Banter 2017 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we have three decent mids in Menegola, Guthrie and S.Selwood. Blicavs could be good too if we get his role right and maybe Cockatoo can lift.

The 22 I would like to see line-up Round 1:

FB: Bews - Taylor - Kolodjashnij
HB: Tuohy - Henderson - Thurlow
C: Guthrie - Menegola - Duncan
HF: Menzel - Stanley - Cockatoo
FF: McCarthy - Hawkins - Motlop

R: Smith - Dangerfield - J. Selwood
INT: S. Selwood - Stewart - Lang - Blicavs

My Preferences

Defence: Think that's a well balanced defence. 2 tall defenders, Kolo 3rd defender with Tuohy, Thurlow & Bews proving run + good ball use out of defensive 50.

Midfield: A full pre-season into Menegola & Scooter will help a lot, Scooter keeps tagging while Menegola helps Dangerwood in the contested ball. Then Guthrie & Duncan on the wings to provide good ball use inside 50, then guys like Blicavs, Lang & Cockatoo rotating through there.

Rucks: I'm a bit 50/50 on this, think with another full pre-season Smith & Stanley will improve for us, but at same time think our team would be better balanced with only one of them rucking. If Lonergan is out it means Taylor can keep playing defence which opens up a spot for Stanley to play CHF while Smith rucks, but if Lonergan plays then Taylor might have to switch to CHF a bit in which case I think only one of Smith/Stanley should be playing otherwise we'll be too tall.

Forwards: Again think this forward line is much more exciting & better balance. Compared to guys like Caddy & Bartel playing up there who won't provide any pressure & if they don't mark it we would be screwed. At least with this forward line it again has the 2 talls in Hawkins & Stanley to provide contests & hopefully mark the ball otherwise just bring it to ground, Menzel the 3rd forward Fantastic overhead with another full preseason will be bossing it, and then you have Cockatoo, McCarthy & Motlop providing the forward 50 pressure & goal sense, which I have a bit more faith in now after seeing Motlop has been keeping in shape this off-season, plus another preseason into Cockatoo & McCarthy, then look out.

- I would rather have Lonergan out to help with team balance, with him out Kolodjashnij can take the 3rd tall spot which he is much much better at instead of having to take smalls. Also with Lonergan out it means Taylor can play FB, Smith in Ruck & Stanley CHF which I feel is our best setup.

- Don't want to see Mackie playing many senior games this year to be honest sorry, Thurlow's back, Tuohy's in, Stewart's in, plus we have someone like Cunico who I really hope can develop well in 2017 to push for senior selection.

- I can see GHS, Cunico, Gardner, Parsons, Parfitt, Murdoch, Black, Gregson, all pushing hard for games in 2017 which will be nice to see! (Possibly a couple others I'm forgetting too).

I should finish by saying I don't actually think this is how the team will look Round 1 2017... I fully expect both Lonergan & Mackie to be playing, just the 22 that I named is in my opinion the best 22 to win games of footy in 2017, so we'll see what they go with! Bring on 2017! :D

I like our defense better without both Mackie and Taylor.

Some hard calls need to be made.

We have plenty of options which is a good sign.

- Don't want to see Mackie playing many senior games this year to be honest sorry, Thurlow's back, Tuohy's in, Stewart's in, plus we have someone like Cunico who I really hope can develop well in 2017 to push for senior selection.

I should finish by saying I don't actually think this is how the team will look Round 1 2017... I fully expect both Lonergan & Mackie to be playing, just the 22 that I named is in my opinion the best 22 to win games of footy in 2017, so we'll see what they go with! Bring on 2017! :D

Don't have to apologise. Many of us think he should have been paid out and retired at the end of this season. He was woeful in the finals. But I think you're probably correct - Scott will play him and we'll consequently have a less than ideal back six.

Post draft. Interesting to see the depth.

KPD: Taylor, Lonergan, Henderson, Gardner
Med/3rd tall defender: Mackie, Kolodjashnij, Stewart, Thurlow
Half back/Small Def: Tuohy, Bews, Ruggles, Z.Guthrie, Cunico, Cowan.
Inside Mid: Dangerfield, J.Selwood, S.Selwood, Menegola, Horlin-Smith.
Outside Mid: Duncan, Guthrie, Lang, Narkle, Cockatoo, Murdoch, Parsons, Parfitt.
Small forward: Gregson, McCarthy, Hayball, Jones, Motlop.
Med/3rd tall: House, Menzel, Henry, Black
Key forward: Hawkins, Ratugolea, Buzza,
Ruck: Smith, Stanley, Blicavs, Abbott.

Mark O'Çonnor is clearly the unknown as it's not exactly clear where he may or can play. As a note, I am aware some players can play in more than one position type. Tall forward is still rather thin. Need to look for Hawkins replacement in the next 24 months.
My guess is that we'll replace Hawkins when the time comes through trading/ FA rather than draft a kid with the aim of him replacing Hawkins when he eventually hangs up the boots.

