Banter 2017 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO the best defensive setup for us to combat the top teams in 2017 is;
- 1 lock-down small defender to play on the opposition's best small forward(Jed Bews is our best option)

- 2 running half-backs who can also play defensively 1-on-1 if need be

- 3 tall defenders to combat the KPF as well as any resting ruckman

I don't care how tall or short they are centre-meter wise, just as long as they can fill these roles because 6 of the same type of player won't cut it.

Tuohy, who is amongst Geelong's best 18 players, can play on the opposition's best small forward.

I see Bews as Ruggles as being on the fringe of selection.

I didn't see enough of Stewart in the VFL to know the answer - is he purely a rebounding halfback or can he play as a reliable small defender?

I think Bews is currently our best small lockdown defender, shown by good jobs on the likes of Betts and Lindsay Thomas in the past.

Given the abundance of quality small forwards around - Betts, Wingard, Walters, Rioli and Elliott for starters - it would be great if we had another option for these guys.

I like Bews but am not convinced he's best 22, however he's our best option for the above role.
If he's played in the right position and developed properly he will be:thumbsu:

Tuohy, who is amongst Geelong's best 18 players, can play on the opposition's best small forward.

I see Bews as Ruggles as being on the fringe of selection.

He probably could, but if Betts is playing deep forward, I'd rather Bews(who's beaten him twice already) negating his influence, while guys like Tuohy and Thurlow are running off HB and driving the ball quick and long to our forwards.

B: Bews, Lonergan, Ruggles
HB: Thurlow, Henderson, Tuohy
C: Duncan, J. Selwood, Menegola
HF: Cockatoo, Black, Mackie
F: McCarthy, Hawkins, Menzel
R: Smith, Guthrie, Dangerfield
INT: Stanley, S. Selwood, Taylor, Motlop

EMG: Kolodjashnij, Gregson, Blicavs
Very unlucky: Murdoch, Cowan, Lang, Parfitt, etc.

s**t that's a good side.

I didn't see enough of Stewart in the VFL to know the answer - is he purely a rebounding halfback or can he play as a reliable small defender?

I think Bews is currently our best small lockdown defender, shown by good jobs on the likes of Betts and Lindsay Thomas in the past.

Given the abundance of quality small forwards around - Betts, Wingard, Walters, Rioli and Elliott for starters - it would be great if we had another option for these guys.

I like Bews but am not convinced he's best 22, however he's our best option for the above role.
I agree Bews borders on best 22 - but he has played that role very well.

To keep his consistency - and his confidence - up id play him as a small defensive forward at times as well.

His is quick, strong and powerful, and a great tackler. Let him feed at the feet of the long bombs we seem to be persistent in doing and see how he fares.
He got a nice goal JLT 1 -has done it in the VFL as well - we could do worse.

But yes his best spot IMO is the little ankle clamp in the BP.

Go Catters

Very close to what I would suggest, maybe Motlop further up the ground so he can create space and run. Other than that, I agree with your post 100%.

I think we should be relatively level headed with the expectations on Stewart, he is stepping up in grade, and well, he played well in the VFL but averaged 17 possessions, so its not exactly ground breaking stats. I think he will be a solid player, and will contest hard, which is all you can ask for really. Hopefully he brings additional run from the back half.

(F.B)Mackie Taylor Henderson
HB Thurlow Kolodashnij Tuohy
C. Cockatoo J.Selwood Duncan
HF. Motlop Black Lang
F. McCarthy Hawkins Menzel
Foll. Smith Dangerfield S.Selwood
Inter. Blicavs Menegola Guthrie
Parfitt

Emerg. Lonergan, Stanley, Ruggles, Bews

Cowan

This is a squad team type i would like trialed it works either way you want lonergan in taylor forward black out. Blicavs as 2nd ruck our forward pressure would be improved 100% with sides counterattacking from half back should collectively help our speed across the ground. I give cockatoo the wing for 10 rounds let him learn his position. I give smith the ruck to begin with blicavs is the backup as he won a bf in a 2nd ruck 3rd man up role.

