Banter 2017 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I cant remember the last time we willingly went in with only two kpds though. The structure has always been scarlett-egan-harley then scarlett-taylor-harley then scarlett-lonergan-taylor then lonergan-taylor-rivers then lonergan-taylor-henderson-kolo now it will likely be lonergan-henderson-stewart until kolo is fit. I cant see them going in shorter than that.

Thurlow and Stewart are the same height - 190cm.

He found a bit of it but butchered the ball way too much. For me it's close enough that I'd go with the young guy that has potential to improve rather than the old guy that is on the decline.
Weird. What stands out to me is his disposal is a cut above. Particularly two defenders you have ahead of him who are really quite poor users.

Thurlow and Stewart are the same height - 190cm.

Its not about height its about how they play. Stewarts game is based around marking particularly intercepts whereas thurlow is an attacking kicking half back who plays like a medium sized player.

Theortical Best 22 - If everyone was fit and half decent form.
FB Henderson Lonergan Ruggles
HB Tuohy Taylor Mackie
C Duncan Selwood Guthrie
HF Cockatoo Stanley Motlop
FF Menzel Hawkins McCarthy
Fol Smith Dangerfield Menegola
Int Blicavs Thurlow S.Selwood Lang

You knew there'd have to be one player you'd miss, well maybe not, but no KOLO?

Seniors :
FB - Thurlow Lonergan Stewart
HB - Touhy Henderson Mackie
C - Duncan S Selwood Guthrie
HF - Cockatoo Taylor Motlop
FF - Menzel Hawkins McCarthy
Fol - Stanley Dangerfield J Selwood
Int - Bews Menegola Lang Blicavs
Emer - Parfitt GHS Kolo Murdoch

Like the look of this team make up. Go smaller and quicker. Think we would be a lot more dangerous. Bews gives us speed and lock down power in the back line or up forward if needed. Menegola slips straight into the midfield rotation. Lang also gives us run through the midfield and forward line. Blitz is our backup ruck man.

Reserves :
FB - Kolo Gardener Ruggles
HB - Conico House Guthrie
C - Cowan GHS Parsons
HF - Murdoch Black Gregson
FF - Hayball Buzza Jones
Fol - Smith Parfitt Narkle
Int - Ratugolea Abbott Henry O'Connor Simpson

Don't mind this side either. Again aim to go smaller and quicker. GHS will rack them up in the middle and Narkle & Parfitt will knock them up at this level also, but with more speed. We'll probably turn it over a lot, but it will be fun to watch.

You knew there'd have to be one player you'd miss, well maybe not, but no KOLO?
I didn't forget him he just isn't in my best 22 if Taylor plays down back. If Taylor plays forward then Kolodjashnij be in the 22 ahead of Stewart.

Kolodjashnij issue is that he is our 4th best kpd so he is not in as a KPD unless someone ahead of him in the pecking order is out. This year we have so many small defender options that someone more natural in the role would have to be overlooked to fit him in.

I didn't forget him he just isn't in my best 22 if Taylor plays down back. If Taylor plays forward then Kolodjashnij be in the 22 ahead of Stewart.

Kolodjashnij issue is that he is our 4th best kpd so he is not in as a KPD unless someone ahead of him in the pecking order is out. This year we have so many small defender options that someone more natural in the role would have to be overlooked to fit him in.
Not best 22, but not a mention in the rest of the post- he is a bit forgotten whilst being absent.

Random thought - GHS needs to be in our side. I don't care if he is a slow runner, he makes good decisions and more importantly uses the ball well which is something we are crying out for in the midfield.

Cue the haters....
But he's too slow and looks like Ellen DeGeneres:)

Random thought - GHS needs to be in our side. I don't care if he is a slow runner, he makes good decisions and more importantly uses the ball well which is something we are crying out for in the midfield.

Cue the haters....
He doesnt use the ball well. Scrappy handballs and kicks under pressure is not using the ball well. However he has earned a spot for round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guthrie Henderson Stewart
Thurlow Taylor Touhy
Duncan GHS Menegola
Motlop Stanley Cockatoo
McCarthy Hawkins Menzel
Smith Dangerfield J Selwood
Lang Mackie
Murdoch Parfitt

Round 1 team

B: Tuohy Lonergan Kolo
HB: Thurlow Henderson Mackie
C: Guthrie Selwood Duncan
HF: Motlop Taylor Cockatoo
F: Menzel Hawkins McCarthy
R: Stanley Dangerfield S.Selwood

That's a pretty clear 18 for me at this point if everyone is available. Taylor forward hasn't worked but would be less bad than Smith in the ruck and Stanley/Smith/Blicavs all playing so Taylor forward it is.

