BigFooty Official 2017 Big Footy Phantom Draft .....Trial Run (Starts Monday 9am)

Remove this Banner Ad

I was considering McLean with my next pick, because Fremantle fans won't let me draft for them again without taking a ruck/forward. But I won't out of principle now.

He's a rookie for me. Best comparison I can think of is Luke Strnadica. McLean certainly looks the part of a ruckman...with his speed and turning circle at least.

I was considering McLean with my next pick, because Fremantle fans won't let me draft for them again without taking a ruck/forward. But I won't out of principle now.

He's a rookie for me. Best comparison I can think of is Luke Strnadica. McLean certainly looks the part of a ruckman...with his speed and turning circle at least.

I thought about McLean and also Nathan Richards; I think Richards is slightly better but ultimately these players, probably DeKoning, Frampton and maybe also Dixon make sense for clubs to leave until the rookie list. This isn't to say there isn't potential there, but it will take time to develop and get to a point where it can be properly evaluated. For mine Picks 60 onwards are a better time to either take a mature player or upgrade a rookie.

Pick #71 - Adelaide - Alex Aurrichio 198cm 107kg South Adelaide

Some may wonder who the hell this is but I remember watching him one day in a ressies game and his sheer ruck dominance and physical competitiveness really caught my eye. He's an American who played a couple of years in the VFL (mostly ressies) before coming to South. Huge brute of a man in ripping condition, very strong one on one and will easily move other players around rag doll style in the ruck or marking contests. Can take a good contested mark and tackles very well for a big man. Dives in for repeated efforts and fights for the ball when it hits the ground. Kicking very awkward at times but still accurate and can hit the scoreboard. You can see he is still learning the game but I would say he is the best ruckman in the SANFL ressies atm along with maybe Sweet and possibly Miller. Has beaten both of those guys though when playing on them. Not blessed with huge pace or big endurance which will be the big thing holding him back but clearly a hard worker. He's 25 but has got plenty of improvement left and the crows are after a decent ruckman to come in, I reckon in an AFL environment he'd really take off and turn into a Mumford style ruck so no real risk throwing pick 71 his way. Should debut in SANFL soon hopefully.

My bad must have got the age from when he was playing in the VFL. 27 and still new, prob more like a 25yo anyways. Should have 6 or 7 years in him at least. Hope he smashes it this week.

Correct he is 27. Played VFL last year for Northern Blues (or year before) If I'm not mistaken.

Yeah Northern Blues last year. Athletic beast. Fitted in well at South and is always wanting to learn. Played several sports throughout his life too. Just pure beast. Will be watching with intent today

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My last pick I usually go for a smokey from SA or one of the Division 2 sides, but I think this guy is too good. And not many people seem to be talking about him anyway...

#78 Fremantle - Jordan Johnston (184cm, 76kg from GWV Rebels)

I'll do a proper write up later. Talented medium sized forward, didn't get a great run at the Championships but I have him inside my top 50 at the moment. Think he does a lot of things well. Good with his disposal, a strong overhead mark and effective around goals. There's midfield potential there too. Should go earlier than this in my opinion.

I apologise to Fremantle fans, but there's just no tall I'm particularly interested in. And those I do like are best played as defenders, or not quite KPP size. A few of the Allies guys were close - Langlands, Buechner, Highmore. Otherwise, Brad McCarthy was by far the highest player I had next.

My last pick I usually go for a smokey from SA or one of the Division 2 sides, but I think this guy is too good. And not many people seem to be talking about him anyway...

#78 Fremantle - Jordan Johnston (184cm, 76kg from GWV Rebels)

I'll do a proper write up later. Talented medium sized forward, didn't get a great run at the Championships but I have him inside my top 50 at the moment. Think he does a lot of things well. Good with his disposal, a strong overhead mark and effective around goals. There's midfield potential there too. Should go earlier than this in my opinion.

