2017 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I know theres only 22 spots but i really like Stewart. He did well last year in the games he played and just looks like a bloke who's going to be a player.Hoping to see more of him this year.

Probably more like 60-40. Vickery is the new David Hale.
Really? Isn't Mcenvoy a lesser version of Stef Martin who is mediocre at taps but good around the ground and incredibly bad up forward? Surely it makes sense for Mcenvoy to play the majority of the game as the ruck and let Vickery play his natural albeit lackluster forward role?

Really? Isn't Mcenvoy a lesser version of Stef Martin who is mediocre at taps but good around the ground and incredibly bad up forward? Surely it makes sense for Mcenvoy to play the majority of the game as the ruck and let Vickery play his natural albeit lackluster forward role?
In answer to your query, you should go to the Collingwood board and stroke yourself over Daniel Wells and Chris Mayne. Oh, and Lynden Dunn. Enjoy.

142110_mcevoy.jpg

In answer to your query, you should go to the Collingwood board and stroke yourself over Daniel Wells and Chris Mayne. Oh, and Lynden Dunn. Enjoy.

142110_mcevoy.jpg
I wasn't having a go at you or these players, not sure where your hostility is coming from.

Now, can I get a sensible response?

From listening to Hodge Friday night id be very surprised if Teia Miles isnt named round 1, in fact Hodge said something along the lines of 'He will play early in the season' regarding Miles.

I think he could well be ahead of the Whitecross, Henderson, Hartung maybe even Duryea or if not challenging right next to them.

Hartung is a different role and will play pretty much the full season. WhiteX is ahead and will play if fit. A fit and healthy WhiteX is a thing to behold.

Duryea and Miles are most likely competing for a spot.

Not sure what role Clarko has for Henderson. Hope we find out this week.

So who's gonna help him out? Vickery?

Am I correct in saying that he will go from 50-50 ruck-fwd to something like 75-25 ruck-fwd this year. So he goes from equally sharing ruck with Ceglar to being the primary ruck with Vickery supporting him?

No, you're not. Vickery is a better ruckman than most give him credit for, myself included.

Probably more like 60-40. Vickery is the new David Hale.

This, to answer the query.

"Incredibly bad"? I suggest you do 5 minutes of research and you could answer these questions all by yourself. Is he the best forward in the game? No. Is he a REALLY reliable set shot combined with a good set of hands? Yep.

Also, please learn how to spell "McEvoy".

It's a harsh but fair summary.

McEvoy is not a great ruck or forward but does ok at both. I think we expected his value to improve with the changes to the interchange cap but I haven't seen it.

That said Hawthorn appear to be trailing a tall forward line in 2017 so this may work in his favour.

Vickery is, as you say, a useless ruck and at best adequate forward. He looked competitive in the first JLT game but I'd like more evidence.

Hawthorn may not be competitive in the hitouts but that's nothing unusual for us; we usually win our share of clearances regardless (except against stupid good sides like GWS)

i thought vickery showed a bit in the ruck.. see how things go
I know theres only 22 spots but i really like Stewart. He did well last year in the games he played and just looks like a bloke who's going to be a player.Hoping to see more of him this year.

agree i think he will he get a crack.. not much in it between lovell langford and stewart would like to see the young blokes get a crack..jor still unknown..
would have whitey ahead of the pack first on ball change or wing then who ever is in form

Hale was rarely no 1 ruck. McEvoy will be the no 1 ruck. Vickery will either start forward or on the pine depending on matchups and switch into the ruck to give McEvoy a rest.

I thought Vickery showed plenty on Friday night and if Clarko can use him in the ruck exclusively against the oppositions 2nd stringer he will go very nicely ;)

Duryea is a better tackler and has an excellent vertical leap, on plenty of occasions he has spoiled a ball destined for a key forward by out jumping them. But he's making a lot of offensive mistakes. He's ahead of Miles for now, but 2 more performances like the Geelong game from both gentlemen and Duryea should be nervous about his selection prospects for round 1.
Also Duryea can do this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm most excited to see what Miles, Lovell, O'Rourke and Stewart can provide this year to give that glimpse of a future midfield.