Then you have pre season disappointments - Smith, Blicavs, Menegola, Lang, Cowan, Stewart, Ruggles and pre season movers - GHS, Murdoch, Parfitt and the seemingly match committee condemned in Bews and Black in a 12 man race for 4 bench spots.

R1 I would say Ruggles in the 18 for Kolo and GHS in for S.Selwood. Raffle the bench spots. Blicavs, Menegola, Cowan, Murdoch would be my guess. Parfitt first drop.

Guthrie Henderson Stewart
Thurlow Taylor Touhy
Duncan GHS Menegola
Motlop Stanley Cockatoo
McCarthy Hawkins Menzel
Smith Dangerfield J Selwood
Lang Mackie
Murdoch Parfitt

Round 1 team
Guthrie in a BP?

We need Guthrie in the midfield mate, Bews is a better option in a BP surely.

He doesnt use the ball well. Scrappy handballs and kicks under pressure is not using the ball well. However he has earned a spot for round 1.
I disagree. When he gets the ball he shows composure, makes good decisions about who to give it to and generally uses it well.

Because he isn't spectacular and has always been on the fringe of the side all of his mistakes are highlighted. Plus when he does make a mistake the opposition always seem to make us pay. I call it the josh hunt effect.

He is not the type of player that will blow you away if you watch one game. He is more accumulator than highlight reel. But I suspect that if he is given an extended run in the firsts you will look up after 8 games and realise that he has been an effective midfielder. We need to commit to him in the midfield for half a season and see what we have got. His form in the vfl and preseason warrants it.

One of the AFL.com.au journalists has put up our likely Round 1 team. Has Murdoch, GHS and Lang missing from those not injured.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-14/who-plays-in-round-one
B: Andrew Mackie, Tom Lonergan, Tom Stewart
HB: Zach Tuohy, Lachie Henderson, Jackson Thurlow
C: Mark Blicavs, Cam Guthrie, Mitch Duncan
HF: Daniel Menzel, Harry Taylor, Lincoln McCarthy
F: Steven Motlop, Tom Hawkins, Nakia Cockatoo
Foll: Rhys Stanley, Patrick Dangerfield, Joel Selwood
I/C: Zac Smith, Josh Cowan, Sam Menegola, Tom Ruggles

New faces: Brandan Parfitt, Tom Stewart, Zach Tuohy

Missing: Cory Gregson (foot, indefinite), Scott Selwood (toe, 1 week), Jake Kolodjashnij (groin, 1 week)

You get the too slow is a very real argument right?

It is absolutely. But so is getting the ball.

In the two games he's played, he's had more possessions than Duncan, or Lang, or Cockatoo, or Menegola, or Blicavs, or Cowan. All the other second tier candidates for a midfield role (excluding Duncan who is obviously first tier). If he is to be in the team as a centre square midfielder, it's reasonable to expect he gets plenty of the ball. That's fair enough. In the only two opportunities he's had he's done that.

Love the way he has Parfitt as a new face,but forgot to put him in the side.
So it wasnt just me that was scratching the old right said fred :huh:

Go Catters

You get the too slow is a very real argument right?
I'll take another 24 of his too slow touches, 8 too slow clearances and 2 too slow goals over the 12 Motlop fast touches any day of the week at the moment ( granted based on exposed JT form)

And I get the foot speed point, but when he's picked to clear the in and under ball, I dont see the speed argument having as much credence.

And I have yet to see any of his "slowness" hamper his motivation and attitude. Cant say the same for some other faster moving colleagues.

GO Catters

I'll take another 24 of his too slow touches, 8 too slow clearances and 2 too slow goals over the 12 Motlop fast touches any day of the week at the moment ( granted based on exposed JT form)

And I get the foot speed point, but when he's picked to clear the in and under ball, I dont see the speed argument having as much credence.

And I have yet to see any of his "slowness" hamper his motivation and attitude. Cant say the same for some other faster moving colleagues.

Who knows, perhaps he was told he'd have to wait until Bartel and Enright departed. There's only so many slow guys they can afford to have out there - and that I would argue is a legitimate consideration. They might also have figured he's mature enough to handle that and not get impatient or frustrated. Which it doesn't seem he is.

Like you say, if his job is to be at the bottom of the packs (which it looks like it might be), his lack of pace won't hurt as much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back