I apologise to Fremantle fans, but there's just no tall I'm particularly interested in. And those I do like are best played as defenders, or not quite KPP size. A few of the Allies guys were close - Langlands, Buechner, Highmore. Otherwise, Brad McCarthy was by far the highest player I had next.

Very good pick and real value at 78.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#79 Western Bulldogs - David Handley (181cm forward from the Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)

Bio: goal kicking half forward who is a composed user, pressures and sets up scoring chains as well as kicking goals himself. He also is smart footballer and moves into dangerous spots regularly.

Why?: Dogs really lack forwards who kick goals and set them up. I think of Handley as a player who can take the spot of the aging Tory Dickson in the dogs set up.

-will expand on this a bit later-

Last edited:
Pick 74 Carlton - Kyron Hayden - 185cm 85kgs

Kyron is an inside midfielder beast of a player and I thought he looked like a SPP clone without the explosive speed. I have a feeling he may lack a little endurance as well.

Great inside work, nice fend off and I like his hands around the contest. I think his kicking is very solid as well and I could see with some improved endurance he could get to a lot more contests. He has elements of Ollie Wines to his game style, very big bodied midfield that gets his hands free in a contest and hardly ever goes to ground.
Watched him in the first two WA home games and he was one of the better midfielders on the ground and the televised games did not show his true potential.

May only be a rookie selection, but this draft is heading out to rookie picks anyway, so a great pick up here. Cripps and Hayden in a midfield could provide a heap of strength around the ball.

Pick 80 Essendon Aaron Darling 178cm 83kg small forward/ midfielder Dandenong Stingrays
Aaron has not played this year as he has required a knee reconstruction. Not really what the Bombers need but he suits the way the Bombers play and he is a very good footballer who is quite frankly better than a lot of blokes picked. (including some blokes I have selected)
Aaron has speed, power, aggression and good kicking skills especially around the goals.
This year was supposed to be the year he moved into the midfield to show he has the capacity to do that at the elite level.
I believe his rehabilitation is going pretty well and this pick is realistically a rookie selection which undersells Aaron's ability.
Aaron is an AIS squad member and has some tricks.
Pick Rationale
I was going to take Lloyd Meek or Jackson Hille at this selection but Darling is in my best 40 players so I feel I have to stay true to my rankings.
Meek has improved a hell of a lot this yearend shows a bit of promise and is a rookie chance while Hille has size and aggression and is one who would flourish in the AFL system and has an AFL type body.

Pick 74 Carlton - Kyron Hayden - 185cm 85kgs

Kyron is an inside midfielder beast of a player and I thought he looked like a SPP clone without the explosive speed. I have a feeling he may lack a little endurance as well.

Great inside work, nice fend off and I like his hands around the contest. I think his kicking is very solid as well and I could see with some improved endurance he could get to a lot more contests. He has elements of Ollie Wines to his game style, very big bodied midfield that gets his hands free in a contest and hardly ever goes to ground.
Watched him in the first two WA home games and he was one of the better midfielders on the ground and the televised games did not show his true potential.

May only be a rookie selection, but this draft is heading out to rookie picks anyway, so a great pick up here. Cripps and Hayden in a midfield could provide a heap of strength around the ball.

Bugger.

Pick 80 Essendon Aaron Darling 178cm 83kg small forward/ midfielder Dandenong Stingrays
Aaron has not played this year as he has required a knee reconstruction. Not really what the Bombers need but he suits the way the Bombers play and he is a very good footballer who is quite frankly better than a lot of blokes picked. (including some blokes I have selected)
Aaron has speed, power, aggression and good kicking skills especially around the goals.
This year was supposed to be the year he moved into the midfield to show he has the capacity to do that at the elite level.
I believe his rehabilitation is going pretty well and this pick is realistically a rookie selection which undersells Aaron's ability.
Aaron is an AIS squad member and has some tricks.
Pick Rationale
I was going to take Lloyd Meek or Jackson Hille at this selection but Darling is in my best 40 players so I feel I have to stay true to my rankings.
Meek has improved a hell of a lot this yearend shows a bit of promise and is a rookie chance while Hille has size and aggression and is one who would flourish in the AFL system and has an AFL type body.

