Banter 2017 - Best 22

I gave boris some DJ lessons last nigh before an event we are playing New Year's Day. He reckons Parfitt right to go round 1, and thurlow isn't an automatic selection.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Easy.
Stanley FP
Smith Ruck
Blicavs CHB
My preferred option anyway.
And who plays and where out of kolo, henderson, taylor and lonergan if we have blicavs at centre half back. You do know blicavs has never played centre half back right and we currently have some of the best key defenders in the league already?

catswhiskers

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
Far North East
AFL Club
Geelong
With all due respect to Bartel, I think we've got the players to cover his output this season.

With regards to Enright, he's a unique player who was still playing well and IMO the way we get better without him is to introduce more pace and a quicker ball-movement structure to the backline(nothing that hasn't already been mentioned).

Also having a genuine lock-down small defender is crucial IMO and for me it's Jed Bews.

Yes. Very logical. The only thing I would disagree on is the lock down.

Bews for mine has so much more to offer in a more attacking role. Good side step, good on both sides, pace, good overhead for size etc..

We have all seen him thinking too hard when defending close to goal and giving one or two away. Playing up the ground the turnover would still be there every now and then, but balanced with attacking flair - that would do his confidence much good. I can even see a midfielder behind the 24.

I'm not sure who the best lock down will be but I would ask Ruggles to prepare.

Cronin

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
Yes. Very logical. The only thing I would disagree on is the lock down.

Bews for mine has so much more to offer in a more attacking role. Good side step, good on both sides, pace, good overhead for size etc..

We have all seen him thinking too hard when defending close to goal and giving one or two away. Playing up the ground the turnover would still be there every now and then, but balanced with attacking flair - that would do his confidence much good. I can even see a midfielder behind the 24.

I'm not sure who the best lock down will be but I would ask Ruggles to prepare.
Until we picked up Tuohy, I had him and Thurlow running off the HBF.

We lack the development of small defenders and for mine he's one that has to play in the back 6 next year and beyond, whether it be off HB or as the No.1 small defender(who can also attack if there's an opportunity to).

And who plays and where out of kolo, henderson, taylor and lonergan if we have blicavs at centre half back. You do know blicavs has never played centre half back right and we currently have some of the best key defenders in the league already?
Depends on opposition, but at times
Taylor CHF
Stanley FP
Kolo BP
Hendo FB
Bews BP
Thurlow HBF
Tuohey HBF

I am mentally preparing for life after Lonergan

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Depends on opposition, but at times
Taylor CHF
Stanley FP
Kolo BP
Hendo FB
Bews BP
Thurlow HBF
Tuohey HBF

I am mentally preparing for life after Lonergan
preparing for lonergan means rotating positions so that others have a go at full back. It doesnt mean not playing him as then we arent preparing for life without him we simply are without him.

DangerIsLove

Cancelled
Oct 23, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Why Not

B: Thurlow Lonergan Kolodjashnij
HB: Blicavs Henderson Thuoy
C: S.Selwood Guthrie Duncan
HF: Menengola Taylor Cockatoo
F: Menzel Hawkins Motlop
R: Smith Dangerfield J.Selwood
I: McCarthy Bews Stanley Stewart

preparing for lonergan means rotating positions so that others have a go at full back. It doesnt mean not playing him as then we arent preparing for life without him we simply are without him.
Exactly.
Lonergan will start and is a non-issue.
But eventually....

I gave boris some DJ lessons last nigh before an event we are playing New Year's Day. He reckons Parfitt right to go round 1, and thurlow isn't an automatic selection.

That's very interesting...I have posted on more than one occasion imploring my fellow posters not to expect too much from Thurlow up front....yet he seems an automatic inclusion in many predictions...I understand why....he's got plenty to offer... but shouldn't be rushed...I would be watching how he goes pre-season before rushing him to AFL level...He looks ready but ACL recovery is partly between the ears and we don't know how he will handle that side of the recovery process. Not every player is like Daniel Menzel.....

Parfitt ready for round 1...mmmmm...juicy....on more than one level.

Xhoquelin

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Charlotte Hornets
Have a mate who's a Geelong supporter so I'll have a crack at this. Bold indicates round one selection but the other option is what the team should be working to IMO.
B: Bews Lonergan Kolodjashnij
HB: Tuohy Henderson Mackie
C: Cockatoo Guthrie Duncan
R: Smith Dangerfield J Selwood
HF: Motlop Taylor Blicavs
F: McCarthy Hawkins Menzel
Bench: Menegola, Lang, Selwood, Murdoch
I'll provide reasoning here;
-Mackie ATM but you'd hope Thurlow would be able to surpass him by the end of the year
- Bews can also play that half-back role, and Ruggles would play in the pocket if that was the case
- Blicavs play as a roaming half forward akin to Riewoldt, not sure if his marking is Riewoldt standard but his running is definitely something that he can emulate from Riewoldt.
- Like the Taylor option up forward
- Only one of McCarthy and Gregson can be picked IMO.

