HB: Thurlow Henderson Bews
C: Duncan Guthrie Cowan
HF: Motlop Taylor Menzel
FF: McCarthy Hawkins Cockatoo
R: Smith J.Selwood Dangerfield
Int: Stanley S.Selwood Menengola Lang

Blitz, Mackie, Gregson, Black, Murdoch, Ruggles, Clark, Horlin-Smith

Depth ain't that bad, Cunico could also be a bolter

Not bad. If there is a 'bolter' from the untried kids i reckon it could be parsons.
If we draft stewart/atkins/sexton i reckon they could play afl footy pretty early next year.

Issues when selecting a best 22
*) What kind of gameplan are we going to use. How will we move the ball (fast/slow, direct/indirect,handball/kick, long/short) where will we focus our defence(a high press/zone down the field/ flood back to defensive fifity) what is our attitude towards generating stoppages. Changing one of these choices changes our best 22

1) The ruck mix. Smith and Stanley, Smith and Blicavs or Stanley and Blicavs
2) How many KPDs can we play at once, can we rely on Thurlow to pay as a undersized 3rd tall
3) Can Stanley be a full time a forward? Do we shift a KPD to the forward line, what impact (if any) could Clark or Black have
4) To use high half forward or not, what about a loose in defence
5) Do we play Guthrie down back instead of have either Bews/Ruggles down back
6) What role do we give Blicavs, Ruck, Tagger, Inside mid, Wing man, KPD,
7) How much can we depend of Menzel. Could we play him at FF, could he be apart of the midfield rotations
8) How many inside focused mids can we select, (Caddy leaving makes this a little easier)
9) Do any of Lang, Cockatoo and McCarthy move in the midfield rotations full time
**) How much do we back in the untested, our new and recent draftees.

*) What kind of gameplan are we going to use. How will we move the ball (fast/slow, direct/indirect,handball/kick, long/short) where will we focus our defence(a high press/zone down the field/ flood back to defensive fifity) what is our attitude towards generating stoppages. Changing one of these choices changes our best 22

1) The ruck mix. Smith and Stanley, Smith and Blicavs or Stanley and Blicavs - I wouldn't play all three
2) How many KPDs can we play at once, can we rely on Thurlow to pay as a undersized 3rd tall - Kolo 3rd tall, Mackie an option also
3) Can Stanley be a full time a forward? Do we shift a KPD to the forward line, what impact (if any) could Clark or Black have - Smaller fowardline
4) To use high half forward or not, what about a loose in defence - no to lose man in defense
5) Do we play Guthrie down back instead of have either Bews/Ruggles down back - Guthrie wing IMO
6) What role do we give Blicavs, Ruck, Tagger, Inside mid, Wing man, KPD - All of the above except wing
7) How much can we depend of Menzel. Could we play him at FF, could he be apart of the midfield rotations - FF is best
8) How many inside focused mids can we select, (Caddy leaving makes this a little easier)- All of them except GHS
9) Do any of Lang, Cockatoo and McCarthy move in the midfield rotations full time - Cockatoo but not full time. Takes Caddy's minutes
**) How much do we back in the untested, our new and recent draftees. As always depends on their quality

Smaller fowardline

I was thinking smaller forwardline before Kersten left, based around Kersten, Menzel and Murdoch with Hawkins providing marking power to get past the other teams zone. But without Kersten it falls apart, he has that pseudo KPF legitimacy that the other two lack.

My amended 22 with updates list

B: Henderson Lonergan Kolojashnij
HB: Tuohy Taylor Thurlow
C: Guthrie JSelwood Duncan
HF: Cockatoo Stanley Motlop
F: McCarthy Hawkins Menzel
R: Smith Dangerfield Menegola
I: SSelwood Blicavs Cowan Ruggles
E: Gregson Lang Mackie

I like the look of our backline that way, our 3 deepest defenders are all tall and slow but have a boot on them, with the half backs is a bit more pace and creativity. The forward line is still suspect, but all of the players have a bit of X-factor (except Stanley) and if playing well could absoloutley dominate most defenses in the league. Having creative forward line players can cover poor delivery to an extent as well, so if the forward line delivery doesn't improve, having Motlop, Cocky, Linc and Menzel hanging around should still result in a fair few scores.