I left mackie in as his movement looked o.k first pre season game he could play a 3rd tall of taylor goes forward. Thurlow and tuohy should help rebound our 3 key defenders are all athletic and mobile enough to play key roles will improve our pace from half back. Kolodashnij thrown in as a lockdown key as i think henderson is better suited to a sweeping role other than lockdown defender.

Thrown parfitt in as gregson is not fit moves well just give him a taste and make some guys really earn a spot. His position would be the extra talls spot i.e stanley if we feel the need to go with 2 talls against gawn ot goldstein.

Darcy lang spends lots of time on the other wing. And aaron black will be asked to play a mobile role higher on the ground open space for hawkins behind. I like a smaller forward line as geelong like to counter attack of turnovers this will alow to guys get and really go which helps break down zones.

And should also make guys lower the eyes value the possession going forward. When we play 3 talls and blicavs forward its clunky and slow we start looking for a deeper ball. Instead of guys moving and working for each other making space for a teamate. Smalls dont look for space and a mark over the top of someone the look to get out in space or get to the feet.

The defensive pressure is just as important as 3 contested marks inside 50. Because for those three contested marks with 4 talls we probably leak 20 clean rebound 50s highlighted by the sydney prelim when they hsf pne KD left after allir went down.

Its a hybrid side from what i saw late last year.Trying to build some speed and running on the wings becoming more mobile as a side

Do i think this is the 2017 starting squad no.
As i assume with roles lonergan in taylor forward. And stanley plays 2nd ruck my problem is its the same rotation of talls that were destroyed i dont care if they change postitions they are still the same unit

FB: Bews- Lonergan - Kolo
HB: Thurlow - Henderson - Thuoy
C: Duncan - Guthrie - S.Selwood
HF: Black - Taylor - Motlop
FF: McCarthy - Hawkins - Menzel
RR: Smith - Dangerfield - J.Selwood
I: Blicavs Menengola Cockatoo Mackie

EG Stanley Lang Cowan Ruggles Stewart Gregson
Murdoch, Horlin-Smith, Gardner

If taylor doesnt workout in the forward and lonergan drops off
FB: Bews- Taylor - Kolo
HB: Thurlow - Henderson - Thuoy
C: Duncan - Guthrie - S.Selwood
HF: Black - Stanley - Motlop
FF: McCarthy - Hawkins - Menzel
RR: Smith - Dangerfield - J.Selwood
I: Blicavs Menengola Cockatoo Mackie

EG Lang Cowan Lonergan Ruggles Stewart Gregson
Murdoch, Horlin-Smith, Gardner

FB Kolodjashnij Lonergan Thurlow
HB Tuohy Henderson Guthrie
C Duncan Selwood Motlop
HF Cockatoo Taylor Lang
FF Menzel Hawkins McCarthy
Fol Smith Dangerfield Menegola
Int Stanley Blicavs S.Selwood Ruggles

B: Ruggles Lonergan Kolo
HB: Tuohy Henderson Mackie
C: Guthrie S.Selwood Duncan
HF: Motlop Taylor Black
F: McCarthy Hawkins Menzel
R: Smith Selwood Dangerfield
I: Stanley Menegola Blicavs Cockatoo
EMG: Lang Cowan Thurlow

That would be my guess of the club's best 22 for round 1 at this point, not mine personally.

B: Kolojashnij, Lonergan, Bews
HB: Tuohy, Henderson, Thurlow
C: Guthrie, Duncan, Lang
HF: Motlop, Taylor, Cockatoo
F: McCarthy, Hawkins, Menzel

Foll: Smith, J.Selwood, Dangerfield

Int: Stanley, Menegola, S.Selwood, Parfitt
About as well a balanced team as our list could accommodate, despite our inability to develop a true mobile CHF.

