2017 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure. More of a comment about how useful is he given we just delisted someone with bad decision making and disposal
Oh. Far more defensive than Litherland was, and plays taller. That's a bonus.

FF: Gunston - Roughead - Puopolo
HF: Breust - Vickery - Rioli
Ce: Shiels - Hodge - Smith
HB: Birchall - Brand - Stratton
FB: Burgoyne - Frawley - Gibson

Ru: McEvoy
RR: O'Meara
Ro: Mitchell

IC: Burton, Whitey, Duryea, Sicily

Emer: Langford, Pittonet, Hartung

Last edited:
FF: Breust - Vickery - Puopolo
HF: Gunston - Roughead - Rioli

RR: JOM
Ro: TOM

IC: Burton, Whitecross, Duryea, Sicily

Emer: JOR, Pittonet, Schoey

My team very similar to CLA. I moved Vickery to FF as I think he will provide a very good marking option and ability to bring ball to ground for the small forward. Roughy to play a little higher up the ground, which we know he can do as can even play RR role as we have seen in the past (hoping he is back to his pre-layoff form).
Moved Gunston up higher as well and think he will be able to roam up and back to the wing and allows Breust to play small forward at feet of Vickery a bit more.
I'm worried about Hartung with his injury - being injured this time of year doesn't bode well for a good season and think JOR will gain a heap more confidence with his good mate JOM at the club and he finished 5th in the time trial. He was drafted at No2. for a reason. I also think Whitecross offers much more flexibility and his hardness will be welcome.
I'm also tempted to put Pittonet as No1. ruck by years end.
I don't think Langers has improved his disposal efficiency enough to warrant getting into the emergency column.

My team very similar to CLA. I moved Vickery to FF as I think he will provide a very good marking option and ability to bring ball to ground for the small forward. Roughy to play a little higher up the ground, which we know he can do as can even play RR role as we have seen in the past (hoping he is back to his pre-layoff form).
Moved Gunston up higher as well and think he will be able to roam up and back to the wing and allows Breust to play small forward at feet of Vickery a bit more.
I'm worried about Hartung with his injury - being injured this time of year doesn't bode well for a good season and think JOR will gain a heap more confidence with his good mate JOM at the club and he finished 5th in the time trial. He was drafted at No2. for a reason. I also think Whitecross offers much more flexibility and his hardness will be welcome.
I don't think Langers has improved his disposal efficiency enough to warrant getting into the emergency column.

Can't believe I forgot Whitey. Back to mine to make amends....

While obrien may overtake schoey, I still think one will feature in the seniors each week.

Why? Because one or both was in while there were two rucks in the team. I suppose the loss of ceglar. But addition of vickerey and possibly rough will have a bearing on that

Club will be very wary of being left short of talls again by seasons end. They'll get more time and rough may very well be eased back in

FF: Gunston - Roughead - Puopolo
HF: Breust - Vickery - Rioli

RR: O'Meara
Ro: Mitchell

IC: Burton, Whitey, Duryea, Sicily

Emer: Langford, Pittonet, Hartung
Good side.

Those to miss the 22 who have played seniors:

Howe
Langers
Hartung
JOR
Henderson
Stewart
Schoey
TOB
Fitzpatrick
Lovell
Heatherley
Hardwick

12 capable depth players and a number of them very servicable when in form.

The list is in good shape having lost 3 regulars and some depth.

If we find another player or two this season who are yet to be exposed things will be looking promising.

Pretty hard to fault this line up. Its pretty bloody decent too

Good side.

Those to miss the 22 who have played seniors:

Howe
Langers
Hartung
JOR
Henderson
Stewart
Schoey
TOB
Fitzpatrick
Lovell
Heatherley
Hardwick

12 capable depth players and a number of them very servicable when in form.

The list is in good shape having last 3 regulars and some depth.

If we find another player or two this season who are yet to be exposed things will be looking promising.
And depth on quite a few lines too

great side... i think the big question mark is our defense this yr.. became so predictable.
1 , can brand stand up on a key pos? allowing gibbo to play 3rd up and give us run
2, are we generating enough run off our half back line.. team lock down on birchall, burgoyne is the only other player with a turn of foot to break lines hit targets run of etc todays game so quick!!

Hey guys,

So is Hodge expected to play as a primary midfielder rather than someone like Burgoyne to fill the void left by S Mitchell and Lewis?

So T Mitchell and Hodge essentially replaces S Mitchell and Lewis?

Hey guys,

So is Hodge expected to play as a primary midfielder rather than someone like Burgoyne to fill the void left by S Mitchell and Lewis?

I suspect the whole thing will be changed up. The new midfield
Given maximum time to gel together. Less rotating in and out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys,

i'd say he'd play a bit like Burgoyne but a bit more in the midfield than Burgoyne

Yeap so with the change Hodge will be one of the front runners to rotate through the midfield yes?

Hodge really only spends much time in the midfield in big games, particularly in finals.
More so in Grand Finals.

Otherwise, Luke Hodge does whatever the f**k he wants.

