2017 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I've put a line through

JOR
O'Brien

Rest I'm excited about
jlaw-whtvr.gif

Our best will match it with anyone in the league IMO, we will be inconsistent though as we lack midfield depth and because of the high numbers of players that run through the midfield in the modern game we will have lulls at certain times in certain games this season.
Having Rough go through there and more fwds to allow Rioli/Pops to go in the guts will help.

Likewise Langers can rotate fwd as can JOM and TOM

Whilst Hale wasn't number one ruck, played very much as forward/ ruckman was it just me or did others feel that he was usually better in the bounces than BB.

Whilst he wasn't dominant I rarely felt he had his colours lowered as sometimes happened with BB.

Vickery looked ok in his tapwork early on so somewhat encouraged by that.

With Ceglar out and Pittonet getting dealt with harshly it is actually rather important that TV can be a Hale like presence in the ruck.

I'm glad we got him.
Hale was the better footballer for mine. Better ruck, better around the ground, better up forward and a smarter footballer.
Did so many little team things. Also did his best work when kept fresh and by the end was struggling to stay fresh.
McEvoy by and large can take the pounding for 4 quarters and keep going, he's the work horse that lets other impact and saves the coaches some substitutions.

Last year he played hurt a lot and was far from his best but did what was needed for the team mostly.

When he's on he's very good but too often seems happy to plod and do just enough

Hale couldn't jump towards the latter stages of his career. McEvoy was the best mover of the two and could go sit in the hole in the back 50, while Hale was clearly the better option forward. I feel like McEvoy is criminally underrated by most. Again, I'm not suggesting he's a star but he works bloody hard and is a super shot for goal (12.1 and 11.6 in the last two seasons).

Agree with Gralin, in that he is a workhorse. He's a Test cricketer in a T20 world. Chris Rogers-esque. Sad that those qualities are very rarely recognised these days.

McEvoy was the best mover of the two and could go sit in the hole in the back 50.
This.

Seems every coach is looking for ruckmen who can also play forward and kick a few goals, which is fine. But why isn't it as highly regarded if said ruckman can play down back and stop a few goals instead, ala McEvoy?

Not many Ruckman at all in the league have this trait...

FB: Stratton - Frawley - Duryea
HB: Burgoyne - Gibson - Birchall
C: Smith - Hodge - O'Meara
R: McEvoy - Mitchell - Shiels
HF: Gunston - Schoenmakers - Bruest
FF: Rioli - Roughead - Puopolo
I/C: Vickery - Whitecross - Burton - Hartung
Emergency: Sicily - Brand - Langford

This is an awesome line up and you can see why Mitchell and Lewis were moved on. Langford and O'Rourke didn't get a look in and they could both earn a spot in the side.

Last edited:
I/C: Vickery - Burgoyne - Whitecross - Burton
Emergency: Sicily - Hartung - Brand

This is an awesome line up and you can see why Mitchell and Lewis were moved on. I didn't even mention Langford and O'Rourke and they could both earn a spot in the side. The bench is ridiculous.
Peter Burgoyne will be a bit rusty I think. Might need to bring him back through the magoo's

I/C: Vickery - Whitecross - Burton - Hartung
Emergency: Sicily - Brand - Langford

This is an awesome line up and you can see why Mitchell and Lewis were moved on. Langford and O'Rourke didn't get a look in and they could both earn a spot in the side.

Just not convinced Gibbo can hold down CHB these days. Expect Brand to play there.

Just not convinced Gibbo can hold down CHB these days. Expect Brand to play there.
Very true...still one big man short down back...need another Lake...
how do you think a backline of Frawley, Gibson, Stratton,Birchall, Duryea & Burgoyne would go against Patton, Cameron, Lobb, Greene, Stevie J and Deledio...holding a team with that forward line to anything under 25 goals would be a miracle.

how do you think a backline of Frawley, Gibson, Stratton,Birchall, Duryea & Burgoyne would go against Patton, Cameron, Lobb, Greene, Stevie J and Deledio...holding a team with that forward line to anything under 25 goals would be a miracle.
Depends how our mids and forwards go

Interested in your views on Brand then, I gather you don't rate him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibson Frawley Burgoyne
Hodge Stratton Birchall
Smith Omeara Langford
Rioli Roughead Breust
Pupolo Vickery Gunston
Mcevoy Mitchell Sheils

Whitecross Sicily Duryea Burton

I think we should give Langers a good 2 month run to make or break him. Would be great if he became automatic selection.

