My best 22

FB: Mackie Lonergan Bews
HB: Tuohy Henderson Thurlow
C: Guthrie J. Selwood S. Selwood
HF: Motlop Taylor Cockatoo
FF: Menzel Hawkins McCarthy
R: Stanley Duncan Dangerfield
I: Kolo Blicavs Menegola Lang

Depth: Smith, Horlin-Smith, Cowan, Murdoch, Gregson, Ruggles, Black (?)

Backline: Major issue last year in my opinion was how we countered when on the back 50 paint. Andrew Mackie's getting slower so relying on him as our run/carry defender is no longer viable, hence the importance of Tuohy, Thurlow and Bews. Thurlows decision making is outstanding for such a young defender, Tuohy has runs on the board as that type of defender while I think Bews can give us a bit of x factor down there and/or take on the Betts, Riolis etc of the league.

Henderson only got better with the continuity of playing him permanent defender and I think he has to stay there (also as I don't completely trust him up forward). This obviously leaves the gulf of Taylor's intercept defending, something we can't replace but having Mackie and Kolo there still gives us a taller than backline than most in the league (even Tuohy as well) which means a few players can hopefully share an extent of the role.

Midfield: Scrapping the third man up rule means we're faced with a trickier decision than what I'd hoped (which was to go back to the Blicavs/Stanley tandem team that worked so well mid 2015). I think our midfield is good enough that we can try to utilize the strength that these two have (which is obviously their athleticism as big men) to punish teams with more typical, big lumbering ruckman particularly by dragging them forward (eg Stanley against Jacobs this year). Of the finals contenders IMO this particularly could expose Adelaide, GWS, Hawthorn, St Kilda, Sydney and West Coast (maybe the doggies too?). Could be vulnerable against the Gawns and Goldsteins of the league though.

Re the actual midfield I think it's pretty self explanatory. Think Motlops better value playing the majority of time as a high half forward rather than on a wing, think Guthrie has to come back to the middle now that Caddy's gone and think Lang has to be given the opportunity. His a smart operator and seems to have this bit of class that our other bottom end midfielders lack (Scooter, Menegola). Should continue to get better also.

Forward: Taylor up forward is the one that needs to happen. His at least good enough to drag attention away from Hawkins, I think his good enough to even be as much of a focal point (no that doesn't mean his going to be as good as Hawkins, it means his capable of being as much of an option). Playing 3 quarters up forward in my memory for all of 2016 for 4 goals proves that, it might actually allow Hawkins to play this 'kick it on my head' style that no coaches seem to be interested in fixing.

Menzel and McCarthy both sort of play the same role but with different emphasis, that small marking/lead up option and clever x factor at ground level (Menzel preferring the former and McCarthy the latter). Cockatoo seems the obvious choice to be that pressure forward, while the overall spread of different types of players seems quite dangerous to me.

On another note I'm hopeful we can more out of Murdoch next year, whether it's up forward or back. Needs to use his pace more but has some handy ingredients. Gregson too has football smarts, while Cowan has the potential to be a contested ball bull but lacks confidence.
Great effort mate.

My best 22

Midfield:

Re the actual midfield I think it's pretty self explanatory. Think Motlops better value playing the majority of time as a high half forward

Good write up, but I'd prefer that Motlop (and all of Geelong's players) to be drug-free, rather than playing high.

Good write up, but I'd prefer that Motlop (and all of Geelong's players) to be drug-free, rather than playing high.

08007-3.jpg

My best 22

I have real concerns and doubts over Mackie & Lonergan. I think both will struggle. Definitely think Gardner, Stewart & Ruggles will get game time. I'd be interested in seeing if Blicavs could play a Defensive Mid role.

I like the forward line setup, however if it doesn't click or players are out of form I hope Scott makes the tough call and drops players as we do have decent options available. I don't have high hopes for Black or Murdoch and think someone like House will pass them.

As for H-S for depth, I've written him off completely. He's too far behind too many players in my opinion and far too slow.

I have real concerns and doubts over Mackie & Lonergan. I think both will struggle. Definitely think Gardner, Stewart & Ruggles will get game time.

It's not happening. The coach will play Mackie and Lonergan regardless of how poor their form becomes.
Most of our oldies got to the stage where it was blatantly obvious their time was up but somehow, someway, they continued getting a game because of their past exploits and success.

It's not happening. The coach will play Mackie and Lonergan regardless of how poor their form becomes.
Most of our oldies got to the stage where it was blatantly obvious their time was up but somehow, someway, they continued getting a game because of their past exploits and success.

I know what you are saying but he'll be forced to pull the trigger.

FB: Stewart Lonergan Kolodjashnijj
HB: Thurlow Henderson Thuoy

- This backline gives us good ball use and dash off half back. It frees Kolodjashnijj to play a third tall roll and for Stewart to be a Josh Hunt type player.

