Banter 2017 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

NOTABLE EXCLUSIONS
BEWS:
the club has given up on him as a defender, days are numbered.
Completely understandable given he's only got pace, youth, is a good decision maker and just beats guys like Lindsey Thomas and Eddie Betts(twice).

Nah let's not persist with him though.

Caddy's loss is underrated in this respect. Other than Danger, he was probably our most reliable goalkicking mid/resting HFF.

He was an accurate convertor from setshots , 5th or best goal kicker for us last year so thats at least a goal a game someone has to add. Having said that , I think Parfitt may be able to help more in the middle perhaps we can get the 20 from Danger and Sel , and if Linc can stay fit we are laughing.

Caddy's loss is underrated in this respect. Other than Danger, he was probably our most reliable goalkicking mid/resting HFF.
I am willing to wager that whichever midfielder(s) spends as much time forward as Caddy did in 2016 will kick as many goals. The goals just might just be spread over several of them.

Completely understandable given he's only got pace, youth, is a good decision maker and just beats guys like Lindsey Thomas and Eddie Betts(twice).

Nah let's not persist with him though.

Everyone always points to the Eddie Betts game when trying to justify Bews' spot. We smashed the Crows all over the ground in both of those games, the delivery he was receiving was amateur at best. Bews might have won the battle, but he certainly had a lot of help up the ground.

And your comment about him being a good decision maker is baffling. He's one of the worst at the club imo.

Let's not mention the fact that the perennial battler James Polkinghorne took him to the cleaners in the VFL last year.

May not be the best available against Fremantle on Sunday but here is my thoughts on the Cats strongest 22 for 2017.

BACKS: Jed Bews/Tom Ruggles ~ Tom Lonergan ~ Jake Kolodjashnij
HALF BACKS: Zach Tuohy ~ Lachie Henderson ~ Jackson Thurlow

CENTRE:
Mitch Duncan ~ Joel Selwood ~ Cameron Guthrie
FOLLOWERS: Zac Smith ~ Sam Menegola ~ Patrick Dangerfield

HALF FORWARDS:
Daniel Menzel ~ Harry Taylor ~ Nakia Cockatoo/ Lincoln McCarthy
FULL FORWARDS: Rhys Stanley ~ Tom Hawkins ~ Steven Motlop

INTERCHANGE:
Darcy Lang ~ Scott Selwood ~ Mark Blicavs ~ Lincoln McCarthy/ Nakia Cockatoo

Last edited:
Everyone always points to the Eddie Betts game when trying to justify Bews' spot. We smashed the Crows all over the ground in both of those games, the delivery he was receiving was amateur at best. Bews might have won the battle, but he certainly had a lot of help up the ground.

And your comment about him being a good decision maker is baffling. He's one of the worst at the club imo.

Let's not mention the fact that the perennial battler James Polkinghorne took him to the cleaners in the VFL last year.
His one-on-one defensive performances at AFL level last year were better than any of our current small defenders, yet he was only given games when we needed to shut the oppositions' best small forward down rather than persisting with him as a permanent back six player.

His decision making is as good as any of our small defenders and would only get better if he was given more opportunities.

IMO he's being developed poorly and I stand by that until he's given games in the seniors and proves that he's no good.

Last edited:
May not be the best available against Fremantle on Sunday but here is my thoughts on the Cats strongest 22 for 2017.

BACKS: Jed Bews/Tom Ruggles ~ Tom Lonergan ~ Jake Kolodjashnij
HALF BACKS: Zach Tuohy ~ Lachie Henderson ~ Jackson Thurlow

CENTRE:
Mitch Duncan ~ Joel Selwood ~ Cameron Guthrie
FOLLOWERS: Zac Smith ~ Sam Menegola ~ Patrick Dangerfield

HALF FORWARDS:
Daniel Menzel ~ Harry Taylor ~ Nakia Cockatoo/ Lincoln McCarthy
FULL FORWARDS: Rhys Stanley ~ Tom Hawkins ~ Steven Motlop

INTERCHANGE:
Darcy Lang ~ Scott Selwood ~ Mark Blicavs ~ Lincoln McCarthy/ Nakia Cockatoo

Interesting . . . no Mackie?

Interesting . . . no Mackie?

Not an easy call to leave him out and it will depend on who the opposition is/ balance and match ups.

Another factor to consider is how well Thurlow integrates back into AFL footy but in my opinion Mackie would be just as valuable in a playing/ assistant coaching/ mentoring role at the VFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not an easy call to leave him out and it will depend on who the opposition is/ balance and match ups.

Another factor to consider is how well Thurlow integrates back into AFL footy but in my opinion Mackie would be just as valuable in a playing/ assistant coaching/ mentoring role at the VFL level.

You should post more on this subject.
You obviously know your footy.

Couldn't agree more.
Mackie starts off each year in pretty reasonable form before taking a significant u-turn mid year. Won't be any different this season.

Do people think that Stewart is ahead of Kolojashnij as the third tall defender?

I think its line ball, maybe Kolo is slightly better as a defender, but Stewart may have better offensive attributes.

Either way, with Lonergan and Mackie likely to retire at end of this season or next, both Stewart and Kolo are long term required players IMO.

Do people think that Stewart is ahead of Kolojashnij as the third tall defender?

I think its line ball, maybe Kolo is slightly better as a defender, but Stewart may have better offensive attributes.

Either way, with Lonergan and Mackie likely to retire at end of this season or next, both Stewart and Kolo are long term required players IMO.

Kolodjashnij is superior in every way in my opinion.
Don't let his absence trick you into believing he's been passed on by. Stewart has looked the goods but he's a battler and always will be. No different to Tom Ruggles whereas Kolodjashnij is going to be like Stratton and Lonergan all rolled into one nifty defender.

No. And I'm far from convinced about Kolodjashnij either.

Kolodjashnij is superior in every way in my opinion.
Don't let his absence trick you into believing he's been passed on by. Stewart has looked the goods but he's a battler and always will be. No different to Tom Ruggles whereas Kolodjashnij is going to be like Stratton and Lonergan all rolled into one nifty defender.
Yeah, you might be right, his absence has made me think twice on this subject.

B: Tuohy Lonergan Henderson
HB: Mackie Taylor Thurlow
C: Guthrie Menegola Duncan
HF: Motlop Stanley Cockatoo
F: Menzel Hawkins McCarthy
R: Smith Dangerfield J Selwood
I: Blicavs S Selwood Cowan Horlin-Smith
E: Kolo Lang Stewart

Remove this Banner Ad

Back