That's some handy depth, looking for spots.

That's without looking at others like Brand, Heatherley, O'Brien and Hardwick.

We do have a lot of players who will be fighting for spots. Even older blokes like Schoe, Whitey and Henderson too.

I'm most excited to see what Miles, Lovell, O'Rourke and Stewart can provide this year to give that glimpse of a future midfield.

That's some handy depth, looking for spots.

That's without looking at others like Brand, Heatherley, O'Brien and Hardwick.

We do have a lot of players who will be fighting for spots. Even older blokes like Schoe, Whitey and Henderson too.

I've put a line through

JOR
O'Brien

Rest I'm excited about

I've put a line through

JOR
O'Brien

Rest I'm excited about
I think its foolish to put a line through Jono.

JOR- Had a decent year, at the start of 2016 he was looking promising, got his hamstring injury and just delayed his progression again then came back and played from round 17-20. His stats show he has stuff to work with. Don't forget this guy has only played 18 games for his career 9 in the last 2 seasons, in a strong hawthorn outfit. Not everyone turns into an A-Grade talent. I think a lot of people will be happy with him being a B-Grade talent player who averages 20 disposals a game.

Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 10.58.58 pm.png

I think its foolish to put a line through Jono.

JOR- Had a decent year, at the start of 2016 he was looking promising, got his hamstring injury and just delayed his progression again then came back and played from round 17-20. His stats show he has stuff to work with. Don't forget this guy has only played 18 games for his career 9 in the last 2 seasons, in a strong hawthorn outfit. Not everyone turns into an A-Grade talent. I think a lot of people will be happy with him being a B-Grade talent player who averages 20 disposals a game.

View attachment 338727

U call it foolish
I call it being a realist

Have not seen 1 AFL type quality where he can make it. I want to. I so want to. Just not seeing it

Hartung is a different role and will play pretty much the full season. WhiteX is ahead and will play if fit. A fit and healthy WhiteX is a thing to behold.

Duryea and Miles are most likely competing for a spot.

Not sure what role Clarko has for Henderson. Hope we find out this week.

Hodgey said half back/wing for Teia which is Hartungs role in regards to Wing

U call it foolish
I call it being a realist

Have not seen 1 AFL type quality where he can make it. I want to. I so want to. Just not seeing it
Agreed. JOR is so vanilla and has no outstanding qualities. He is a D grader atm and we need him to become a decent B grader. Just can't see it.

I'm excited by Burton, Stewart etc but JOR does nothing for me.

Prove me wrong JOR please. We need quality midfield depth. Huge weakness in our side atm.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Hale was rarely no 1 ruck. McEvoy will be the no 1 ruck. Vickery will either start forward or on the pine depending on matchups and switch into the ruck to give McEvoy a rest.

I thought Vickery showed plenty on Friday night and if Clarko can use him in the ruck exclusively against the oppositions 2nd stringer he will go very nicely ;)

Whilst Hale wasn't number one ruck, played very much as forward/ ruckman was it just me or did others feel that he was usually better in the bounces than BB.

Whilst he wasn't dominant I rarely felt he had his colours lowered as sometimes happened with BB.

Vickery looked ok in his tapwork early on so somewhat encouraged by that.

With Ceglar out and Pittonet getting dealt with harshly it is actually rather important that TV can be a Hale like presence in the ruck.

I'm glad we got him.

Anyone else think Conor Glass might push for a gamy late in the season. I hope he gets a run next week against North.

He should get a crack at JLT for a taste of senior footy.
I'd be happy to see him progress to a very good level at Box Hill with an eye on best 22 in 2018.
If he gets a senior game, that would be a massive bonus!

Our best will match it with anyone in the league IMO, we will be inconsistent though as we lack midfield depth and because of the high numbers of players that run through the midfield in the modern game we will have lulls at certain times in certain games this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back