Cunico is a bit of a forgotten man but as a running wing type could be exactly what we need. He's a classic example of a guy that wasn't ready to play football against men and seems like we broke him but coming into his 3rd pre-season hopefully he's physically ready to play and able to get through the pre-season uninjured. The kids got great foot skills and a knack for finding space.
I agree, I think Cunico is a class player, he's not a battler. He looks ideal for the wing. He could even play HBF or HFF, as he can mark overhead also.

The 22 I would like to see line-up Round 1:

FB: Bews - Taylor - Kolodjashnij
HB: Tuohy - Henderson - Thurlow
C: Guthrie - Menegola - Duncan
HF: Menzel - Stanley - Cockatoo
FF: McCarthy - Hawkins - Motlop

R: Smith - Dangerfield - J. Selwood
INT: S. Selwood - Stewart - Lang - Blicavs

My Preferences

Defence: Think that's a well balanced defence. 2 tall defenders, Kolo 3rd defender with Tuohy, Thurlow & Bews proving run + good ball use out of defensive 50.

Midfield: A full pre-season into Menegola & Scooter will help a lot, Scooter keeps tagging while Menegola helps Dangerwood in the contested ball. Then Guthrie & Duncan on the wings to provide good ball use inside 50, then guys like Blicavs, Lang & Cockatoo rotating through there.

Rucks: I'm a bit 50/50 on this, think with another full pre-season Smith & Stanley will improve for us, but at same time think our team would be better balanced with only one of them rucking. If Lonergan is out it means Taylor can keep playing defence which opens up a spot for Stanley to play CHF while Smith rucks, but if Lonergan plays then Taylor might have to switch to CHF a bit in which case I think only one of Smith/Stanley should be playing otherwise we'll be too tall.

Forwards: Again think this forward line is much more exciting & better balance. Compared to guys like Caddy & Bartel playing up there who won't provide any pressure & if they don't mark it we would be screwed. At least with this forward line it again has the 2 talls in Hawkins & Stanley to provide contests & hopefully mark the ball otherwise just bring it to ground, Menzel the 3rd forward Fantastic overhead with another full preseason will be bossing it, and then you have Cockatoo, McCarthy & Motlop providing the forward 50 pressure & goal sense, which I have a bit more faith in now after seeing Motlop has been keeping in shape this off-season, plus another preseason into Cockatoo & McCarthy, then look out.

- I would rather have Lonergan out to help with team balance, with him out Kolodjashnij can take the 3rd tall spot which he is much much better at instead of having to take smalls. Also with Lonergan out it means Taylor can play FB, Smith in Ruck & Stanley CHF which I feel is our best setup.

- I can see GHS, Cunico, Gardner, Parsons, Parfitt, Murdoch, Black, Gregson, all pushing hard for games in 2017 which will be nice to see! (Possibly a couple others I'm forgetting too).

Mines very close to this. I still have Gregson for Stewart at this stage, but he's my first drop. Nice write up.

Some big changes to the list this year when you consider who's left.

FB: Tuohy, Lonergan, Taylor
CHB: Thurlow, Henderson, Guthrie
C: S. Selwood, Dangerfield, Menegola
CHF: Motlop, Stanley, Cockatoo
FF: McCarthy, Hawkins, Menzel
R: Smith, J. Selwood, Duncan

I/C: Cowan, Bews, Blicavs, Parfitt

Last edited:
I'll I can say is that I hope Stewart is as good as everyone is predicting. He seems to be in most people's best 22. There's a fair bit of group think in that I reckon.

I don't think we drafted him to be playing backup. I'd say that while Tuohy definitely takes Enright's spot, it's a fair bet that Stewart will do the same with Mackie, maybe not from the start of the year, but at some stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, I think Cunico is a class player, he's not a battler. He looks ideal for the wing. He could even play HBF or HFF, as he can mark overhead also.

I liked to see how he goes now that he's a bit bigger. I agree with your assessment but it's hard to be a hard nut with toothpicks for arms and legs.

FB:Bews, Lonergan, Kolo
CHB: Thurlow, Henderson, Tuohy
C: Duncan,J.Selwood,Cockatoo
CHF: Motlop, Taylor, Menzel
FF: McCarthy, Hawkins, Gregson
R: Smith, Dangerfield,C.Guthrie

I/C:Stanley.Menegola,Ruggles,S.Selwood.

I reckon that side will kick you 100 points most weeks and defend pretty well.

No new faces in there except for 2E.Preseason will have the last say.

No Mackie or Blitz,can't see Scotty doing that.I expect both will play rd1.

Taylor as a forward, I think we should attack the season there's no prize for second.

I'll I can say is that I hope Stewart is as good as everyone is predicting. He seems to be in most people's best 22. There's a fair bit of group think in that I reckon.

Yeah I'm afraid I don't see it. I'm not sure that any of Lonergan, Taylor, Henderson, Kolodjashnij, Mackie, Ruggles, Bews, and Cowan are going to be pushed aside to accommodate him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back