C: Menengola Guthrie S.Selwood
R: Smith Dangerfield J.Selwood

- This midfield along with Duncan and Cockatoo gives us movement and good ball use. It just looks nice

HF: Cockatoo Taylor Duncan
F: Motlop Hawkins Menzel

The forward line has lots of creativity and we hope for Hawkins to lead. McCarthy will obviously play

I: Blicavs McCarthy Bews Lang

From an outsiders perspective I think your starting best 22 (the team that will play Freo in round 1) will be:
B: Henderson Lonergan Touhy
HB: Thurlow Taylor# Bews
C: Menegola Guthrie Duncan
R: Smith J. Selwood Dangerfield
HF: Motlop Stanley Cockatoo
FF: Menzel Hawkings McCarthy
I/C Stewart, S.Selwood, Blicavs, Mackie
Emg: Murdoch, Kol, Lang

Stanley always plays well against us. Ditto Mackie. Our team is fairly quick so it wouldn't surprise if Murdoch came into the team to play us too. The aseterix against Taylor is because I think you would benefit from moving him forward and back in a game against us. Stewart in the team makes moving Taylor very possible. It also wouldn't surprise me if Thurlow took Fyfe. He looks like a beast in the training pictures and was one of the first players I chose for Dream Team initial squad.

Out of interest does anyone know if Taylor is training with the forwards or the backs?

Last edited:

I really doubt that Geelong would have scraped through that Qualifying Final against the Dawks if Lonergan did not play. He saved our bacon in the last term when the heat was on with some strong contested marks.

I really doubt that Geelong would have scraped through that Qualifying Final against the Dawks if Lonergan did not play. He saved our bacon in the last term when the heat was on with some strong contested marks.

Yes and I never said Lonergan is/was poor and should have been dropped rabbi.
I said the coach will continue playing him once he's over the hill (which is about to hit him shortly). It was no different with Stokes, Kelly and Hunt and it's happening already with Mackie as we speak.

It will be interesting to watch Lonergan this year....he was a solid player last year, and I expect him to be selected at least early in the season.

Form will decide his fate as the year progresses...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the same applies CC.....2e, Guthrie,Thurlow, Bews, Stewart and Ruggles will all make claims for a back 6 spot ...perhaps Cowan as well....

To be honest, I'm not sure where Mackie fits...but I won't write him off just yet. Pressure is on though....you have to add Taylor, Henderson, Lonergan, and Kolo to the mix as well...

Pretty good position for Geelong to be in....

I think the same applies CC.....2e, Guthrie,Thurlow, Bews, Stewart and Ruggles will all make claims for a back 6 spot ...perhaps Cowan as well....

To be honest, I'm not sure where Mackie fits...but I won't write him off just yet. Pressure is on though....you have to add Taylor, Henderson, Lonergan, and Kolo to the mix as well...

Pretty good position for Geelong to be in....
Taylor forward?

To be honest, I'm not sure where Mackie fits...but I won't write him off just yet. Pressure is on though....

lol
You have overrated good old Mackie for quite sometime hey Dave :D
You were telling those who criticized him that they have no clue and you just witnessed Mackie produce one of his worst finals campaigns yet.

Only when he is getting embarrassed like Josh Hunt was in his final year on the list will the penny finally drop.

lol
You have overrated good old Mackie for quite sometime hey Dave :D
You were telling those who criticized him that they have no clue and you just witnessed Mackie produce one of his worst finals campaigns yet.

Only when he is getting embarrassed like Josh Hunt was in his final year on the list will the penny finally drop.

I do my best not to pot players, particularly those who have served and bled for this club over a long period of time. I leave that to others.

I also refrain, unlike some others, from picking out players who approach the late 20's and then say they are finished prematurely and wait till they are inevitably proved correct so they can crow about how clever they are later on.

Oh...I also recall a recent post of yours complaining I take pot shots at you and claiming hypocrisy on my part for doing so.

Must be catching Robert.....

I do my best not to pot players, particularly those who have served and bled for this club over a long period of time. I leave that to others.

I also refrain, unlike some others, from picking out players who approach the late 20's and then say they are finished prematurely and wait till they are inevitably proved correct so they can crow about how clever they are later on.

Oh...I also recall a recent post of yours complaining I take pot shots at you and claiming hypocrisy on my part for doing so.

Must be catching Robert.....

You do your best but fail all too often Dave.

I'm just glad you have finally started to question Mackie. Only took you a couple of years to catch on.

I have real concerns and doubts over Mackie & Lonergan. I think both will struggle. Definitely think Gardner, Stewart & Ruggles will get game time. I'd be interested in seeing if Blicavs could play a Defensive Mid role.

I like the forward line setup, however if it doesn't click or players are out of form I hope Scott makes the tough call and drops players as we do have decent options available. I don't have high hopes for Black or Murdoch and think someone like House will pass them.

As for H-S for depth, I've written him off completely. He's too far behind too many players in my opinion and far too slow.
Lonergan was probably our most consistent defender again. People just want a shorter lineup so badly his form is completely ignored.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back