Gogeelong

Premiership Player
Apr 14, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Doubt old Scotty's thinking the same once more but here goes my best 22. Mostly influenced by the fact that Bartel and Enright are gone, addtionally I don't think Mackie is best 22. On Lonergan, he's better then Kolo but I think it would be logical to play Kolo over him just to gain the experince we desperately need when Lonners hangs up the boots come seasons end.

FB: Bews, Taylor, Kolodjashnij
HB: Touhy, Henderson, Thurlow
C: Duncan, Dangerfield, Cockatoo
HF: Motlop, Stanley, Menzel
FF: McCarthy, Hawkins, Gregson
F: Smith, Selwood, Selwood
I/C: Blicavs, Guthrie, Lang, Menegola

EMG: Cowan, Stewart, Ruggles, Mackie.

As of now I'm still not convinced on Menegola, I think we actually have to many ball winners on paper and probably needed to downsize on last year. Would prefer Cowan but I doubt MS is thinking the same.
Good Side. Stewart in for Thurlow. He may take time to get in the groove

Toe Poke

All Australian
May 17, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Doubt old Scotty's thinking the same once more but here goes my best 22. Mostly influenced by the fact that Bartel and Enright are gone, addtionally I don't think Mackie is best 22. On Lonergan, he's better then Kolo but I think it would be logical to play Kolo over him just to gain the experince we desperately need when Lonners hangs up the boots come seasons end.

FB: Bews, Taylor, Kolodjashnij
HB: Touhy, Henderson, Thurlow
C: Duncan, Dangerfield, Cockatoo
HF: Motlop, Stanley, Menzel
FF: McCarthy, Hawkins, Gregson
F: Smith, Selwood, Selwood
I/C: Blicavs, Guthrie, Lang, Menegola

EMG: Cowan, Stewart, Ruggles, Mackie.

If you think that Lonergan is better than Kolo, then by definition your side is not your 'best 22'.

Also I don't think it's sensible to prematurely exclude players like Lonergan (assuming that they maintain their form) before a top-2 position is assured. A top 2 (or top 4, or top 8) finish is more important than selecting a younger player for the sake of it. Using the "he'll retire at the end of the year" logic, Brad Ottens and Cameron Ling should not have been selected throughout 2011. Guthrie played only 2 games in 2011, and could have gained more experience if it weren't for Ling's selection. Likewise Tom Harley in 2009 - who kept Tom Lonergan out of the side. Or David Hale and Brian Lake who played in Hawthorn's winning 2015 Grand Final team before retiring.

It's reasonable to assume that one or more of Lonergan / Taylor / Henderson will get injured throughout the year, so Kolo will play plenty of games anyway - I don't see the need to artificially gift him extra games, apart from a home game against the 18th-placed team in 2017, if such a game happens.

Last edited:

Larry Donohue

Premium Platinum
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Another go with new players and change of rules putting Blitz out of the team bar resting or injury to Smith or Stanley

B: Cowan Lonergan Kolo
HB: Thurlow Henderson Tuohy
C: Cockatoo Guthrie Duncan
HF: Motlop Stanley Black
F: Menzel Hawkins McCarthy
R: Smith Danger J.Selwood
I: Taylor (swing hitting) S.Selwood Menegola Parfitt

Depth: Blitz,Stewart Lang Gregson Mackie Ruggles Bews Murdoch Parsons Cunico GHS Gardiner Hayball Buzza Narkle Jones Guthrie

Think we need to get used to smaller backline and taller forward line.

son of meto

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns
B: Ruggles Lonergan Taylor
HB: Thurlow Henderson Kolo
C: Blicavs Guthrie Duncan
HF: Motlop Stanley Black
F: Menzel Hawkins McCarthy
R: Smith Danger J.Selwood
I: Tuohy S.Selwood Menegola Cockatoo

Why Not

B: Thurlow Lonergan Kolodjashnij
HB: Blicavs Henderson Thuoy
C: S.Selwood Guthrie Duncan
HF: Menengola Taylor Cockatoo
F: Menzel Hawkins Motlop
R: Smith Dangerfield J.Selwood
I: McCarthy Bews Stanley Stewart

Quick, clever small forwards will cut that defense to pieces.
Too tall, too slow.

Back