Remove this Banner Ad

Duryea - Frawley - Stratton
Birchall - Brand - Gibson

Smith - T. Mitchell - Gunston
Big Boy - J. O'Meara - Hodge

Sicily - Roughead - Rioli
Breust - Vickery - Puopolo

Int: Burgoyne, Shiels, Burton, plus one

Based on comments from "those who watch training", I think we might find Sicily down back. So here's my revised top 22...

Duryea - Frawley - Stratton
Birchall - Gibson - Sicily
Smith - T. Mitchell - Hartung/Henderson
Gunston - Roughead - Rioli
Breust - Vickery - Puopolo

McEvoy - J. O'Meara - Sheils

Int: Burgoyne, Burton, Whitecross, Hodge

FB. Whitecross Frawley Stratton
HB. Burgoyne Gibson Burton

Ce. Henderson Mitchell Smith
Ru. McEvoy O'Meara Shiels

HF. Gunston Roughead Rioli
FF. Breust Vickery Hodge

Int. Birchall Puopolo Sicily Duryea

As much as we need one of them for structure, I'm just not quite sold on Brand or Heatherly yet at the senior level. Adding one of them to the team also means I have to get rid of another player which I was struggling to do. Depending on the oppositon team, Gibbo, Burton or even Stratton gets the second tall while one of the others gets the 3rd man up role. Whitecross, Stratton and Burgoyne are all capable of covering any dangerous smalls.

Between Breust, Rioli, Gunston and Rough I reckon there's enough there to provide plenty of forward pressure at ground level. Obviously Puopolo will come on when needed and he, Rough, Breust, Rioli and Hodge can all pinch hit in the middle when needed.

At his current age I would not expect Gibson to be covering any CHF or 2nd talls. He's best peeling off as we all know.
Not sure age is a major factor for a player defensively standing a 2nd tall. Gibbo has a fairly good tank to keep up with most tall forwards. Again, and I stress, it all depends on the opposition's forward line personnel. Obviously Gibbo's best and preferred role is as third man up, but unless Brand or Heatherly force their way into the side, I think we can suffice playing a team defence.

Between Gibson, Burton, Stratton, Hodge, Sicily etc. theres plenty of 3rd man up options to help out, no matter who is technically taking that second tall.

Very close to a 'make a or break' year for both.

Some of our young blokes like Lovell and Stewart could go past them this year.

In the meantime, T.Mitch and JOM are very capable replacements.

I have a gut feel that as a consequence, Burton will make a name for himself up forward. Just a gut feel.
I've not understood the calls for Burton at half back. Yes, we played him there in his first few games, but this is a bloke that was drawing Tredrea comparisons on his way into the club.

I've not understood the calls for Burton at half back. Yes, we played him there in his first few games, but this is a bloke that was drawing Tredrea comparisons on his way into the club.
I also would like to see him at half forward. But I do see the reasoning for him at half back. That's where our play makers tend to sit. Hodge, Mitchell, Gibson, Burgoyne, Birchall and Suckling have all spent time there setting up play with their elite kicking. It's an important position in the context of how Hawthorn plays.

Clarko has a history of putting good users behind the ball. Burton is a good user, it will be interesting to see where he does play, and where Sis plays.

Could we see the two of them rotating between the forward and back halves?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no doubts that Gunston would kill it as a half back; he does cross that patch of turf on occasion, but I wouldn't say we're playing him there.

I get the logic: Burton up forward needs to be a better option than already exists, he isn't yet but he's too good a player to leave out, play him at half back.

Another possibility: less slowpokes in the middle means (maybe) Hill/Hartung speed on the wing isn't as crucial. Perhaps Burton gets a development gig there?

Let's face it, we aren't asking Burton to win the Coleman this year.
On exposed form, he was ten times more comfortable/useful as a half back than a forward.
Sure he can develop into a gun forward in 2-3 years time.

As for Sicily, rarely do extrovert types handle the grind/discipline of a backline.
He maybe training there but I bet he's not in the backline when the real stuff starts.

Let's face it, we aren't asking Burton to win the Coleman this year.
On exposed form, he was ten times more comfortable/useful as a half back than a forward.
Sure he can develop into a gun forward in 2-3 years time.

As for Sicily, rarely do extrovert types handle the grind/discipline of a backline.
He maybe training there but I bet he's not in the backline when the real stuff starts.
I wouldn't put money on it

At his current age I would not expect Gibson to be covering any CHF or 2nd talls. He's best peeling off as we all know.

Agreed 100%. That's why for mine, once he recovers from his broken finger, Brand is straight in to CHB or covering the second best tall forward.

Very close to a 'make a or break' year for both.

Some of our young blokes like Lovell and Stewart could go past them this year.

In the meantime, T.Mitch and JOM are very capable replacements.

Yes, dont disagree just feel the club would only move on two stalwarts if they were VERY confident in the youth coming through. Would see the two acquisitions as a bonus

Yes, dont disagree just feel the club would only move on two stalwarts if they were VERY confident in the youth coming through. Would see the two acquisitions as a bonus

You are correct, sir.

O'Rourke close to best 22? Would have thought he and Hartung would have been 25% of the decision to move on Lewis and Mitch.

O'Rourke maybe as a reaplcement for Lewis (a guy who can play inside and out) although I am not sure he will even make it, but Hartung and Lewis/Mitchell have nothing in common for mine. Tom Mitchell is a possible replacement for Sam Mitchell and JOM just gives us something completely different.

Willing to see some more pre-season action before I commit to my best 22 but (pending fitness) Brand and Hartung are in my thinking at this stage. Genuinely don't understand the Hartung hate.

Willing to see some more pre-season action before I commit to my best 22 but (pending fitness) Brand and Hartung are in my thinking at this stage. Genuinely don't understand the Hartung hate.

I agree re Hartung. Played well in first JLT I thought. I can see why people have had misgivings, I just have never agreed with them. (I am however a little concerned whether he is embracing the family club culturally, just based on body language and my sixth sense).

I am one that has very high hopes for Obrien, though its becoming hard to fit all of Obrien, Siciliy, Brand, Burton, Shoe, Rough and Vickery in the one team, and with such a strong established forward line already. I recall Obrien played well in the backline last year against St kilda in Tassie (I think).

Really impressed with Miles too. His U18s footage revealed a smart decision maker with poised disposal and that's what we are getting. Hope that he plays round one.

I have to admit I was not sold on Stewart but after Friday night game I am on his bandwagon. Quick reflexes on the inside and runs the field to support.

Finally, I hope JOR makes it but just don't see it happening sadly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back