2017 best & fairest winners

Remove this Banner Ad

What is the record for most games without a top 10 placing in their club B+F?

Don't know, I only have the top 10's back to 1996 when they started appearing in the AFL Season Guide.

Since then it's Josh Hunt (212), followed by Scott Welsh & Thomas (205).
What’s the breakdown by average top 10 ages Ron The Bear ?

Hawthorn’s looks the oldest by a fair way. I don’t think their mid season “quickest rebuild ever” will have much sustainability.

24.97 Western Bulldogs
25.02 Collingwood
25.12 Brisbane
25.36 St.Kilda
25.40 Sydney
25.50 GWS
25.79 Gold Coast
26.48 Fremantle
26.54 Carlton
26.77 Essendon
26.81 Richmond
26.88 Adelaide
27.01 North Melbourne
27.18 Geelong
27.35 Port Adelaide
27.62 Hawthorn
28.16 West Coast

Hawthorn would be hoping to get a lot more from Rioli/Birchall/O'Meara/Frawley who finished in the 20's.

Last edited:
Collingwood's count was odd to me - Sidebottom's year was pretty underwhelming in comparison to previous seasons, he was probably our sixth best in the eyes of most on our board. Howe or Adams the popular top two, then Grundy/Treloar, then Pendlebury due to injuries then Sidebottom.

An interesting omission was Lynden Dunn, who I thought would have at least displaced Brayden Maynard. In 17 games, Dunn only lost one battle against an opposition forward, when Kennedy kicked 6 in a little over a half but we still won the game.

Don't know, I only have the top 10's back to 1996 when they started appearing in the AFL Season Guide.

24.97 Western Bulldogs
25.02 Collingwood
25.12 Brisbane
25.36 St.Kilda
25.40 Sydney
25.50 GWS
25.79 Gold Coast
26.48 Fremantle
26.54 Carlton
26.77 Essendon
26.81 Richmond
26.88 Adelaide
27.01 North Melbourne
27.18 Geelong
27.35 Port Adelaide
27.62 Hawthorn
28.16 West Coast

Hawthorn would be hoping to get a lot more from Rioli/Birchall/O'Meara/Frawley who finished in the 20's.
Jesus, West Coast’s is ancient. Hawthorn not much better.

Still bullish on the Dogs long term. They were young last year, young again this year. Quality is still obviously there.

I think it's us. The youngest (albeit the winner) is already 24. Four over 30s too.
So it seems. Still, no one is claiming West Coast is going through a renaissance, and their best 10 is only slightly older than Hawthorn’s.

And only one of Hawthorn’s best is “retiring”.

Jesus, West Coast’s is ancient. Hawthorn not much better.

Still bullish on the Dogs long term. They were young last year, young again this year. Quality is still obviously there.

Not so important if younger players are poised to step into the top ten and do an equivalent job.

Yeah I'm expecting the Dogs to bounce back.

Not so important if younger players are poised to step into the top ten and do an equivalent job.

Yeah I'm expecting the Dogs to bounce back.
I don’t think people realise how young and talented the Dogs core is. People still seem to be in the mindset that GWS have all the young talent.

I agree re Hawthorn and West Coast’s age profiles, there could be talent we don’t know about ready to replace your current lineup. But it’s a bit like Hird winning the BnF in his last year. If you had the talent to step up in a year you missed finals, then you wouldn’t be relying on your older blokes so much.

There is talent there. The guy being groomed to replace Priddis/Mitchell for example is 22, finished 11th in our B+F and has rapidly improved.

The key is continuing to blood new talent, at the moment we are one of the worst in the AFL at doing so. Need to find out whether our draftees are good enough, I feel our flag window closes when Naitanui calls it quits.

I don’t think people realise how young and talented the Dogs core is. People still seem to be in the mindset that GWS have all the young talent.

I agree re Hawthorn and West Coast’s age profiles, there could be talent we don’t know about ready to replace your current lineup. But it’s a bit like Hird winning the BnF in his last year. If you had the talent to step up in a year you missed finals, then you wouldn’t be relying on your older blokes so much.
Actually to a sensible person neither the Bulldogs or us have all the young talent. It's spread more widely than that. Bulldogs problem is more the list vlbalance surely. Apart from English, where's the developing KPP?

Collingwood's count was odd to me - Sidebottom's year was pretty underwhelming in comparison to previous seasons, he was probably our sixth best in the eyes of most on our board. Howe or Adams the popular top two, then Grundy/Treloar, then Pendlebury due to injuries then Sidebottom.

An interesting omission was Lynden Dunn, who I thought would have at least displaced Brayden Maynard. In 17 games, Dunn only lost one battle against an opposition forward, when Kennedy kicked 6 in a little over a half but we still won the game.
It's not the Brownlow.
The Copeland voting system has always favoured those who play the maximum amount of games. It's part of the "reward" for representing the club on the field for as many games as you can.
You miss 5/6 games or more and you really can't win - look at Pendles.

It's not the Brownlow.
The Copeland voting system has always favoured those who play the maximum amount of games. It's part of the "reward" for representing the club on the field for as many games as you can.
You miss 5/6 games or more and you really can't win - look at Pendles.

Even so, Sidebottom polled the most votes per game.

24.97 Western Bulldogs
25.02 Collingwood
25.12 Brisbane
25.36 St.Kilda
25.40 Sydney
25.50 GWS
25.79 Gold Coast
26.48 Fremantle
26.54 Carlton
26.77 Essendon
26.81 Richmond
26.88 Adelaide
27.01 North Melbourne
27.18 Geelong
27.35 Port Adelaide
27.62 Hawthorn
28.16 West Coast

Good to see that we were either 4th or 5th youngest (pending the Melbourne results), yet still a chance to make the 8 as late as the last day of the season.

Depending on what happens in the trade period, we're a chance to have the least experienced list in the AFL next year, with Hodge joining Brisbane.

Lots of work for West Coast and North to do by the looks of it and probably Hawthorn to.

Last edited:
Is Sam Gibson the first to be delisted after finishing top 6 in the B&F? I know he's getting on but would a contender think about picking him up for midfield depth?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Sam Gibson the first to be delisted after finishing top 6 in the B&F? I know he's getting on but would a contender think about picking him up for midfield depth?

I’d say he’d be worth a look on a 150k contract for either a contender, or a super young mob where he could add some training rigour, good attitude etc. looking at you, GC.

That 3 next to Dangerfield made me question when he came to the Cats. :eek:

Collingwood kinda pushed Leon Davis into delisting/retirement after asking him to take a $100K pay cut after making the AA team.

A few have retired after high finishes, e.g. Brent Harvey last year after finishing 5th. Ling retired at 30 after finishing 4th with a flag.

Last edited:
Collingwood kinda pushed Leon Davis into delisting/retirement after asking him to take a $100K pay cut after making the AA team.

A few have retired after high finishes, e.g. Brent Harvey last year after finishing 5th. Ling retired at 30 after finishing 4th with a flag.
Yeah story goes that earlier in the year Leon indicated that it would be his last.

Then later in year he was keen to go on, but the cash wasn't there. Other players had been signed up in the interim. In addition to keeping our stars, young premiership players like Toovey, Goldsack and Macaffer were signed up.

Leon then decided it wasn't worth him keeping his family in Vic for what the Pies were able to pay, but no other AFL club wanted him and he was done.

Boomer finished pretty high before not being offered a contract. Not sure how high though, was definitely top 10 though.

EDIT: Boomer finished 5th last year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back