hype, Lovell to break out & Cyril to finally take that step as did GAJ & Dane Swan to become elite.

I can't see why so many posters don't have Whitecross in the side. To my eyes he was one of our better players in the finals series and was improving every match.

Sent from my HUAWEI RIO-L02 using Tapatalk
If he stays healthy and continues playing to somewhere near the standards he played at this year, he's a lock for best 22 in 2017. I even think he still has another gear that could be unleashed in the midfield at times next year tbh.

With all the experience Shoey has and with his natural ability im hoping he can deliver us a couple of really golden years it would be a massive bonus for us.

I can't see why so many posters don't have Whitecross in the side. To my eyes he was one of our better players in the finals series and was improving every match.

I've mentioned the same thing a few times in this thread. Easily best 22. Those without him in their side aren't taking it seriously.

He's 26 too and coming off an ACL, still has a fair bit of upside to him and a few more years of footy assuming he doesn't get injured.

Looks super composed under pressure too!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back