2017 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

He's Clarko's insurance though at either end. Will be interesting to see who makes way for Hodge and whether they are prepared to give anyone else a try this week.

Hes also marginally useful in the ruck should BB get hurt. No way TV can last a full game there. So he is a backup even just for 2 or 3 min breathers.

And as much as he may get mocked, he is a sublime kick.

Yes I love clarkos savagery this week but still a bit worried about the height down back

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don't like the savagery. I wouldn't like to see the stats on how many teams have made four changes and then won the next game.

I'm sad about Schoenmakers. He is a shocker when brought in and out of the team - his only good footy is when he's played consistently. He might have lost his last chance for a spot in the best 22. Billy and Duryea will be back. I'm annoyed we've dropped Sicily - he's the youngest of them all - and what did Clarkson expect when giving him a new role? Of course he'll be a bit lost. Very harsh, I feel.

Of course I feel good about our ins. Miles worries me though, looked nervous down back in JLT.

I don't like the savagery. I wouldn't like to see the stats on how many teams have made four changes and then won the next game.

I'm sad about Schoenmakers. He is a shocker when brought in and out of the team - his only good footy is when he's played consistently. He might have lost his last chance for a spot in the best 22. Billy and Duryea will be back. I'm annoyed we've dropped Sicily - he's the youngest of them all - and what did Clarkson expect when giving him a new role? Of course he'll be a bit lost. Very harsh, I feel.

Of course I feel good about our ins. Miles worries me though, looked nervous down back in JLT.

Yeah I agree these players are the types that need consistent footy but Clarko needs to make this statement, no one has a guaranteed spot in this team and these young players do deserve a spot in the team

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

so just quickly i think hartung should be one the of the first picked with smith..given our team defincey
back 6 is a major worry, few options here young guns half back or half fwd..

Stratts Frawley whitecross
Sicily Brand Burton
Hartung Omeara Smith
Breust Roughead Stewart
Silk Gunston Poppy
??? mitchell Shiels
Hodge,Stewart,Lovell,Schoey

option 2 (changes things up a bit but ey why not)
keep burton and sicily in there natural pos..
i think the fwd line can carry no roughead.. provided sicily burton and gunston are in it??
Stratts Frawley Duryea
Smith brand/Rough Rioli
Hartung Omeara Shiels
Sicily Gunston Burton
Silk Schoey Breust
??? Mitchell Lovell

hodge,stewart,lovell,poppy

Last edited:
FB Hardwick Frawley Stratton
HB Burton Brand Birchall
C Smith Mitchell O'Rourke
HF Hodge Roughead Rioli
FF Breust Gunston O'Brien
F McEvoy Shiels O'Meara
Int: Sicily, Puopolo, Burgoyne, Hartung

Hands up those that said they didn't want Birchall in the best 22 in 2017, time to come out and admit he's still a key part of the side.
I think I probably excluded him from at least one of the sides I put in here. Definitely showed he's a key cog in the backline last night. Very happy to be proven wrong.

Hands up those that said they didn't want Birchall in the best 22 in 2017, time to come out and admit he's still a key part of the side.

Birchall was good! He will command a good trade price if someone comes knocking.
On that form & consistency being the key for the rest of the year he is a lock to hold his spot with Gibbo out.
We looked fast off half back with Hardwick Brand Doc Sicily Burton Birchall.
Is there a need for a KPD?
Lever did look good btw

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really excited to hear that Lovell is getting close! Apparently he's been in skills training for a few weeks now - and we know he's done a lot of running.

I'd love for Clarko to bring him straight into the senior side. Probably won't happen. But pre-season he was one I was most excited about, along with Jom and Tom

Not fussed if he does not play until the last couple of games, but would like to see him play the last couple out of respect for what he's done for this club.

Round 19 at the G against his old mate would be a great farewell in my opinion. It's our last home game at the MCG and would be a fitting way to see him off, with a big win against ol' Bud.

Might have a crack at a revised best 22. Assuming all players fit and we are playing the grand final tomorrow:

B: Hardwick Frawley Stratton
HB: Burton Brand Hodge
C: Smith Mitchell Henderson
HF: O'Brien Schoenmakers Gunston
F: Rioli Roughead Breust
Foll: McEvoy, O'Meara, Burgoyne
Int: Ceglar, Shiels, Sicily, Duryea

Was really hard to leave out Howe in favour of Shiels
Gibbo wasn't so hard to leave out, having Burton and Sicily playing in the back half spoiling, marking and rebounding seems to be working for us. Put Brand in ahead of Gibbo because he gets how to spoil and doesn't get caught with the footy.

Hey guys - remember Rioli?

Might have a crack at a revised best 22. Assuming all players fit and we are playing the grand final tomorrow:

Gibbo wasn't so hard to leave out, having Burton and Sicily playing in the back half spoiling, marking and rebounding seems to be working for us. Put Brand in ahead of Gibbo because he gets how to spoil and doesn't get caught with the footy.

Nice - I like it.

I really like the Half Forward line - very dynamic, and great ball use for tall men.

No Birch? I thought Birchall was pretty important in Adelaide and then against Collingwood... But I guess Stratton can lock down a player in a way that Birchall does not. Hard calls to make.

Probably agree that Shiels just edges out Howe, but not sure I will still think that at seasons end.

I miss Rioli.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back