Banter 2017 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst being equally slow as Sam Mitchell, Scott west, Adrian fletcher, Paul couch: all had very good evasive skills and vision that helped them compensate for lack of speed. GHS has no evasiveness and poor vision and as a result often gets caught when disposing of the ball. Atleast he has found the ball in the past two nab games.
Yeah its true Horlin-Smith is not as good as Sam Mitchell, Scott West or Paul Couch in the limited chances he has had.

Greg Williams > Slow

show_image.php
Career : 1992 - 1997
Debut: Round 7, 1992 vs Footscray, aged 28 years, 216 days
Carlton Player No. 983
Games : 250 (109 at Carlton)
Goals : 217 (89 at Carlton)
Last Game: Round 16, 1997 vs Essendon, aged 33 years, 293 days
Guernsey No. 2
Height : 175 cm (5 ft. 9 in.)
Weight : 86 kg (13 stone, 8 lbs.)
DOB : 30 September, 1963
Premiership Player 1995
Norm Smith Medal 1995
Brownlow Medal 1994 (Also 1986 at Sydney)
Robert Reynolds Memorial Trophy - Best and Fairest 1994
All Australian: 1993 (vc), 1994 (c)
Herald Sun Player of the Year: 1993, 1994
Inside Football Player of the Year: 1993, 1994
Leigh Matthew Trophy AFLPA MVP Award: 1994
Team of the Century: Centre
AFL Team of the Century
Carlton Hall of Fame (Inducted 1999)
AFL Hall of Fame (Inducted 2001)
Yeah its true Horlin-Smith is not as good as Sam Mitchell, Scott West or Paul Couch in the limited chances he has had.
or Liam Pickering, Sean Denham or Adrian fletcher.

Given his form this pre-season I don't think you can leave GHS out. His ability to get in and under allows players like dangerfield and cockatoo to get the ball in that little bit more space which enables them to really hurt the opposition, not just when they themselves win the clearance. Over the preseason GHS has proven himself to be easily our 3rd best midfielder at doing this. Would be crazy to leave him out.

I am curious - nearly every best 22 I have seen has Thurlow in it. Any particular reason for that? His preseason has been just ok and he is coming back from 13 months out of the game. Why is he considered a sure thing for round 1?

I thought this was 2017 best 22 not necessarily for rd1,that's why some have Scooter and Kolo listed who would be no chance rd1 you would think.

I agree with You Pick One, "Best 22" is a concept with a range of definitions depending on who is posting.

Throughout 2015, I had Menzel listed in my "best 22". In round 22 he played his first match for the year, and in that game he had 20 disposals and kicked 4 goals.

My view is that if a player is on the playing list, such as Menzel in 2015, then they can be part of a 'best 22'. If injured players are not considered available for 'best 22' selection, then you might as well post your desired team in the preview thread for the next match.

Last edited:
Would you consider resting him for this game,I expect he could give us some grief with no natural match up ready on our list.
Bews should be playing on him every day of the week!

I don't understand why he's not in the team, particularly when there's an A-grade small forward in the opposition, which is what Walters is.

I'm not worried about Walters. More concerned who we play on kersten. Giving me the trembles just thinking about it.
I hope Kersten doesn't hold Henderson to 24 touches. :(

Bews should be playing on him every day of the week!

I don't understand why he's not in the team, particularly when there's an A-grade small forward in the opposition, which is what Walters is.
They want to play Bews forward, and he wasn't playing that position well enough. So he'll struggle in the VFL forward line for a year before being delisted.

They want to play Bews forward, and he wasn't playing that position well enough. So he'll struggle in the VFL forward line for a year before being delisted.
I must be on crack but it makes no sense to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then it'll be defended with "he didn't take his chances" or "he wasn't good enough". Both of those statements may be true, but he's not going to make it unless he's played where he belongs, in defence.

