Banter 2017 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Mackie out for Thurlow. Taylor to chf/ff. Blicavs second ruck meaning one of smith/Stanley missing...
I'd be inclined to leave out all 3 of Mackie, Taylor and Blicavs. Of course it won't happen and we'll struggle again in the finals with all 3 as part of the team.

We need 3 decent midfielders below Selwood/Danger. Thankfully Menegola is looking like he'll surpass both of them. We need a new forward line, and probably a new defense after our recent retirements or at least in the next 1-2 years.

Our team isn't bad except on a flag contention level it's really just Selwood and Danger. Now we don't have Enright. If it were a perfect world we'd ideally be looking to replace 10 or so players in our current 22 with better ones.

I remember during our flag era I didn't give a s**t about draftees as our team had stars on every line. The mere fact I am desperate for a good player to come through the draft tells me everything subconsciously.

Menegola they guy onto his third club 8 games is going to surpass the reigning brownlow medalist and our club captain. Wow hope your right

No need for hope. I just know he will.
images

Ive heard that Thuoy wants to play midfield. Could Scott Selwood work off half back
He could but Thouy can think of himself as midfielder down back if he wants. We need some reb50 penetration from defence which is why we got him. A'la Wojo, Enright or Mackie of yesteryear.

I'd be inclined to leave out all 3 of Mackie, Taylor and Blicavs. Of course it won't happen and we'll struggle again in the finals with all 3 as part of the team.

I have all 3 in my best 22 for round 1 (Mackie is borderline), but all playing different roles to last year.
Taylor forward, Blicavs second ruck and Mackie wing/ half forward.

By the end of the year my hope would be Taylor has become a viable second key target, Blicavs is a legitimate weapon as a second ruck/half forward and Mackie has been replaced by somebody else.

Although I agree that we'll just see more of the same.

I don't think we drafted him to be playing backup. I'd say that while Tuohy definitely takes Enright's spot, it's a fair bet that Stewart will do the same with Mackie, maybe not from the start of the year, but at some stage.
I agree that I don't necessarily think that we've drafted him just for some extra depth but I still think that he will be made to earn his spot just like Menegola was. When you have a strong team you can afford these luxuries. There wasn't enough accountability last season and I'm hoping that next year Scott and the rest of the MC will hold players more accountable both from the pov of retaining their spot and also earning it. Anyway, I digress.

If Stewart is good enough he'll work his way into our best 22 before too long but would I have him in our best 22 now or even at the beginning of the season? No way.

Don't forget we also have Thurlow who we need to find a spot for somewhere aswell.

I agree that I don't necessarily think that we've drafted him just for some extra depth but I still think that he will be made to earn his spot just like Menegola was. When you have a strong team you can afford these luxuries. There wasn't enough accountability last season and I'm hoping that next year Scott and the rest of the MC will hold players more accountable both from the pov of retaining their spot and also earning it. Anyway, I digress.

If Stewart is good enough he'll work his way into our best 22 before too long but would I have him in our best 22 now or even at the beginning of the season? No way.

Don't forget we also have Thurlow who we need to find a spot for somewhere aswell.

Depending on his pre-season form I'd certainly give Stewart a chance to usurp Mackie from round one. Mackie finished last season very poorly and showed distinct signs of being "finished". If he was to come back from the break without being re-invigorated then I think he's probably playing VFL for most of the year.

I reckon we should drop Blicavs, Mackie, and Motlop (depending on form) play Thouy and Cocky rotating between half back/half forward and midfield, get little JJ up in the forward line.
This would be my team.
B: Bews, Lonergan, Kolo
HB: Thurlow, Henderson, Thouy
C: S.Selwood, Duncan, Menegola
HF: Cockatoo, Taylor, Menzel
F: Linc, Hawk, JJ
R: Smith, Dangerfield, Selwood
I/C: Guthrie, Gregson, Stanley, Cowan,

Last edited:
I reckon we should drop Blicavs, Mackie, and Motlop (depending on form) play Thouy and Cocky rotating between half back/half forward and midfield, get little JJ up in the forward line.
This would be my team.
B: Bews, Lonergan, Kolo
HB: Thurlow, Henderson, Thouy
C: S.Selwood, Duncan, Menegola
HF: Cockatoo, Taylor, Menzel
F: Linc, Hawk, JJ
R: Smith, Dangerfield, Selwood
I/C: Gregson, Stanley, Cowan, one of Motlop/Lang/Parfitt

Jared Jansen was traded a couple of years back. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see both sides of the argument, but given that he turned the game in our one winning final, I can't see them moving him away from there. If another small defender was the requirement you'd think that was addressed by Tuohy.
I do agree that the MC will play him more in the midfield than down back next season but personally I'd rather see Cocky and Lang spend some time in there.

What's that saying? Short term pain for long term gain?

Yeah I'm afraid I don't see it. I'm not sure that any of Lonergan, Taylor, Henderson, Kolodjashnij, Mackie, Ruggles, Bews, and Cowan are going to be pushed aside to accommodate him.
Honestly, I'm not sure how good he's going to be at AFL level but one thing I do believe is that he should be made to earn his spot before he's included in the 22.

B: Ruggles Lonergan Kolodjashnij
HB: Thurlow Henderson Stewart
C: Thuoy J.Selwood S.Selwood
HF: Menengola Taylor Cockatoo
F: Menzel Hawkins Motlop
R: Smith Dangerfield Guthrie
I: Duncan McCarthy Blicavs Cunico

B: Tuohy Lonergan Henderson
HB: Mackie Taylor Thurlow
C: Guthrie Menegola Duncan
HF: Motlop Stanley Cockatoo
F: Menzel Hawkins McCarthy
Foll: Smith Dangerfield J Selwood
I: Blicavs S Selwood Cowan Lang
E: Kolo Bews Stewart

Comments:

* In the preseason I'd like to see the club try a few different options as the second key forward: Stanley, Taylor, Mackie and Black.

* I'm confident Stewart will get a chance to show his skills in 2017, but I'm reluctant to select him (or any other player yet to make their debut) in the best 22 without demonstrating success at AFL level.

Anyway it is put I am excited to see what 2017 holds
This year we kinda a bit short on choices defensively..

and as such we went taller more often than not.

Now, at least, we have more mid sized options. IT will be interesting to see the mix we go with. Im looking forward to the new faces, and the old ones, getting back to it... well... in 2 months anyway..

GO Catters

FB Stewart Kolodjashnij Thurlow
HB Tuohy Henderson Guthrie
C Duncan Selwood Lang
HF Motlop Taylor Gregson
FF Menzel Hawkins McCarthy
Fol Stanley Dangerfield Menegola
Int Blicavs S.Selwood Cockatoo Ruggles
Round 1 average age 25 years 92 days
Total experience 1931 games.

Lonergan Smith Mackie
Cowan Murdoch Bews Horlin-Smith
Parsons Cunico

Last edited:
I'd go

FB Bews Taylor Tuohy
HB Guthrie Henderson Thurlow
C Lang Duncan Cowan
HF Motlop Menzel Cocky
FF McCarthy Hawkins Gregson
R Smith Selwood Dangerfield
I Stanley Menegola S Selwood Stewart

would prefer a CHF for structure but i doubt any of our fresh meat would be serviceable just yet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back