Gibson Frawley Burgoyne
Hodge Stratton Birchall
Smith Omeara Langford
Rioli Roughead Breust
Pupolo Vickery Gunston
Mcevoy Mitchell Sheils

Whitecross Sicily Duryea Burton

I think we should give Langers a good 2 month run to make or break him. Would be great if he became automatic selection.

I'd like to see a sustained run in the fwd half swapping on ball myself.
He's a reasonable shot on goal off a set shot & I think if he can ramp up his fwd pressure & kick a goal or two every game along with good midfield minutes without fumbling or scrubbing kicks, it would go a long way to making him a lock 22.

If anyone is wondering who's spot he takes in this scenario it's Poppy. Replicating Poppy's pressure would be difficult but getting similar pressure & having a better midfield rotation makes it a done deal for me.

I'd like to see a sustained run in the fwd half swapping on ball myself.
He's a reasonable shot on goal off a set shot & I think if he can ramp up his fwd pressure & kick a goal or two every game along with good midfield minutes without fumbling or scrubbing kicks, it would go a long way to making him a lock 22.

If anyone is wondering who's spot he takes in this scenario it's Poppy. Replicating Poppy's pressure would be difficult but getting similar pressure & having a better midfield rotation makes it a done deal for me.
I like the first half of this post but not the second half.

Poppy stays in. Duryea, as much as I actually think he goes alright, would probably make way for mine in this scenario. Definitely agree with playing Langers forward more, and rotating with all of Breust, Rioli and Poppy into the midfiled.

Last edited:
I lile the first half of this post but not the second half.

Poppy stays in. Duryea, as much as I actually think he goes alright, would probably make way for mine in this scenario. Definitely agree with playing Langers forward more, and rotating with all of Breust, Rioli and Poppy into the midfiled.
Poppy isn't loosing his spot any time soon. I just think he is the only fwd that is possible if being displaced from a starting side by Langford.
I'm not going to pick on Doc anymore.. he's not best 22 IMO

The unknowns in the bottom part of our best 30 players make this task so hard, but at the same time so fun, specially when compared to previous years

Having Rough go through there and more fwds to allow Rioli/Pops to go in the guts will help.

Likewise Langers can rotate fwd as can JOM and TOM

My comment , I think we will be much much better than the world thought last September, we will be very dangerous and once again a undercurrent of Hawthorn belief will refire, and other clubs will quiver .

Its all between the ears, at Hawthorn.

Hodge, Frawley, Whitex
Sicily, Brand, Stratts
Smith, Sheils, Burger
Rioli, Roughy, Gunner
Breust, vickery, Poppy
McEvoy, JOM, TOM

Int: Burton, Birchell, Hartung, Stewart.
Emg: Gibbo, Jor, Langers.

Slightly different team but:
1. They clearly want Siss down back to play the intercept and run off role.
2. Brand isn't the best but we'll get monstered without his height
3. Gibbo on last legs
4. Burton gives flexibility
5. Hartung and Stewart give run

Maybe he's not quite at his best yet but his decision making in particular was awful yesterday. I didn't think he was super last year either for what it's worth.

Maybe he's not quite at his best yet but his decision making in particular was awful yesterday. I didn't think he was super last year either for what it's worth.

Averaged 8 1%ers per game last year. The end of the season certainly wasn't close to being as good as the start - but he wasn't bad all season like some are suggesting.

Averaged 8 1%ers per game last year. The end of the season certainly wasn't close to being as good as the start - but he wasn't bad all season like some are suggesting.
No he wasn't, and looking good at all last season or during the North practice game with the inconsistent midfield (just gelling together this time around though) is always very difficult for a defender. Frawley, Stratton, Birchall, Duryea, I challenge anyone to say they had consistent seasons. I don't think it's their fault.

Hodge, Frawley, Whitex
Sicily, Brand, Stratts
Smith, Sheils, Burger
Rioli, Roughy, Gunner
Breust, vickery, Poppy
McEvoy, JOM, TOM

Int: Burton, Birchell, Hartung, Stewart.
Emg: Gibbo, Jor, Langers.

Slightly different team but:
1. They clearly want Siss down back to play the intercept and run off role.
2. Brand isn't the best but we'll get monstered without his height
3. Gibbo on last legs
4. Burton gives flexibility
5. Hartung and Stewart give run

I think this 22 will be closest to the pin and I pretty much agree with all 5 points. Depending on the oppo I still think Gibson will probably play more than not but I would like to see his spot put under pressure by Brand.

Hartung first on the chopping block if JOR, Duryea or Langford are bashing the door down.

* me that forward line looks lethal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back