Unfortunately both Mackie and Blicavs will be in Chris Scott's best 22, rather than being used as depth players, so two of those guys will need to get the chop:thumbsdown:

B: Thurlow Lonergan Kolodjashnji
HB: Guthrie Henderson Tuohy
C: Duncan Menegola Motlop
HF: Menzel Taylor Black
F: McCarthy Hawkins Cockatoo
Foll: Smith, Dangerfield, JSelwood
Int: Stanley Lang SSelwood Mackie

Ruggles, Bews and Cowan need to be kept out of the side. Not one of them is even remotely up to standard.

Last edited:

Ruggles, Bews and Cowan need to be kept out of the side. None of them are even remotely up to standard.
Swap Stanley for Blitz and that's how I'd currently have it as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What really stands out about him, though, is that for someone of his size, he offers very little in the air. His contested marking is quite poor, which you'd usually expect to be a strength of a 198cm player playing in the midfield
Yes. He does get his dukes to the ball but can't seem to clunk his marks consistently. The other aspect is he has Cowan's disease, looking to dish off too often. Perhaps it is a confidence thing. Given his bullet proof standing in team selection you'd thing he would have gotten over that by now.
Perhaps with his position in the team under some scrutiny we may see him take the game on a bit more.

Ruggles, Bews and Cowan need to be kept out of the side. Not one of them is even remotely up to standard.
Guthrie should play midfield with both Tuohy and Thurlow playing off half back.

I think you're wrong about Bews, he'll be our best small defender IMO.

During rotations I'd like guthrie in the mid if there is no dangerfield. He has a decent stoppage burst. But not required as much with danger...

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Haven't formed a judgement yet on Ruggles, but tend to agree on the other two. Don't doubt their endeavour, but that isn't enough at the top level.

Not convinced on Black yet, but otherwise looks a good combination.

B Bews Lonergan Kolo
HB Tuohy Henderson Thurlow
C Duncan Guthrie Motlop
HF Menzel Taylor Cockatoo
F McCarthy Hawkins Black
R Smith Dangerfield Selwood
IC Menegola Scooter Lang Stanley.
Team has balance I feel.

B Bews Lonergan Kolo
HB Tuohy Henderson Thurlow
C Duncan Guthrie Motlop
HF Menzel Taylor Cockatoo
F McCarthy Hawkins Black
R Smith Dangerfield Selwood
IC Menegola Scooter Lang Stanley.
Team has balance I feel.

:thumbsu:

Not sold on Black after 1 pre-season game just yet. Couple more solid pre-season games and IMO he'll be there rd 1.
For me Blicavs, Stewart, Parfitt, Ruggles and maybe Mackie (only through injury) can also claim that spot with good pre-season form

I have a feeling we'll play Mackie & the three talls (Stanley, Blicavs & Smith) come rd 1.

This is almost exactly how I see it. I suspect we will see a mix of Lang, Black, and Menzel though with Blicavs also taking a spot.

After one pre-season game my only possible change in thinking is trying to squeeze Black in. But I think structurally it's going to be hard. Menzel insurance?

Aside from that, from the prelim selected side out goes Boris, Bartel and Caddy and in comes Tuohy, Menzel and Cockatoo. Lang next in line for a mid spot and Thurlow next in line for a defensive spot. Forward depth is a worry.

Hard to see any others featuring in Round 1 without some injury carnage (*touches wood*).

After one pre-season game my only possible change in thinking is trying to squeeze Black in. But I think structurally it's going to be hard. Menzel insurance?

Aside from that, from the prelim selected side out goes Boris, Bartel and Caddy and in comes Tuohy, Menzel and Cockatoo. Lang next in line for a mid spot and Thurlow next in line for a defensive spot. Forward depth is a worry.

Hard to see any others featuring in Round 1 without some injury carnage (*touches wood*).

Lang should absolutely replace Cowan.

Lang should absolutely replace Cowan.
Quite possible if they both carry JTL #1 form through #2 and #3. And IMO that would be a positive for the team because I think Lang's ceiling and potential benefit to the team is much higher than Cowan's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back