E: Parfitt Cowan Lang

B: Tuohy, Henderson, Mackie
HB: Thurlow, Taylor, Guthrie
C: Duncan, Menegola, Murdoch
HF: Cockatoo, Menzel, Motlop
F: McCarthy, Hawkins, Parfitt

Foll: Smith, Dangerfield, J.Selwood
Int: Blicavs, Horlin-Smith, Stewart, S.Selwood

- There's only room for two of Lonergan, Henderson and Taylor.....Lonergan given age draws the short straw.
- Only one of Smith and Stanley with Blicavs 2nd ruck..........I'm still undecided which one.
- GHS & S.Selwood competing with Ruggles & Bews for the last spot all bringing something different.

I'm not against giving Stanley a go at CHF but that means one of Blicavs or Smith need to be dropped. Against the right ruckmen (those under 200cm) I'd be okay with Blicavs sharing more of the rucking load.

All three play the same sort of role, all 3 lack pace, the MC haven't played Menegola and GHS together yet let alone adding Scooter to the mix as well.

I think it is an issue, clearly if you picked our top 22 on ability all of Scott Selwood Menegola and GHS are in it ahead of guys like Stewart Cowan Murdoch and even Ruggles Parsons and maybe Thurlow IMO but team balance is an issue.

You could play all three but if you did I think Duncan would either have to play more of a wing role and/or Guthrie would have to play back and Duncan seems to play his best footy when played more through the centre square and they seem to be reluctant to put Guthrie back.

So it is our best 22 whether they will do structurally I don't know.

I expect we will wrestle with this issue as well as the ones around who the second KPF is, what rucks we use and Lonergan/Kolo/Stewart all year.

I think it is an issue, clearly if you picked our top 22 on ability all of Scott Selwood Menegola and GHS are in it ahead of guys like Stewart Cowan Murdoch and even Ruggles Parsons and maybe Thurlow IMO but team balance is an issue.

You could play all three but if you did I think Duncan would either have to play more of a wing role and/or Guthrie would have to play back and Duncan seems to play his best footy when played more through the centre square and they seem to be reluctant to put Guthrie back.

So it is our best 22 whether they will do structurally I don't know.

I expect we will wrestle with this issue as well as the ones around who the second KPF is, what rucks we use and Lonergan/Kolo/Stewart all year.
Which I think is healthy anyway. We should always be playing horses for courses, as well as allowing for form. To have a fixed best 22 is now a naive concept. Even CS has said we have a best 30 plus, and from that we select the best 22 for that game.

For me currently:

B: Mackie Lonergan Kolo
HB: Tuohy Henderson Guthrie
C: Duncan SSelwood Menegola
HF: Motlop Taylor McCarthy
F: Menzel Hawkins Cockatoo
R: Smith Dangerfield JSelwood
Int: Blicavs GHS Parfitt Ruggles

Emg: Stanley Murdoch Thurlow Stewart

My issue is I prefer Taylor forward structurally to only one KPF or Menzel 2nd KPF but in an ideal world I would like to drop Lonergan who I think is looking shaky but if Taylor plays forward I am not sure if we are too thin with Henderson Kolo and Stewart as the 3 KPDs (they will always play 3kpds) hence why I have kept Lonergan now. Happy to drop him if Taylor goes back and Stanley to CHF.

We can and probably should play all of Scooter Menegola and GHS but it will force Guthrie to play back. I prefer Guthrie to guys like Bews/Stewart/Ruggles anyway but unsure what MC will do.

CS indicated Smith/Stanley will be lineball all year and Blicavs will probably be 2nd ruck.

The last one or two bench spots you could raffle between Parfitt and Thurlow/Ruggles/Stewart/Bews/Lang (hopefully not Cowan). I have picked 2 of them but it's lineball on most.

Last edited:
For me currently:

B: Mackie Lonergan Kolo
HB: Tuohy Henderson Guthrie
C: Duncan SSelwood Menegola
HF: Motlop Taylor Parfitt
F: Menzel Hawkins Cockatoo
R: Smith Dangerfield JSelwood
Int: Blicavs GHS Ruggles Murdoch

Emg: Stanley Thurlow Stewart

My issue is I prefer Taylor forward structurally to only one KPF or Menzel 2nd KPF but in an ideal world I would like to drop Lonergan who I think is looking shaky but if Taylor plays forward I am not sure if we are too thin with Henderson Kolo and Stewart as the 3 KPDs (they will always play 3kpds) hence why I have kept Lonergan now. Happy to drop him if Taylor goes back and Stanley to CHF.

We can and probably should play all of Scooter Menegola and GHS but it will force Guthrie to play back. I prefer Guthrie to guys like Bews/Stewart/Ruggles anyway but unsure what MC will do.

CS indicated Smith/Stanley will be lineball all year and Blicavs will probably be 2nd ruck.

The last couple of bench spots you could raffle between Thurlow/Ruggles/Stewart/Bews/Lang (hopefully not Cowan). I have picked 2 of them but it's lineball on most.

McCarthy not in your best 25? Deliberate or an oversight?

Which I think is healthy anyway. We should always be playing horses for courses, as well as allowing for form. To have a fixed best 22 is now a naive concept. Even CS has said we have a best 30 plus, and from that we select the best 22 for that game.

Sure, but the idea of a 'best 22' is only a hypothetical concept anyway. We have the match preview threads for suggesting who should play in the next match.

Sure, but the idea of a 'best 22' is only a hypothetical concept anyway. We have the match preview threads for suggesting who should play in the next match.
Like many things, overanalysed, but we love it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McCarthy not in your best 25? Deliberate or an oversight?

Sorry oversight. He would go in for murdoch.

I like cockatoos forward pressure and would like to keep him and parfitt in if possible.

To be clear: balancing for the future and the now (otherwise Cockatoo/Parfitt may not be there):

FB: Kolodjashnij, Henderson, Ruggles
HB: Tuohy, Taylor, Mackie
C: Menegola, Guthrie, Blicavs
HF: Motlop, Stanley, Parfitt
F: McCarthy, Hawkins, Menzel
R: Smith, Dangerfield, Selwood
INT: Horlin-Smith, Cockatoo, Duncan, S Selwood

In some ways, there doesn't seem to be the room to play both of Lonergan and Stanley - it does rule out a few numbers who you'd like to have on the ball.

Last edited:
To be clear: balancing for the future and the now (otherwise Cockatoo/Parfitt may not be there):

INT: Horlin-Smith, Cockatoo, Thurlow, S Selwood

In some ways, there doesn't seem to be the room to play both of Lonergan and Stanley - it does rule out a few numbers who you'd like to have on the ball.
You missed Duncan Jez

Same for me thanks.

No Thurlow? Reckon he'll be in your 22 in a month or less.

I think it's probably him, Horlin-Smith and Cockatoo fighting for the two spots. Cockatoo has the highest ceiling, but Thurlow is just so out of touch at the moment. Hopefully it turns around...

I thought he was a bit better yesterday than the week before. Coming off a reco and year off he'll need a month or so to get his touch back.

I think it's probably him, Horlin-Smith and Cockatoo fighting for the two spots. Cockatoo has the highest ceiling, but Thurlow is just so out of touch at the moment. Hopefully it turns around...
I'd love to see Thurlow on a wing.

We've got a lot of options coming off HB now and I just think that with a bit more freedom and a little less defensive pressure on him, he could thrive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back