FB - Mackie, Lonergan, Kolodjashnij
HB - Thurlow, Henderson, Touhy
C - Duncan, S.Selwood, Guthrie
HF - Cockatoo, Taylor, Motlop
FF - Menzel, Hawkins, McCarthy
Fol - Stanley, Dangerfield, J.Selwood
Int - Cowan, Menegola, Lang, Blicavs

Missing: Stewart, Smith, Gregson (inj.), Parfitt, Murdoch, GHS, Bews, Ruggles, Z.Guthrie, Black

FB - Mackie, Lonergan, Kolodjashnij
HB - Thurlow, Henderson, Touhy
C - Duncan, S.Selwood, Guthrie
HF - Cockatoo, Taylor, Motlop
FF - Menzel, Hawkins, McCarthy
Fol - Stanley, Dangerfield, J.Selwood
Int - Cowan, Menegola, Lang, Blicavs

Missing: Stewart, Smith, Gregson (inj.), Parfitt, Murdoch, GHS, Bews, Ruggles, Z.Guthrie, Black
Do you think kolo will play off zero presesson? I didnt think he played the vfl game?

My updated best 22 for round one.

FB: THURLOW, LONERGAN, Z.GUTHRIE
HB: MACKIE, HENDERSON, TUOHY
C: DUNCAN, HORLIN-SMITH, MOTLOP
HF: MENZEL, TAYLOR, COCKATOO
FF: BLACK, HAWKINS, MCCARTHY
1R: STANLEY, DANGERFIELD, J.SELWOOD
INT: MENEGOLA, C.GUTHRIE, COWAN, BLICAVS

NOTABLE INCLUSIONS
Z.GUTHRIE: our second best small defender in the JLT behind only Tuohy - needs to be rewarded.
HORLIN-SMITH: another that should be rewarded for outstanding JLT form.
BLACK: was good in JLT1. Has been unfairly criticised for JLT2 - only played 50% TOG and had the best defender (Talia) on him. Takes another tall defender away from Hawkins & Taylor.

NOTABLE EXCLUSIONS
BEWS:
the club has given up on him as a defender, days are numbered.
LANG: didn't do enough in the JLT, and frankly I just don't rate him.
MURDOCH: looked really good in JLT3 but seems out of favour.
PARFITT: really like him but couldn't find a spot in my best 22 - I chose Black as a third tall over another crumber.
RUGGLES: not AFL quality, he'll probably play a lot this year but he's not best 22 for mine.
SMITH: the writing was put on the wall when he only had 25mins TOG in JLT3.
STEWART: looked awful in the JLT - will need to string some form together in the VFL before being considered.

INJURED: KOLODJASHNIJ, ABBOTT, GREGSON, S.SELWOOD, HOUSE, JONES, PARSONS.
THE REST: BUZZA, CUNICO, GARDNER, HAYBALL, HENRY, NARKLE, O'CONNOR, RATUGOLEA, SIMPSON.

NOTABLE INCLUSIONS
Z.GUTHRIE: our second best small defender in the JLT behind only Tuohy - needs to be rewarded.
BLACK: was good in JLT1. Has been unfairly criticised for JLT2 - only played 50% TOG and had the best defender (Talia) on him. Takes another tall defender away from Hawkins & Taylor.

NOTABLE EXCLUSIONS
BEWS:
PARFITT: really like him but couldn't find a spot in my best 22 - I chose Black as a third tall over another crumber.
RUGGLES: not AFL quality, he'll probably play a lot this year but he's not best 22 for mine.
STEWART: looked awful in the JLT - will need to string some form together in the VFL before being considered.

THE REST: BUZZA, CUNICO, GARDNER, HAYBALL, HENRY, NARKLE, O'CONNOR, RATUGOLEA, SIMPSON.

Interesting thoughts, but I think your post belongs in the Round 1 preview thread and not the "best 22" thread.
Or are you suggesting that S Selwood is not in Geelong's best 22?

NOTABLE INCLUSIONS
Z.GUTHRIE:
our second best small defender in the JLT behind only Tuohy - needs to be rewarded.

NOTABLE EXCLUSIONS
BEWS:

Bews: I still feel that Bews should be allowed to do what he does best. I could imagine him at another club looking a lot better. Do not put him under the ball , give him free reign to attack and run. Remember that Crows game last year.

Parfitt: I think he has to be in now , looks more promising than Cowan for instance.

Ruggles: He should be played before ZGuth, just too young atm

Id like to squeeze in more goal scoring ability , Narkle or Jones seem the most likely

Remove this Banner Ad

Back