Double bugger.

Pick # 81. West Coast.

Christian Ameduri. 187cm 76kg. Midfield. East Perth / Noranda.

518365.jpg

Ameduri is a composed midfielder that can also play on a HFF , he is one of those players that don't have any standout features but at the same time neither does he have too many weaknesses. In many ways he is a very similar player and has the many of the same traits as Starcevich his East Perth team mate but moves a lot faster and freer that Starcevich.
He doesn't mind the contest and puts his head over the ball and will take the contact but still get the ball away cleanly.
He is a good mover and has as a big tank and runs games out.
Fierce, team orientated and a real competitor.
I thought he was one of WA's unsung heroes across the championships.
Frequently get on the score board.
He has a lot of traits to his game that I believe will transition well to AFL. He is one of the kids I think has a fair bit of development in him and think he is a good value pick up this late in the draft.

ringo1 your up.

Pick # 81. West Coast.

Christian Ameduri. 187cm 76kg. Midfield. East Perth / Noranda.

This is another player that looked a lot better when I watched him live than the broadcast game.

Looked lively around the forward 50m and showed potential. I watched him I think in the third live game and he did not impress me as much, so he dropped from my radar a little.

Pick 82 Darby Henderson Bendigo Pioneers- Sydney Swans
176cm 72kg 14.2 14.2 28.4

I'm thinking Henderson is more a Rookie but the lack of depth in this draft allows me to slot him in here for the Swans. Averaging 28 disposals a game , I feel he was stiff not to play Nationals. I see him as a McGlynn type that I feel the Swans could use on the SCG to advantage.He would add depth to the midfield and be a player that would suit the Swans game style. Great with his hands in traffic and hard at the contest, Henderson needs to work on his kick. Can kick a goal but I feel that his best asset is to bring others into the game. A midfielder with a big engine I can see him improving in the AFL system

Last edited:
West Coast currently have Lochie O'Brien - Sam Taylor - Bailey Banfield and Tom De Koning.

Interesting drafting by by Monocle so far and I found his thoughts with our pick 1 intriguing. For me I believe that the need is for more of a small forward than a midfielder.

No disrespect to O'Brien's play, I really like the way he goes about it and saw his game against WA against Etihad live and his long bomb goal in the 3rd quarter was sensational. Very clean by foot and a long kick but doesn't directly address our major need in my humble opinion.

If we go to the draft with a pick around 10 (where it sits now) and pass up on Jack Higgins, personally I'd be rather filthy. Fits our current list needs to a tee and even more so with LeCras nearing the end and Josh Hill really being a use in case of emergency type now.

Sam Taylor pick I do like. I liked the carnival of both WA KPD's in Naughton and Taylor. Naughton was the more aggressive defender of the two and looked to counter more but Taylor's game in Round 1 against SA battling a bigger opponent in Coleman Jones impressed me. More of a lock down key defender which we do need for the future.

Agree with the sentiments on Bailey Banfield but a mature age/ state league midfielder in general would be good here. Another midfielder i like from the WAFL is Tim Kelly from South Fremantle. Would give the midfield some inside dash and pizazz that we are lacking.

Tom De Koning I watched live against WA at Etihad as well and he was very quiet as a key forward. Battled hard in the ruck to get himself in the game but that game as a whole wasn't suited to tall players. Oscar Allen as a tall lead up forward was the dominant tall forward on the day. Very keen on a ruck or taller forward later in the draft/ rookie draft especially a project ruckman (Lloyd Meek) and or someone from a state league like Tom Goodwin.

If we go to the draft with a pick around 10 (where it sits now) and pass up on Jack Higgins, personally I'd be rather filthy. Fits our current list needs to a tee and even more so with LeCras nearing the end and Josh Hill really being a use in case of emergency type now.

Had the pleasure of seeing him live a few times and think he would be a great pick up anywhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back