BigFooty Official 2017 Big Footy Phantom Draft .....Trial Run (Starts Monday 9am)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 66 Richmond - Aiden Bonar

Balanced Midfielder/Medium Utility (Haileybury College/Dandenong Stingrays)
08/03/1999 | 190cm | 89kg

Don't think anyone here has mentioned him, but another player I'd have inside 50 draft wise.

Coming off two ACLs in 3 seasons he's played very little, but his vision at Haileybury College has been promising and no doubt clubs will be watching him closely when he plays his first game in about 12 months on Saturday for Dandenong Stingrays.

He's a big frame and tackles hard & has been working towards his debut for a long time with a lot of rehab. He looks like an 'animal' with his strong frame and watching him run around for Haileybury as their runner - you can see he's a been hitting the gym.

His teammates at Dandenong & Haileybury say he is one of the best players they've even played with or against -- and that's good enough for me at Pick 66.
Terrific selection in a weak draft that it is the type of risk to take on a kid with two knee recos

Sorry for this question, not sure where else to ask it.

If a team opens up 4 list spots for the draft, but only drafts 3 players, then passes, this gives them an extra spot in the rookie draft correct?

Can the team then pre-select a player they delisted earlier for the rookie draft? And because the player is pre-selected, he gets picked up with a late rookie draft pick and not the teams first rookie pick?

If a team opens up 4 list spots for the draft, but only drafts 3 players, then passes, this gives them an extra spot in the rookie draft correct?

Yes.

Can the team then pre-select a player they delisted earlier for the rookie draft? And because the player is pre-selected, he gets picked up with a late rookie draft pick and not the teams first rookie pick?

No and no. If a player is delisted the delisting club has no priority access to that player. The player has go to through the normal drafting process.

PIck 43 writeup (North Melbourne) Harry Simington - Medium Midfielder

Pros:
Accurate kick
Good decision maker
Tall midfielder
good movement in traffic

Cons:
Endurance needs work
Average speed
Not a major ball-winner

Reasons: This pick would be in reality moderated upon athleticsm demonstrated in the draft but Simington probably is a flanker at the next level and what I value in midfielders that play mainly flanks is the ability to use the ball and the height to be useful in the air. Simmington is close to tall medium height and is a good size. I did also consider going tall at this pick but ideally you want to take them at a rookie level so that they don't take up the space on the main list whilst they develop.

Pick 69 - Geelong - Jackson Ross - Eastern Ranges
192cm 75kg 22/06/99

Massive steal here for Geelong this kid could be anything

Ross started his year for Eastern playing on the Wing, he played as a tall winger and would have huge kicking numbers although his kicking isnt amazing its still decent enough he wasn't considered a top 50 pick for me at this stage. Since the early rounds he played school football for Haileybury, I attended a game against Wesley and was surprised to see him named up forward. Not only did he look good forward he looked sensational in the wet conditions he kicked 4 goals in an impressive display that quickly had him rise up my draft board. His clean hands in the wet and agility to get around opponents was sensational. He looks like a forward to me and he recently played forward for Eastern kicking 5 goals from 23 touches. For Haileybury he kicked 20 goals from 7 games.

Reasons

This kids upside is enormous, he is such a great mover for his size and incredibly clean at ground level he would be an extremely hard match-up at AFL level for his height and athleticism. This kid was extremely stiff to miss out on Metro selection and id be shocked if he doesn't get picked this year, his upside is just too great and he could become a gem for Geelong who shouldn't let this kid go past here.

Snoop Dog
Also Gryan Miers profile is done

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 61 Writeup (North) Hugh Dixon - Tall key Forward (Maybe Back)

Pros:
(1) Proper KP size
(2)Good marking hands
(3) Quite agile for a big bloke
(4) footy smarts

Cons
(1) Looks a bit slow
(2) Not a great leap
(3) Looks to be carrying a bit too much weight

Reasons: There are definitely some nice aspects here to Dixon's game that have the potential to be AFL level though I think again I think you would be better off developing him at a rookie level. We need to see his athletic results; I worry a bit that the lack of speed thing could be a clincher - Eg. Freo had Ryan Murphy and now have to a lesser degree Matt Taberner who struggle to get out on a lead at AFL level but smashed it at the next level down because they are big and strong. One thing that Dixon does have over those types is a better turning circle and he seems quite agile. He also clearly has a footy brain and doesn't take long to execute by hand or footy. To this end in line with another comment someone made, I wonder if he be a good CHB.