I like the look of our backline that way, our 3 deepest defenders are all tall and slow but have a boot on them, with the half backs is a bit more pace and creativity. The forward line is still suspect, but all of the players have a bit of X-factor (except Stanley) and if playing well could absoloutley dominate most defenses in the league. Having creative forward line players can cover poor delivery to an extent as well, so if the forward line delivery doesn't improve, having Motlop, Cocky, Linc and Menzel hanging around should still result in a fair few scores.
That backline is ridiculous.

I assume you are completely taking the piss with that back six?

Why is it ridiculous/why am I taking the piss? Sure its slow but Tuohy and Thurlow are interchangable with Hendo and Kolo depending on the opponent. Plus Ruggles is on the bench, you guys do realise that players who line up in a particular position don't stay there for 100% of the game right?

FB: Bews - Henderson - Kolodjashnij
HB: Tuohy - Taylor - Guthrie
C: Duncan - Cockatoo - Murdoch
HF: Motlop - Stanley - Lang
FF: McCarthy - Hawkins - Menzel
R: Smith - Dangerfield - J Selwood
INT: S Selwood - Thurlow - Menegola - Gregson

Ruck depth: Blicavs
Midfield depth: Cowan, Horlin-Smith
Back depth: Mackie, Ruggles, Lonergan
Forward depth: Clark(?), Black

Our depth looks absolutely horrible.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Any team's depth would look horrible when you have 9 list spots to fill....

That backline is ridiculous.

It makes Lonergan the elephant in the room playing on. They are going to play both him and Mackie, they won't drop them to the VFL like some are suggesting. It causes the same structural issues as this season where they need to move the ball slowly because if they turn it over the backline is going to get torched on the fast break.

B: Bews Lonergan Kolo
HB: Tuohy Henderson Mackie
C: Guthrie Selwood Duncan
HF: Motlop Taylor Cockatoo
R: Smith Dangerfield S.Selwood
I: Stanley Menegola Blicavs Thurlow

That's about the most agile but realistic back six I can come up with and it is going to be a problem again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B Kolo Lonergan Thurlow
HB Touhy Taylor Cockatoo
C Duncan J.Selwood Guthrie
HF Motlop Hawkins Gregson
F Menzel Henderson S.Selwood
R Stanley Dangerfield Mccarthy

Int Menegola, Stewart, Blicavs, Lang

B - Bews, Taylor, Kolo
HB - Tuohy, Henderson, Thurlow
C - Duncan, Dangerfield, Guthrie
HF - Cockatoo, Stanley, Motlop
F - McCarthy, Hawkins, Menzal
R - Smith, Selwood, Menegola
I - Blicavs, SSelwood, Gregson, Lang

Door has opened for great oppurtunity, assuming Lonergan will retire as well we have no choice but to play Stanley as CHF. If Chris Scott doesn't recognise Blicavs is useless as a mid and he doesn't go support Ruck this season were are stuffed. I expect Lang, cocky and the forgotten man Gregson to make drastic improvements. Furthermore Ruggles isn't AFL standard as a defensive backman i think Bews will get the nod over him based on that.

I have grave concerns our depth has been obliterated and we'd best be praying for a couple of kids in this years draft to come online quickly.