Hodge really only spends much time in the midfield in big games, particularly in finals.
More so in Grand Finals.

Otherwise, Luke Hodge does whatever the f**k he wants.

Didn't we play him at full forward a few years back? And i swear we even threw him in the ruck a few times in 2009 when we had all those injuries. Absolute champ

Backline:
J.Gibson J.Frawley S.Burgoyne
R.Burton B.Stratton G.Birchall
Centre:
B.Hartung
L.Shiels I.Smith
Forward line:
L.Hodge J.Roughead© J.Gunston
C.Rioli T.Vickery L.Bruest
Ruck/followers:
B.McEvoy T.Mitchell J.O'Meara
Interchange:
B.Whitecross, T.Duryea K.Lovell P.Puopolo
Emergencies/Depth:
J.O'Rouke J.Sicily
D.Howe W.Langford K.Brand R.Henderson K.Stewart T.Miles M.Pittonet T.O'Brien R.Shoenmakers

The bold players are who will be fighting for the last three spots in the team, all depends on the team we come up against and what new style clarko will bring in. But this shows good depth and a good best 22. For me this squad is still contenders.

Backline:
J.Gibson J.Frawley S.Burgoyne
R.Burton B.Stratton G.Birchall
Centre:
B.Hartung
L.Shiels I.Smith
Forward line:
L.Hodge J.Roughead J.Gunston
C.Rioli T.Vickery L.Bruest
Ruck/followers:
B.McEvoy T.Mitchell J.O'Meara
Interchange:
B.Whitecross, T.Duryea K.Lovell P.Puopolo
Emergencies/Depth:
J.O'Rouke J.Sicily
D.Howe W.Langford K.Brand R.Henderson K.Stewart T.Miles M.Pittonet T.O'Brien R.Shoenmakers

The bold players are who will be fighting for the last three spots in the team, all depends on the team we come up against and what new style clarko will bring in. But this shows good depth and a good best 22. For me this squad is still contenders.
I'd say that interchange bench has too many small bodied midfielders/forwards on it, would suggest there would be a versatile KPP like Scilly, O'Brien etc in there to fill holes.

Sent from my HUAWEI RIO-L02 using Tapatalk

I'd say that interchange bench has too many small bodied midfielders/forwards on it, would suggest there would be a versatile KPP like Scilly, O'Brien etc in there to fill holes.

Sent from my HUAWEI RIO-L02 using Tapatalk
But we have roughy and gunno who can go down back when needed. So i think the bench should be small, good ball users, courageous, goal sneak and fast

Can Hodge be a super duper leader in the back half this year? Teaching young kids where it's at? This could be the ultimate Clarko master stroke. Plug him down there and rotate different young players to learn from the master. Give them some agro too

Watched some 2014 season and finals highlights yesterday.

I know we've gone over this a lot but the clips really made me miss the Langford of 2014. I am willing him back to form and into the side with all my might.

We really do have some great fringe/depth players pushing for midfield spots. I wonder if there is a specific or different role he can play.

Can Hodge be a super duper leader in the back half this year? Teaching young kids where it's at? This could be the ultimate Clarko master stroke. Plug him down there and rotate different young players to learn from the master. Give them some agro too
Hodge playing at half-back worries me against the good teams. He was never quick, but what pace he had is surely gone. HFF will push up the ground on him & run riot as extra mids.

He'll still be classy in the contest & in the air if opposition teams deliver indiscriminately but I'm worried that other contenders will play off him & burn us.

B: Gibson, Frawley, Burgoyne
HB: Birchall, Roughead (Now that he's captain, time to get the Roughie to CHB bandwagon rolling again, amirite? ;)), Hodge
C: Smith, Mitchell, Hartung
HF: Gunston, Sicily, Rioli
F: Breust, Vickery, Puopolo
Foll: McEvoy, O'Meara, Shiels
Int: (from) Duryea, Stratton, Schoenmakers, Whitecross, Burton, Pittonet, Henderson, Brand, O'Rourke, Langford, Lovell, Howe, Heatherley, Fitzpatrick, Stewart, O'Brien...

I believe we do have the depth, just that a lot of it is relatively inexperienced atm. So we might realistically be a year or two away from genuinely contending again. But then the same was said about the Bulldogs (the year or two away bit) twelve months ago...

Edited - completely forgot about TOB. :eek:

Last edited:
I'm hopeful of seeing Heatherley find a more permanent spot in the best 22 this year. Ever since seeing him play in a man game at Etihad in his first year I've been a big fan. He's aggressive, goes when his turn and reads the play well. This year with Gibson likely to be managed he should be seeing more opportunity to develop his craft at senior level.

Lovell is another I hope can really stake a claim to find a permanent position. Really like his game, he's quick, agile and has good endurance.

Howe another that could really surprise this year if he can remain injury free.

Genuinely excited for this year for very different reasons than the past few. This year we are the great unknown, we have a lot of young guys coming through and a lot of work to do. Making the 8 is probably the aim but it's very hard to predict.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back