Pick # 63. West Coast.

Tom De Koning . 200cm 92 kg. KPF. Dandenong Stingrays / Vic Cty.

View attachment 392066

In a draft short of tall forwards the 200cm left footer is very raw but has shown glimpses of talent that is noteworthy ( namely a bag of 9 goals last year ) .
He is a pick that you are going to need to slot away for the future as he is four years away ..... Just in time for Kennedy to move on.
Still growing so the coordination won't be fully assessable till his height stabilises .
Has good hands and a nice kicking style and for his height he is good below his knees.
Patience is going to needed as he will take some time to develop into an AFL player as his wirey frame needs some bulk added to it.
While he can give a chop out in the ruck I see him primarily as a Key Forward. I see the potential for him to morph into a Ben Brown type player and just like Brown it will take time.
IMO very much worth taking a punt on Tom as I see low risk , high reward at pick # 63.

I think he would be a good pick up late. He was my next selection. Just shows enough in the forward and ruck role. He changed the momentum when he went into the ruck in a couple of the VC games. Fair bit to work with.

# 70 GWS - Trent Mynott / Eastern Ranges / 184cm / 70kg

Something about this kid quite like and to be fair there are still a few I would be happy with around here that have just shown some really good glimpses.

Averages 26 touches in his 3 TAC games and he is equally good inside and out. Its his work inside the contest that catches the eye. Huge contested ball winner and defensively works really hard. Lovely mover through traffic and has good foot skills. Came into champs and played a few different roles and thought he acquitted himself really well. Some of the things he did just screamed class. You just wonder what he could be when that body fills out to an AFL size. I'm pretty hopeful for him actually.

Must admit bit surprised still here so be interested in what others make of him.

# 70 GWS - Trent Mynott / Eastern Ranges / 184cm / 70kg

Something about this kid quite like and to be fair there are still a few I would be happy with around here that have just shown some really good glimpses.

Averages 26 touches in his 3 TAC games and he is equally good inside and out. Its his work inside the contest that catches the eye. Huge contested ball winner and defensively works really hard. Lovely mover through traffic and has good foot skills. Came into champs and played a few different roles and thought he acquitted himself really well. Some of the things he did just screamed class. You just wonder what he could be when that body fills out to an AFL size. I'm pretty hopeful for him actually.

Must admit bit surprised still here so be interested in what others make of him.
He was my pick if Ross was gone. Taken some nice players in this Snoop Dog

Who are the best players who were overlooked in the Championships for whatever reason? Guys like Josh Begley, Oliver etc

Is Callum Porter a guy who could surprise some on draft day?

Who are the best players who were overlooked in the Championships for whatever reason? Guys like Josh Begley, Oliver etc

He is a tackling machine and he played pretty well in the Country trials aswell, can play anywhere aswell he still looks a late pick though

Pick 61 Writeup (North) Hugh Dixon - Tall key Forward (Maybe Back)

Pros:
(1) Proper KP size
(2)Good marking hands
(3) Quite agile for a big bloke
(4) footy smarts

Cons
(1) Looks a bit slow
(2) Not a great leap
(3) Looks to be carrying a bit too much weight

Reasons: There are definitely some nice aspects here to Dixon's game that have the potential to be AFL level though I think again I think you would be better off developing him at a rookie level. We need to see his athletic results; I worry a bit that the lack of speed thing could be a clincher - Eg. Freo had Ryan Murphy and now have to a lesser degree Matt Taberner who struggle to get out on a lead at AFL level but smashed it at the next level down because they are big and strong. One thing that Dixon does have over those types is a better turning circle and he seems quite agile. He also clearly has a footy brain and doesn't take long to execute by hand or footy. To this end in line with another comment someone made, I wonder if he be a good CHB.

Think it's his first year playing forward at rep level has played back in previous carnivals. Big bonus for a young forward is ability to organise and marshall those around him. KM write up from 2 of the champ games really emphasised his contested possies which you would hope said something about his ability to compete and stay involved

I do get a very Clayton Oliver feel from Porter, not necessarily in game style, but that he'll rise from obscurity to be taken. Would not be surprised at all if he goes in the national draft.

I do get a very Clayton Oliver feel from Porter, not necessarily in game style, but that he'll rise from obscurity to be taken. Would not be surprised at all if he goes in the national draft.

I have 3 in that category....Porter, Domic, Henderson. Love to branch out into a rookie draft if possible after this to see else might get a shot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back