Last edited:
2) How many KPDs can we play at once, can we rely on Thurlow to pay as a undersized 3rd tall
3) Can Stanley be a full time a forward? Do we shift a KPD to the forward line, what impact (if any) could Clark or Black have
7) How much can we depend of Menzel. Could we play him at FF, could he be apart of the midfield rotations
8) How many inside focused mids can we select, (Caddy leaving makes this a little easier)
9) Do any of Lang, Cockatoo and McCarthy move in the midfield rotations full time
10) How much do we back in the untested, our new and recent draftees.
1) Smith and Stanley.
2) Two or three. Kolo, Taylor and Hendo. If they send one of Hendo or Taylor forward, then Lonergan in. Kolo as the 3rd tall either way.
3) I hope he could but I'm doubting it. The resting ruck forward should be used fairly often though. With Lonergan we do have the option to move a KPD forward, not sure if we should though. If so, has to be Taylor. Black might be worth trying, I fear Clark is cooked. This is the big concern for the team.
4) Maybe Touhy is the loose in defence. Might be worth exploring as a quarter back, and the extra number to help against fast opposition transition.
5) I wouldn't mind Guthrie and someone else having stints between half back and the wing, rotating. Maybe Cowan? Probably midfield though predominantly. I'd like to see plenty of Bews and Ruggles.
6) Blicavs - I really just want a nimble speedster in his place, think we need that more. But for role, ruck backup.
7) We are very reliant on him. Just about a top 6 important player, if he hits his strides it changes everything. Doubtful about full forward, but I'd love to see them try it with Hawk at CHF. Don't know if he'll be able to do midfield any more. Hope he builds a tank over pre-season.
8) Menegola and SS both warrant a spot at this stage. Need that grunt and the more defensively minded guy to go in there with Dangerwood. Hopefully someone who can feed them as well. SS is valuable as a tag option, but showed other signs too. If Caddy was around, one would have had to be excluded though I reckon.
9) Just about worth a shot. Cocky should have more midfield time than Motlop. If Lang plays, it's midfield rather than forward. This is where Guthrie and Cowan types might end up at half back, as there is still a spot back there if someone breaks out on a wing. Duncan? Kind of in no man's land, he was decent (ish) but I hope he steps up.
10) Back in a couple. It's been so sad seeing Boris and Bartel go. Boris and maybe Bartel still could have been best 22 as well. But it's a good time to transition and potentially exciting, with a new batch of leaders hopefully emerging to show the youngsters the way. I want and expect Thurlow and Bews to be backed in. Same with Gregson and Cockatoo. Lonergan is still best 22 if we restructured things to have better balance, but Kolo needs to stay and so he needs to go unless Taylor is up forward for instance. Mackie definitely should go. Motlop, Blics, Duncan etc in the firing line if they underperform this year (unlikely, just saying what I'd do).

B - Bews, Taylor, Kolo
HB - Tuohy, Henderson, Thurlow
C - Duncan, Dangerfield, Guthrie
HF - Cockatoo, Stanley, Motlop
F - McCarthy, Hawkins, Lang
R - Smith, Selwood, Menegola
I - Blicavs, SSelwood, Gregson, Cowan

Door has opened for great oppurtunity, assuming Lonergan will retire as well we have no choice but to play Stanley as CHF. If Chris Scott doesn't recognise Blicavs is useless as a mid and he doesn't go support Ruck this season were are stuffed. I expect Lang, cocky and the forgotten man Gregson to make drastic improvements. Furthermore Ruggles isn't AFL standard as a defensive backman i think Bews will get the nod over him based on that.

I have grave concerns our depth has been obliterated and we'd best be praying for a couple of kids in this years draft to come online quickly.
No Menzel!

HF: Cockatoo Pick 24 Motlop
EFA :p

Regardless of what people think of their playing ability, barring injury I'd say there's Nathan Buckley's chance of either Blicavs of Cowan not being in the starting line up in 2017.

**) How much do we back in the untested, our new and recent draftees.

1) I fully expect CS to persist with the Smith & Stanley double. With their athleticism we give away nothing having them rest forward.
2) CS seems to see Kolo as a hybrid small/tall DEF so I think it will still be Taylor, Lonergan, Henderson and Kolo.
3) This is our biggest worry I think. I don't think Stanley can be a full time forward. We might pick up something in the drafts, maybe Dawes?
4) Not sure on this one.
5) I think Guthrie will become permanent midfield in 2017.
6) Think Blicavs will continue as a midfielder and be 3rd up.
7) Yes to all of the above.
8) Danger, J.Selwood, S.Selwood and Menegola.
9) All three of Cocky, Lang and Linc are capable next year I believe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back